Intent and Frustration ---Give up?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.

Re: Intent and Frustration ---Give up?

Postby lumencryster » 21 Jan 2013 04:10

KylePK wrote:I hope I can get back towards feeling good about trying to lucid dream. I think I am going to focus on dream recall for a while and just meditation, and let lucidity kind of come more or less on its own.

i think adding reality checks in there would top that off.

Postby blackbird » 02 Feb 2013 17:45

Hi Kyle,

I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself, and have mystical expectations on lucid dreaming. I bet that after your first LD you'll think "Ok so that's how it is, nothing fantastic actually". Maybe advanced LDs can feel fantastic, but I'm not there anyway. Now that I know better, I don't think lucid dreams have anything mystical/spiritual. Lucid or not, dreams are the creation of your unconscious mind (Freud).

If I were you, I'd stop having that objective of lucid dreaming, for now.

Let me tell you how I got there: About two months ago I began having dreams that were more vivid than usual: precise imagery, beautiful colors, ... I wrote them down on my smartphone, and they became a recurring thing. Whenever I would wake up in the night, I would make an effort and record a few keywords about the dream. This really improved my dream recall and their vividness.

Those vivid dreams will be good memories when you wake up. Who cares if you're not lucid, I totally agree with that. And from there on, we can talk about LDs again ;)

Postby taniaaust1 » 08 Feb 2013 00:01

If you have put in a good effort (which it sounds as if you have done) and something isnt working for you, it is time to stop doing things that way. Try completely different techniques to LD or just give it a break for a while and come back to it when you have stopped feeling frustrated over not achieving. You are like now already programmed yourself to fail and I think believing it can happen for you is more likely to get things like this happening.

If you havent tried any method like the following already.. it may be helpful to do so. I find LDing MUCH easier (in fact its often the only way I can LD) is if I raise my energy of my energy body first before the attempt (there is much info online on energy raising which can be done by all kinds of methods..chanting, visualisation energy raising techniques etc). Having a lack of "energy" brings down consciousness and also with the less energetic body strength and connections, makes it harder to have a willed LD.
(think of various energy flows in the body feeding things and making remembering the dreams easier. You may well be having LDs but just not remembering them!! eg loosing consciousness during them for a time. That can happen if one is trying to do the LD for too long. I purposely wake myself physically up after a while, so keep my LDs shortish to make sure that dont happen. (I usually only allow myself to LD for about 10-15 mins. I find that is enough time to do between 2-4 of my dream goals). Could you be getting too excited with LDs if you find yourself in one that you are overstaying there and then drifting into your waking mind becoming asleep???

Unlike what the others said here.. if I just left trying to LD and didnt put any effort into them. I then very rarely get them. Things like reality checking or trying to program my mind t have one, have never helped me have a LD. I need to build my energy up and then I have them fairly easily.

Frustration isnt at all conductive for what you are trying to do and it may well be time to give it all a rest and try again at a time in the future.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Postby Peter » 08 Feb 2013 20:18

I have plenty of LD's but also work consistently on the goal of having them. Its everything from feeling my body during the day to relaxing at night, reading books, posting, drawing - anything that raises awareness of my body, mind and environment. This is essential for me and then its bedtime with relaxing, attempts at WILD every time I go to sleep and that could be 3 to 5 times a night I am up for various reasons.

No effort No reward

Keep at it
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”