Intent and Frustration ---Give up?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
KylePK

Re: Intent and Frustration ---Give up?

Postby KylePK » 17 Jan 2013 07:06

KungFuPanther wrote:Take it from someone who doesn't achieve at anything. ANYTHING. I struggle with drawing, school, a social life (I'm home-schooled and hardly see the light of day), Even doing simple stupid stuff like running 10 feet (asthma). And just like you, I want to lucid dream so bad, but I probably won't, because nothing I do works.

That's how I used to look at things. Now, I only learned about lucid dreaming 2 weeks ago, And I understand that you haven't had a lucid dream in a year, so I can only imagine what your frustration might be. And you're right, without reason, without drive, nobody would achieve anything. That's exactly how I think. I said the same words myself many times. Instead of forgetting about lucid dreaming for a while, like these guys want you to, (no offense, but that just doesn't sit well with me) try finding other ways.

Edison tried 1000 times to make a incandescent light bulb, but only one time worked? No, Many of the trial light bulbs worked, but only for a couple seconds. Each time he made one he got closer and closer to the working light bulb.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, Take a step back, look at everything you've done to lucid dream, and either find out where you're going wrong or find another way to lucid dream. There's always another way.

I hope I helped, and please don't take me as the kind of guy that thinks they know everything, because I'm not, I just want to help.

Thank you as well for your input. I too have asthma, suck at school, drawing, math, meh haha. Its good to hear from someone coming from my point of view. I beat my asthma, I re-evaluated the actual importance of school, instead of drawing I began writing, and screw math. I agree, there is always an alternate, always another route to take you where you wanna be.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

Peter

Postby Peter » 17 Jan 2013 07:42

I have not read the full thread so this might have been covered, what is your dream recall like. It would be irony if you have the odd lucid dream but dont recall them as this can happen.

Lucid dreaming is a balance of a lot of small steps that all add to what you are seeking and it takes a lot of work, as much as anything else you will ever try to do
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 18 Jan 2013 09:33

Peter wrote:I have not read the full thread so this might have been covered, what is your dream recall like. It would be irony if you have the odd lucid dream but dont recall them as this can happen.

Lucid dreaming is a balance of a lot of small steps that all add to what you are seeking and it takes a lot of work, as much as anything else you will ever try to do

I honestly feel like I have lucid dreams that I can't remember. My dream recall.... well its not the best lol.

Peter

Postby Peter » 18 Jan 2013 09:36

Same, I hit a peak of 11 dreams and 2 long lucids a few nights back and now only getting 2 or 3 dreams a night (not lucid) it comes and goes and there is not need to worry about it.

I do record a night of no dreams as just that as it still helps with dream recall.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 19 Jan 2013 03:57

Let me also add that while 'try without trying' sounds like you arent doing anything, thats not quite the whole picture. I know I have to recall my dreams... I journal every day. I cant watch intense tv right before bed or my brain is too occupied. I do reality checks during the day. I have to sleep in...my normal awake time of 6:30am doesnt usually work. I have to awaken around 4:30 or so and take a bio break to become slightly more awake, but not too much. So I have found some regimen...but beyond this there isnt much more I can do when falling asleep other than lightly thinking I want to LD. So 'not trying' just means thinking there is some magic trick you can figure out to reliably trigger an LD.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 19 Jan 2013 10:20

Yeah I understand what you guys mean by giving a more passive effort. I just struggle with that because being passive and not trying too hard makes me feel discouraged and not wanna try at all while giving it my all seems to screw me over too. So I will have to find an indirect way to give it my all... like in dream recall or questioning my reality more often.

I was under the impression that having a perfect WILD setup would inevitably give me lucid dream success. That is false.

Peter

Postby Peter » 19 Jan 2013 19:05

The perfect WILD set up is the one that works at the time, it is not a fixed method but a set of tools that increase the chance and thats all. Just keep at if in a confident relaxed way and in time there will be more hits than misses

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 19 Jan 2013 19:57

KylePK wrote: I honestly feel like I have lucid dreams that I can't remember. My dream recall.... well its not the best lol.

I'm finding that are are in-between types of dreams that are what people refer to as "semi-lucid" I don;t always remember them, but often do.

My dreams have been moving in the direction of lucidity and this kind of dream is increasing for me, probably as a result of all the effort I put into having lucid dreams. Regular, non-lucid dreams are becoming more like lucids. For example: I'm not lucid, but I tell the threatening guy he won't be able to hurt me because he isn't real. Soon after the police arrive and take the guy away. A huge, unusually blue-colored craft flies right over my head, so close I feel like like I can touch it. I tell someone, "Very cool, but is that real?" I tell someone I'm going to look them up on the internet once I get back to where I came from or explain how I'm from a different world than they are, etc. In so many of my non-lucid dreams I'm exploring and really enjoying the experience. When I wake up excited and it feels almost like I was lucid, but not quite. But still fantastic. So I really think that just putting effort and attention into becoming lucid will move you in the direction of dreams becoming more vivid/real, easier to remember and closer to lucid.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 19 Jan 2013 22:03

Yes, the comment about non-lucids getting better has been my experience too. Especially ones as Lucid indicated where you "almost" go lucid... Maybe you are talking about lucid dreaming to others, or you think "gosh I wish lucid dreams were as real as this is" (thinking you are awake but you are dreaming), or seeing someone who is dead and wondering about that. Some of my best non-lucids were as good as my lucids as far as enjoyment, content, and vividness. I never really had those before LD's so they are a byproduct of working on LDs. In fact, some of my favorite vivid dreams were not-quite lucids.... twice I was in a situation where in real life I would have died (car sinking in mud and elevator breaking) my last thought before awakening was "I HOPE I am dreaming or I am Dead!" Sounds scary, and it was, but when I awoke I had such a rush that "Wow, I'm alive!"... it was like finishing a scary rollercoaster or some dangerous situation you narrowly avoided. So, I say, try to enjoy the whole dreaming situation.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 21 Jan 2013 00:18

I hope I can get back towards feeling good about trying to lucid dream. I think I am going to focus on dream recall for a while and just meditation, and let lucidity kind of come more or less on its own.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”