False Awakenings

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
HAGART

False Awakenings

Postby HAGART » 10 Feb 2013 23:18

I started this because taniaaust1, and ryan were discussing it on another post and I think it needs its own.

I had a non-lucid false awakening before, and even a lucid one that turned into a normal dream after the reality checks failed. Or I even wake up in the same dream scene again, but in a different place! I have had some really good OBE type lucid dreams from this state (if I convince myself and start from bed), and I have also had something I call in my dream journal, 'in bed trying to sleep' and only realize after I wake up it was a dream and if only I had gotten up and realized I was dreaming it would have become a lucid dream.

These are all vague ideas of the whole spectrum of false awakenings and I find it fascinating and, although I am sure this has been done before, LET'S TALK ABOUT IT AGAIN! We can always learn something knew.
Last edited by HAGART on 11 Feb 2013 00:16, edited 2 times in total.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Re: False Awakenings

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Feb 2013 23:51

I'll cut and paste my other post on this topic here.

"I hate false awakenings with a passion.

One day I went throu about 6 in a row. I'd get out of bed, get dressed and then then spend about half an hour cleaning my kitchen up (I was doing the jobs I dont like) but then suddenly wake up and go throu this same process over and over again (the amount of cleaning I did that day!!! it was soo annoying).

I was reality checking and everything and the FA was copying my life in every way possible.. I'd stare at my fingers and they'd look normal, do some writing and it look normal etc etc so then start going about the daily life stuff but then end up waking up again. It truely make me feel like I was going to go crazy by about the 5th one. By the time I finally did wake up for real.. I was at a point where I didnt even know if I was awake or not. So got online thinking I was still dreaming and having another FA, only to end up finding out I was really awake.... it took about 2-3 hrs before I truely KNEW I was awake (and in that time I'd treated real life as if I had been dreaming.. and something weird happened that day too which further confused me my real life was a dream).

Very unpleasant experience."

That experience destroyed my faith in reality that day. Not knowing what was reality and what wasnt. I never want to have an experienced like that again.. its too emotionally and mentally disturbing and ends up being scary with the not knowing and not being able to tell at all. I was scared I was never going to know what was real and what wasnt real again (that must be how crazy people feel, those who know they have something like schizophrenia??? not being able to trust judgement of anything). It becomes like the movie"Ground Hog Day"

I went and researched false awakenings after that experience and found out the its fairly rare to have 5-6 or more in a row. People can end up with mental health issues over things like this.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 11 Feb 2013 00:05, edited 4 times in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Feb 2013 23:56

Ryan mentioned on the other thread about getting up and writing in ones dream journal only to find that that too had been a false awakening. I think that is one very common false awakening experience.

Sooo annoying. I had an amazing wonderful dream I wanted to write down.. so much symbolism in it which I wanted to deciper later too. So I dragged myself out of bed, so tired in the middle of the night and spent AGES writing every detail of this dream down and then went back to bed.

Next morning I got up and went straight to my dream journal to start working on what this dream meant... I couldnt remember that dream so was so happy I'd got up in middle of night to write it all down. It was hugely disappointing not to find it there.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Feb 2013 00:14

Because I tend to write down my dreams first thing after waking up, some of my false awakening are just that and I act out the same thing. However, there is always some sort of problem or dilemma. The pencil breaks, there is no ink in the pen, the paper has a wax coating and nothing adheres to it! Although it is so obvious now and I can laugh about it, at the time I was so convinced it was real! And it tends to happen after a lucid dream for me most of the time. It's like the lucid dream was not over, it just shifted gears and I assumed it was time to wake up. But I was wrong. And sometimes I know right away and other times I don't realize until after I truly wake up. It is interesting and a memorable experience, BUT IT SURE GETS ANNOYING SOMETIMES WHEN IT PERSISTS OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Feb 2013 00:35

taniaaust1 wrote:That experience destroyed my faith in reality that day. Not knowing what was reality and what wasnt.
I think every lucid dreamer questions the difference between reality and a very vivid dream, and to have so many in a row and then still question it after you wake up for real can certainly mess with your mind. I ask my self sometimes after a rash of false awakenings, "how do I know this is real?" and it can be hard to determine with certainty.

taniaaust1 wrote:I went and researched false awakenings after that experience and found out the its fairly rare to have 5-6 or more in a row. People can end up with mental health issues over things like this.
I would say that it IS rare. I don't sugar coat things. However you don't have to lose mental health over it. But I got my own problems too. I'll be honest, I had a few panic attacks in my day and I lose sense of what is real, and maybe it's all in my head, but I always come back. I question reality too, but as long as we don't lose metal health permanently over it, all is good.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Feb 2013 00:41

Interestingly to me.. my false awakening doesnt fit into the info they have on this at wikipedia which talks about two different types of false awakening http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_awakening . In my case nothing uncanny, nothing suspenseful, nothing odd... all just my normal every day happenings. (maybe my false awakening was OBEs?? and not really dreaming?).

