Not going lucid, What am i doing wrong?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
slenerim

Not going lucid, What am i doing wrong?

Postby slenerim » 12 Feb 2013 06:47

1 month have passed when i was trying WBTB technique every week-ends.
Actually, i don't do it because i am not getting any success so i am depressed and not motivated to do it. although every time
i get off my bed i do my reality check that is looking for my hands and counting my
fingers, i also have my own dream journal with 15-20 notebook sheet fully written.
Except this week, i tried to do WBTB again, but had no success. What i do while i'm
awake doing WBTB is turning on my PC, searching about lucid dreams, thinking that they
are really cool, but heres an important point. I don't get motivated at all
and i wonder why this happens maybe because of my many unsuccessful attempts before when i tried
WBTB for real and had a feeling of motivation? or am i missing something?

I really don't know what to do anymore to get a lucid dream.

taniaaust1

Re: Not going lucid, What am i doing wrong?

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Feb 2013 11:21

The more one wants this stuff, the often its easier to do (unless a person is trying to hard to the point of stressing about it). I personally think that trying only on weekends... may be setting onself up for failure as if you arent doing it daily, its so much harder to be programming your subconsicousness in what you want to do (eg lucid dream).

Sounds like you may need to leave this for the time being... or be trying out completely new techiques which you like and take your interest.

I personally wonder if turning on the PC is the best thing to do with WBTB.. the type of light frequencies which computers give out.. could maybe interfere with the nice dreaming state?? you want to be in when you go back to bed. Quietly reading a dream book I find much better and once I start falling asleep while reading.. it is then I often lay down and try to LD (when I used to do that technique). At one point i used to set my alarm at several times during the night... say awake for various lengths of time and then try to lucid dream. Giving myself more opportunities to succede and proving to my subconsicousness.. I truely wanted to do this.

I like to do dream yoga with a mantra and finds it works very well for me to trigger my LDs. You could add some of this to what you are doing now to get more likihood of success (as I said thou i do think you need to be trying to do it daily...not just on weekends or it is far less likey to work and u may be then wasting your time). When u go back to bed focus on your body.. on the in breath "think" HAM and on the outbreath breath out "softly say" the word SAH (a bit like doing a sigh). Put more focus on the breath in breathing in deeply and the word HAM then the other word, the out breath should be shorter.

What I find when I do this, is when Im focusing on the body.. when I then drift off to sleep, it makes it far more easier to be aware I have gone somewhere, else not in ones bed.. I just suddenly find myself standing somewhere else (thou i guess some may get caught out thinking they are still awake when they have gone to sleep but as yet that hasnt happened to me during the time Im using the mantra words or right afterwards). If you get too tired to keep going.. just roll over and go to sleep but keep thinking you want to have a LD as you fall asleep.

best luck
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 13 Feb 2013 02:14

slenerim wrote:I really don't know what to do anymore to get a lucid dream.

Stop trying. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Feb 2013 04:40

Ryan wrote:Stop trying.

I've heard people talk about trying to lucid dream with all their might, but never achieving it and, like Ryan, I say, stop trying so hard! BUT what does that mean? How can you achieve something if you don't try? It is counter-intuitive.

I say, just sleep and dream away as you normally do, and if you are lucid, GREAT!, but if not, enjoy your dream side of life and remember it and don't discredit it, and embrace it as another side of your existence.

What I mean by "stop trying" is let your expectations go and just dream with the intent of being lucid. If it doesn't happen, don't kick your self in the head (if that is anatomically possible), but enjoy your next session of dreams whether lucid or not. And build from there. Dreams are fun, and the non-lucid ones are worth remembering too! And it is never a waste of time! What else were you going to do in the dead of night!??!??!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Feb 2013 04:56

Lucid dreaming is different from anything else I do in my life. Unlike everything else, it takes ALL my effort. Maximum effort. Anything less than that doesn't work. Everytime I am succesful, I slack off only to relearn the same thing.

