Random question about Lucid Dreaming

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
LCDAnthony

Random question about Lucid Dreaming

Postby LCDAnthony » 30 Jan 2013 23:11

This is completely random...
I've been wondering, since we have dreams they seem to last... oh say 10 minutes to us, but in reality they actually last less than split second.

Is Lucid dreaming just the same? Does it last a split second in reality, or does LD go real time?

I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense... that's the only way I could put it.

HAGART

Re: Random question about Lucid Dreaming

Postby HAGART » 30 Jan 2013 23:45

LCDAnthony wrote:I've been wondering, since we have dreams they seem to last... oh say 10 minutes to us, but in reality they actually last less than split second.
I don't know about that. I'm sure they last longer than that.

But with a lucid dream, I feel that it lasts as long as it felt like it lasted. Since my conscious self is awake, I remember it the same way I remember doing something in reality. And we have a pretty good sense of time with our conscious minds. If you were to sit in a room with no clock for a while and then leave and guess how long you were in there for, you can be quite accurate. 5 minutes feels different than 10, 15 or 30. (Once it starts being over an hour or so it can get hard.) But since I have a good sense of time when awake, I feel the timing in a lucid dream is the same.

But when non-lucid it can be hard to tell with any degree of accuracy, but I'm sure dreams that feel like 10 minutes lasted longer than a split second. If that were the case... then in a 3 hour REM dream state, every second being 10 minutes of dreams... (calculating.... carry the one..... IT'S A LONG TIME! TOO LONG FOR THAT TO BE TRUE.)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 31 Jan 2013 00:22

You get what I'm saying though right?
If a dream felt like it was 10 minutes long, but in the waking world, they last a second or so.

But if a dream is 10 minutes long, is it 10 minutes long in the waking world?

TheMahlan

Postby TheMahlan » 31 Jan 2013 00:55

This is probably jut your perspective of time. Time is relative so it is not a real thing. Like if you are having fun a few hours could feel like a lot less then if you are extremely bored for the same amount of time. A 4 hours of havin fun and being bored could feel extremely different. So you could potentially have a dream that could last an hour of dream time but be 15 minutes of real time

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 31 Jan 2013 02:40

LaBerge did research on this question and found that in most cases dreams do not distort our sense of time. If someone thought that 10 muntes had expired, they were usually close.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

XperienceD

Postby XperienceD » 31 Jan 2013 17:40

Dreams dont last a split second. Thats a common misinterpretation. Dream snippets can last a second or two, but fully fledged NLDs and LDs last much much longer.

Return to “For Beginners”