Was this hypnagogia or what?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
alissa

Was this hypnagogia or what?

Postby alissa » 09 Feb 2013 20:44

Last night I was trying to lucid dream for the first time by WILD, but instead of waking up in the middle of the night, I was trying to do it as falling asleep for the first time. Anyhow, I was listening to these binaural beats in hopes of getting to it. After about 40 minutes of trying to get into hypnagogia, I felt my heart start to beat super hard and these, I don't know, transparent images of sleeping people's faces who I didn't know kept on floating across my vision for a second and fading away. (my eyes were closed) I kept on thinking, "Oh my god, oh my god, is this hypnagogia?" because I really want to have a lucid dream, and I was also kind of freaked out how hard my heart was beating so I kind of snapped out of it and my heart slowed down, and I was awake. Was this hypnagogia? If not, what was it?
“All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” -Edgar Allan Poe

Are you dreaming?

Ryan

Re: Was this hypnagogia or what?

Postby Ryan » 09 Feb 2013 21:37

alissa wrote:Last night I was trying to lucid dream for the first time by WILD, but instead of waking up in the middle of the night, I was trying to do it as falling asleep for the first time. Anyhow, I was listening to these binaural beats in hopes of getting to it. After about 40 minutes of trying to get into hypnagogia, I felt my heart start to beat super hard and these, I don't know, transparent images of sleeping people's faces who I didn't know kept on floating across my vision for a second and fading away. (my eyes were closed) I kept on thinking, "Oh my god, oh my god, is this hypnagogia?" because I really want to have a lucid dream, and I was also kind of freaked out how hard my heart was beating so I kind of snapped out of it and my heart slowed down, and I was awake. Was this hypnagogia? If not, what was it?

Hypnogogic imagery. :)

Yup.

At that point, focus upon the imagery... and allow your consciousness to be taken further and further away from the physical. Keep that focus though. If you lose focus at this point, you'll lose awareness and fall asleep.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Feb 2013 11:34

yes hypnogogia experience. Try to ignore what your heart is doing.. its common to feel like something is going wrong there but its just more illusion going on thou it may be beating faster with excitment but you arent about to have a heart attack or anything.

Relax and just let the images flow throu and after a while you will find yourself in a LD (if you dont fall asleep). When you do succede, you may also want to keep your LDs shortish at first as if you loose your waking consciousness in one.. you may then forget the whole experience.

I like to always go into my LDs with a challenge or experiement for myself to do there, I'll do between 2-4 of my experiments then wake myself up (to make sure I dont accidently forget any of the LD). (It surprises me that this site hasnt got many posts on people doing experiements in thier LDs)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 10 Feb 2013 14:37

I'm not one who practices WILD (although I have had a few), so others should chime in, but I have HI often when tired on the couch at night or right after going to bed. But just wanted to say for most it is hard to actually WILD early in the sleep cycle. Give it a whirl but dont quit if you cant make it happen then...try in the early mirning or at night after having a dream.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 10 Feb 2013 15:54

rothgar wrote:I'm not one who practices WILD (although I have had a few), so others should chime in, but I have HI often when tired on the couch at night or right after going to bed. But just wanted to say for most it is hard to actually WILD early in the sleep cycle. Give it a whirl but dont quit if you cant make it happen then...try in the early mirning or at night after having a dream.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Yup, there are many examples during out day/life that include hypnogogic imagery.

If you've ever sat there daydreaming, then for a split second you realize that you're somewhere else... and then BAM, you're back to where you actually are. What you were seeing there was hypnogogic imagery.

What you're doing there is also a method of projection called "Phasing". :)
Or join my forums!

Peter

Postby Peter » 10 Feb 2013 19:26

Ryan - I am starting to think that HI is always there and a part of visual memory and we tap into this with the inward look that start the Lucid Induction rather than create it.
Any thoughts on this
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 10 Feb 2013 19:31

Peter wrote:Ryan - I am starting to think that HI is always there and a part of visual memory and we tap into this with the inward look that start the Lucid Induction rather than create it.
Any thoughts on this

I couldn't agree more!

It definitely seems like a bit more important "event" than most people give it credit for.
What if you could hold a hypnogogic imagery for an extended period of time?
What causes a person to "lose" the imagery?

So many questions...
Perhaps we should begin to explore the concept further. lol
Or join my forums!

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 10 Feb 2013 22:44

Peter wrote:Ryan - I am starting to think that HI is always there and a part of visual memory and we tap into this with the inward look that start the Lucid Induction rather than create it.
Any thoughts on this

My view is that HI is the visual input of sensory cross-wiring between waking reality and the dreamworld. I don't believe that the senses digitally switch into the dreamworld when we enter dreams. The HI would explain the continuous visual transition from waking reality to the dreamworld.
Dreaming is my drug

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 10 Feb 2013 23:01

torakrubik wrote:My view is that HI is the visual input of sensory cross-wiring between waking reality and the dreamworld. I don't believe that the senses digitally switch into the dreamworld when we enter dreams. The HI would explain the continuous visual transition from waking reality to the dreamworld.

That's also an excellent way to put it!

I'd add just one thing... there is a point where a consciousness can be receiving no visual input what-so-ever. This would be the point that is most commonly referred to as "The Void". It would be when you, as a consciousness is experiencing absolutely nothing... just you.

I'd call it the lack of a reality frame.

For myself, I don't see much separation between this reality and any other reality we might experience.
Or join my forums!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Feb 2013 01:00

Any thoughts on this

This thread for me just got extremely interesting with that question you directed to Ryan.

I strongly believe due to my own experiences eg day dreams that the HI is always there doing its own thing.

I can on rare occassions start getting HI at random times during the day while just going about daily life stuff. Often its so fleeting but I'll be aware that my conscious brain was thinking about something.. while at exactly the same moment.. my subconsiousness was playing out in its HI (dual awareness). Interestingly the dual streams of awareness seem to have any relation at all to what I was doing or consciously thinking at the time eg. I may be say doing ironing while my waking mind may be thinking about my boyfriends visit later..while at the same time.. having an HI about a completely different thing again eg say images of olden times and being at a park (things which seem all completely unrelated thou I need to analyse more the symbols of those fleeting waking dreams to see if there is a connection at all going on between the waking throu and the subconscious HIs but the image will often come in so briefly that its hard to get the storyline behind the actual image).

Someone here said that Hypnagogia is harder to get just before sleep at night. I'd like to say that if a person "thinks" that.. it may well make it even harder for the person to do at that time. It is like you are programming your subconsciousness not to be allowing it to appear. I personally think the ease of having HI images can be at times related to how "sleepy" one is feeling rather then due to the time of the day.
Thou there is more to it then just that as a very relaxed state during the day when one isnt tired..can also trigger it off.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”