I'd like to get rid of the idea on wikipedia that there are just two types of false awakenings.

The pencil breaks, there is no ink in the pen, the paper has a wax coating and nothing adheres to it! Although it is so obvious now and I can laugh about it, at the time I was so convinced it was real!

I wish I had clues but for me they are just soo normal.

Many people say that in dreams one cant write or read properly (Ive read that in so many places..I think that is actually said to in wiki somewhere) .. but that is so untrue for me.

And it tends to happen after a lucid dream for me most of the time.

I cant remembering ever having a FA after a LD. I just tend to have them after normal dreams.

I think every lucid dreamer questions the difference between reality and a very vivid dream,

I actually dont know if Ive ever done that. Even my very vivid dreams or a LD... I know it isnt reality. Im well aware its a dream that my own mind is having and that my "real" body and life is elsewhere. I dont question the reality there cause it isnt real.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 11 Feb 2013 03:01

Taniaaust1,

We have some very different experiences and I love that! That's what this forum is for. I'm going to let others chime in, so we can both get a broader picture and scope of this phenomenon from different perspectives. I will respond later......

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 11 Feb 2013 03:45

taniaaust1 wrote:Interestingly to me.. my false awakening doesnt fit into the info they have on this at wikipedia which talks about two different types of false awakening http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_awakening . In my case nothing uncanny, nothing suspenseful, nothing odd... all just my normal every day happenings. (maybe my false awakening was OBEs?? and not really dreaming?).

We're all unique and very individual. So it's easy to believe that we're not all going to experience the same thing.

Now, for my understanding of a false awakening... let's break it down a bit. What IS a false awakening?
It's you experiencing the non-physical, but you believe you're fully awake. So, we can ascertain that it *IS* a projection... just like any other non-physical experience.

I've thrown away the dividing line between dream and projection... to me, they're the same thing, just with varying levels of awareness. So... with that said (and as above), a false awakening is, indeed, a projection (OBE).

I'd like to get rid of the idea on wikipedia that there are just two types of false awakenings.

They list two types? *goes to read the article*
Ok, I understand... the two types they're listing are the same thing with only different "feelings".
This need to label things by "feeling" makes things confusing. LoL

I wish I had clues but for me they are just soo normal.

Many people say that in dreams one cant write or read properly (Ive read that in so many places..I think that is actually said to in wiki somewhere) .. but that is so untrue for me.

This is a misnomer... as you well know.
You can read, and write just fine. However, what you read or write might not stay as what you originally read or written. But you CAN read and write just fine.

This is why you can't really take anyone's opinion as fact... and the best source for information is from your own direct experiences. For any "rule" that someone comes up with, there will be a dozen people who have experienced something to the contrary to disprove that "rule".

I actually dont know if Ive ever done that. Even my very vivid dreams or a LD... I know it isnt reality. Im well aware its a dream that my own mind is having and that my "real" body and life is elsewhere. I dont question the reality there cause it isnt real.

Ask yourself this... "What is reality"?
My answer is... Reality is whatever you're experiencing at the time.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

erichsa

Postby erichsa » 11 Feb 2013 20:52

I had an experience which I still don’t know how to classify. I got out of bed at my normal time,did my ablution had my first cup of tea, a bit of reading, and getting ready to make myself breakfast, also planing lunch. I did a bit of checking on the laptop for the right ingredients, going often between kitchen and living room. After getting the food out of the fridge I went in to the living room, and I thought, but I never have this kind of food for breakfast, and why do I have to check so often the laptop for the lunch ingredients. Standing next to the laptop it came to me, and knew then that for all that time it was not my normal self doing all these things. Everything was natural, nothing weird, and only wanting to eat a totally different breakfast, send a signal to make me doubt myself.
Now was it a FA?, I understand with a False Awakening I would wake up in bed. An OBE, but would I wake up standing in the living room? Or Sleepwalking? I really don't know What is your good peoples view? :)

dreamerinmiami

Postby dreamerinmiami » 11 Feb 2013 21:47

I have been having them a lot lately ... I would have a normal dream then "wake up" and tell someone that is there about the dream I just had.. then really wake up .. I see false awakenings as something that comes along with practicing lucid dreams I never had them until I started LDing. I see it as a step forward into the threshold of LDing. To me FA's are pretty cool .. The most vivid LD I ever had started as a FA.
What is your definition of reality?

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”