But it's not simply effort, it's will, desire, and intention. I even have to believe it will happen. Of course you can get lucky, but to have lucid dreams regularly requires quite a commitment. I'm not trying to discourage you because the rewards are well worth that effort. Otherwise, I wouldn't be trying so hard all of the time. Yes, I do agree you can try too hard. But it also doesn't happen without a lot of effort. So keep going and don't give up.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Feb 2013 08:19

lucidinthe sky wrote:Lucid dreaming is different from anything else I do in my life. Unlike everything else, it takes ALL my effort. Maximum effort. Anything less than that doesn't work. Everytime I am succesful, I slack off only to relearn the same thing.

That was how things were with me too. Took soo much work and if i stopped.. it took so much work to get it happening all over again. It took a couple of years before it was more natural to me but then stopped again once I stopped putting in any effort at all.

Ive recently gone back to doing lucid dreaming but with using different techniques to what I used to do (long time ago now) and have found that the different technique Im now using is working FAR easier for me (almost naturally.. achieving lucid dreams 50% of the time thou Ive just started doing LD practices again). So I suggest anyone who is having to put in a lot of effort, to experiement with different techniques as there may be one out there which would work better for you.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 14 Feb 2013 17:52

taniaaust1 wrote: Ive recently gone back to doing lucid dreaming but with using different techniques to what I used to do (long time ago now) and have found that the different technique Im now using is working FAR easier for me (almost naturally.. achieving lucid dreams 50% of the time thou Ive just started doing LD practices again). So I suggest anyone who is having to put in a lot of effort, to experiement with different techniques as there may be one out there which would work better for you.

Tell us about the technique that is easier. I'm interested in trying i.t
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Feb 2013 04:07

lucidinthe sky wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote: Ive recently gone back to doing lucid dreaming but with using different techniques to what I used to do (long time ago now) and have found that the different technique Im now using is working FAR easier for me (almost naturally.. achieving lucid dreams 50% of the time thou Ive just started doing LD practices again). So I suggest anyone who is having to put in a lot of effort, to experiement with different techniques as there may be one out there which would work better for you.

Tell us about the technique that is easier. I'm interested in trying i.t

Ive changed to using dream yoga techniques. Mantras eg silently thinking HAM in the inbreath throu the nose and when then breathing out of my mouth like a sigh SAH. Focusing more on the inbreath then out and thinking of my energy increasing on the inbreath. I try to do that while falling asleep or do it till I get dizzy and then just allow myself to go to sleep in which I then usually go into a WILD before I do. (the only issue Im finding with the change of technique with doing WILD like this, is that I find it harder to keep myself in the LD when I first find myself there.

I used to do the WBTB thing with the reality checking.. If I went into a LD then I had no trouble then staying in them cause I was doing it from a deeper state but it was more random when they'd occur and just luck. Seems there is different pros and cons with the different methods.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 15 Feb 2013 20:22

I was going to ask taniaausta1 and lucidinthe sky if all that effort they put into lucid dreaming is for a DILD or a WILD, and I think I got the answer.
taniaaust1 wrote:I get dizzy and then just allow myself to go to sleep in which I then usually go into a WILD before I do.

I only bring this up because I actually don't try at all to lucid dream. However, I don't try to WILD either. I think having a wake induced lucid dream does take a lot of effort, but even a d Dream Induced Lucid Dream is worth while and especially for someone who has little experience, and any lucid dream is a platform to learn from. I would say I have experienced WILD's before, but only in the middle of the night and quite by accident. I don't lucid dream at will and I don't know who does?

Lucid dreaming is a mindset, or a lifestyle, that you live and know on the back of your mind all the time and sometimes it happens and other times it doesn't. Never let go of that intent, and even the non-lucid dreams are just another side of the coin of your existence...... :ugeek: (deep)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

rothgar

Postby rothgar » 16 Feb 2013 03:59

Well stated HAGART. I do DILD and also dont try very hard either. I get about 2 DILDs a week. My only effort is awakening for a bathroom break. My only trick is knowing how awake to force myself at that time... too much and I dont fall back asleep. Too little and I just dream deep. I also try to sleep in as that is my best opportunity. And I agree... I get great pleasure just having a vivid dream, even if not a lucid. Also I journal daily.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”