My mind won't be quiet!!!

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
KylePK

Re: My mind won't be quiet!!!

Postby KylePK » 29 Jan 2013 06:17

Summerlander wrote:"hmmm... come to think of it, that Summerlander was right."

I have no problem admitting when I am wrong. I'm not that prideful to maintain an ignorant view when I know deep down my own view was flawed. And the more we talk about it, the more I see your position and how likely it is. It certainly does make sense, what with the time travel example.

But as someone who has always striven to better himself, I like to take credit for who I have become and what I have done and will do, claiming that it is and will be because I chose to become the best man I could be, not that I was fated to be who I became (My pride does allow me to do that much). So I am kind of stuck in between viewpoints here. While I acknowledge that my subconscious controls much if not all of what I do and think, I feel there is another part of me that influences my subconscious and allows me to evolve intellectually and philosophically.
Striving to live free and enlightened in every way.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 29 Jan 2013 06:23

Summerlander wrote:These days I tend to question people more. I try to understand how they have arrived at their conclusions.

Right? Me too dood. It kinda sucks when you start evaluating your friends in this way and not like what you find...

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 29 Jan 2013 15:14

I see valid points from both KylePK and Hagart. I'll have to come back and comment on your posts when I have more time guys. Keep up this interesting debate even if we have diverged from the main topic. I think our digression reflects the fact that our minds won't be quiet as we discuss these topics.

I apologise for talking about free will here when it should have been in the thread about free will. To Kyle, that is interesting about your friends and indeed the deeper we dig the more we find about people and they turn out not to be the people we thought they were.

Once again, I'm so glad you guys are interested and can have intelligent discussions about these topics.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 08 Feb 2013 02:45

LCDAnthony wrote:When I attempt WILDs, My inner monologue won't be quiet or I drift off into something other than doing a WILD.

Can anyone give me a way to keep myself focus? Thanks

[ Post made via iPod ] Image

I'm going to try to refocus this post a bit.

LCDAnthony, if you're still around and taking advice on this subject...
I've been listening to a lot of Adyashanti lately, he's spiritual teacher based out of California. Dude has some really interesting things to say, including this line: "If you try to win the war with your mind, you'll be at war forever."

This is what you're trying to do when you attempt to keep your mind quiet. You're attempting to beat your mind into submission by using a form of "manipulation". Sure, from time to time, you may have a golden moment or two when this works for you... but what happens then when you stop meditating towards that goal? What happens to your mind? It becomes noisy again. :)

Stop fighting your mind... meditation isn't about "quieting the mind".

http://vimeo.com/peaceoflove/med1 <-- That's an audio video of Adyashanti speaking, please give it a listen. Listen very closely to what he's saying. It changed my life. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Heart0501

Postby Heart0501 » 11 Feb 2013 00:51

This is what I did and it worked. Have your mind focus on one thing. You need to do sit down concentration practice during the day. Take an object or place, anything interesting to you, such as a plant, ball, fruits, etc. Concentrate 5-10 mins on the object or place during the day or night.

1. Object: What you do is find a quiet place and have the object in front of you, on a table or something. Look at the object in details, such as color, shape, size, texture, etc. Focus on it. Once you got it, close your eyes and recreate what you see in your mind. If your mind chatters or wander, come back to focus on the object. If you cannot recreate with eyes closed, open your eyes and look at the details again and then close and recreate again. Keep doing this until you can recreate. This takes practice.

2. Place: Lie down comfortable at a place. Choose a place(vacation spot or your home) that you remember in details. Close your eyes and focus on remembering as much details of the place as possible. What you see, how u feel when you were there, what you heard. When your mind wander elsewhere, bring it back focusing on the place and it's details. Keep bring the mind back every time it takes you somewhere else.

Start the above with 5-10 mins at the beginning and extend the time once you get better. Once you get a hang of it, do it 2-3 times a day. The mind is a wild horse. What this does is train your mind to focus on one thing alone. When you got it, you'll notice that you're able to focus or concentrate on what you're doing.

Hope this helps.

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 12 Feb 2013 21:56

Heart0501 wrote:This is what I did and it worked. Have your mind focus on one thing. You need to do sit down concentration practice during the day. Take an object or place, anything interesting to you, such as a plant, ball, fruits, etc. Concentrate 5-10 mins on the object or place during the day or night.

1. Object: What you do is find a quiet place and have the object in front of you, on a table or something. Look at the object in details, such as color, shape, size, texture, etc. Focus on it. Once you got it, close your eyes and recreate what you see in your mind. If your mind chatters or wander, come back to focus on the object. If you cannot recreate with eyes closed, open your eyes and look at the details again and then close and recreate again. Keep doing this until you can recreate. This takes practice.

2. Place: Lie down comfortable at a place. Choose a place(vacation spot or your home) that you remember in details. Close your eyes and focus on remembering as much details of the place as possible. What you see, how u feel when you were there, what you heard. When your mind wander elsewhere, bring it back focusing on the place and it's details. Keep bring the mind back every time it takes you somewhere else.

Start the above with 5-10 mins at the beginning and extend the time once you get better. Once you get a hang of it, do it 2-3 times a day. The mind is a wild horse. What this does is train your mind to focus on one thing alone. When you got it, you'll notice that you're able to focus or concentrate on what you're doing.

Hope this helps.

Challenge Accepted! My mind isn't so good at recreating detail, so this exercise should help.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 13 Feb 2013 02:12

KylePK wrote:Challenge Accepted! My mind isn't so good at recreating detail, so this exercise should help.

You create an entire reality when you dream each night. Of course you're great at detail! :)
Or join my forums!

KylePK

Postby KylePK » 16 Feb 2013 06:08

Ryan wrote:
KylePK wrote:Challenge Accepted! My mind isn't so good at recreating detail, so this exercise should help.

You create an entire reality when you dream each night. Of course you're great at detail! :)

How come I can't consciously deal in such great detail? Its really frustrating. My friend induced his first lucid dream by creating a city in his mind, with all the detail and complexity he wanted. I can't do this, my conscious mind can't seem to handle it.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Feb 2013 06:24

KylePK wrote:
Ryan wrote:

How come I can't consciously deal in such great detail? Its really frustrating. My friend induced his first lucid dream by creating a city in his mind, with all the detail and complexity he wanted. I can't do this, my conscious mind can't seem to handle it.

Our normal waking minds.. not everyone is very visual.. thou some are. Some of us are better at creating via "feels" eg imagine eg feel.. walking on sand somewhere on a sunny day.. sun hitting your skin or doing something.. then visual things. Work out how "you" create something the best.

I myself are not at all that visual. (maybe that is why I dont usually get any hypnagogic images before a WILD)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 16 Feb 2013 06:38

KylePK wrote:How come I can't consciously deal in such great detail? Its really frustrating.

Because the conscious mind isn't very good at creating on the same scale as the subconscious.

My friend induced his first lucid dream by creating a city in his mind, with all the detail and complexity he wanted. I can't do this, my conscious mind can't seem to handle it.

He visualized a city in his mind. This is relatively the same as creating it in a dream via your subconscious... it's just not as visual.

You can do this too with a bit of practice. It's really not hard. :)
Or join my forums!

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”