Returning to lucid dreaming after hiatus

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
pollyeholmberg

Returning to lucid dreaming after hiatus

Postby pollyeholmberg » 22 Jan 2013 05:14

Getting back into lucid dreaming is my 2013 New Year's resolution. It has been about ten years since I used to be fairly decent at "getting in" to lucid dreams on a semi-regular basis. If I wanted to make it happen, I could have one within a short period of time (a few days to a couple of weeks of trying) by using the self-check method of asking "am I dreaming?" throughout the day. These were my college years and a few years beyond college. I learned of lucid dreaming via a friend who studied psychology and dreams. At that time, the friend had only explained the self-check method to me, so I was not keeping a dream journal (the self-check method seemed to work pretty well as long as I was diligent about it). I never gained REAL solid dream control during that time (I was not disciplined enough). The majority of my lucid dreams were short and I was not able to take great control. The only "trick" I knew was to ask questions of characters and objects during my dreams...I did not know about changing scenes, for example. I had a handful of some longer, amazing lucid dreams during that time -- I still remember them with awe. For whatever reason, I let my practice of it go.

Now, ten years later, my fascination and desire to lucid dream has been rekindled. I would love to become a master of it -- unlike before, when I used to just play around with no real objective.

Where I am now: For about a month I have been using a dream journal. My dream recall is very good some nights and hazy to none others. I'm like 50-50 on recall. Not great. I'm a little disappointed about my dream recall. I almost feel like I remembered my dreams better and more frequently before I started trying to remember them!

In addition to the journal, I am back to self-checking (asking whether I'm dreaming or not) throughout the day. I have to say that it is hard to remember to do it during busy days! I could be doing this better.

Some success: About three weeks into my journaling (last week), I did have a couple of lucid dreams in the early morning before work. They were VERY short and I lacked a lot of control. I did the typical thing of getting too excited and woke myself out of them. I think my other issue was that I tried to cram too many tricks into them (e.g., asking a lot of questions; trying to change scenes; trying to get people to appear) because I worried about being woken up...it was just frantic. That is one problem I used to have before too -- I would race through my lucid dreams in fear that someone would wake me up before I was done. I need to CALM DOWN.

Anyway, since a week ago, I have not had another lucid dream. This is frustrating because I thought I was getting on a roll. I realize I'm being impatient, but come on!

I know that being older now (35) has solidified my brain into certain ways of working...so it may take me longer to re-train my way of dreaming. I hope I can get my ability back with some strength. I took it for granted before.

Anyway, I'm not really sure if I have a specific question. Just wanted to post something to get myself involved in this forum. I love reading about people's experiences and techniques I never learned before. Thanks for reading. This post is too long - sorry! Any comments / suggestions welcome -- I need to keep pushing myself in the right direction.

arnjak

Re: Returning to lucid dreaming after hiatus

Postby arnjak » 22 Jan 2013 11:08

Im also new here. I am also able to lucid dream before but now I lost it!

diebie

Postby diebie » 22 Jan 2013 16:38

Hey!
A good trick to remember reality checks during the day is wearing a digital sports watch. Some have a setting so you can make them beep every hour.
If you hear the beep it's a reminder for a reality check. If you put the watch next to your bed when you sleep you might hear the beeping and it can be a trigger for your subconsciousness to do a reality check!
The lucidity of my mind has been revealed in new dreams
I am able to travel where my heart goes
In search of self-realization

pollyeholmberg

Postby pollyeholmberg » 22 Jan 2013 17:42

Thanks for the trick. I may need to get such a watch. I have visual reminders set up around me at work...but I've gotten so used to them that they don't prompt me as much.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 22 Jan 2013 19:16

That idea with the watch is genius!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

diebie

Postby diebie » 24 Jan 2013 00:17

you dont need to buy such a watch if you dont have one. If you have a smart phone search for the "uursignaal" app or hourly chime ultimate
The lucidity of my mind has been revealed in new dreams
I am able to travel where my heart goes
In search of self-realization

pollyeholmberg

Postby pollyeholmberg » 24 Jan 2013 16:37

Trying the smart phone thing today. Thanks again!

Return to “For Beginners”