Dream journal.

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Dream journal.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 04 Aug 2011 08:08

Is it necessary for me to continue writing down my dreams (normal and LD) in a dream journal? Because I already have recorded lots and lots of dreams for the past month and a half, and I am starting to have a great dream-recall, and a rapidly increasing rate of LDs.
So I stopped writing down my dreams since the last week and instead of writing them, I always lay down in my bed after waking up and start to remember my dreams in every detail like I am telling a story to someone, with that I often trigger more dreams from my memory, like it's a chain of dreams triggering each other.
Anyway, I guess I'm good with or without a dream journal, because I'm still having a great dream-recall....what do you think? :?
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

Peter

Re: Dream journal.

Postby Peter » 04 Aug 2011 09:16

Its a bit like riding a bike and geting fit and doing well in a race so you stop riding the bike and guess what happens to your racing. Thats how it works for me - I also enjoy simply writing and drawing the dreams

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 04 Aug 2011 10:10

I guess you meant to say "NO, you have to continue your dream journal, or else you will fail"...
Huh?
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 04 Aug 2011 18:22

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:I guess you meant to say "NO, you have to continue your dream journal, or else you will fail"...
Huh?

There have been a number of threads on this topic that have generated some good questions and discussion (if you're interested, see some of the posts in the thread Some Thoughts on Personalizing Reality Checks/Dreamsigns). It continues to be an interesting topic.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that dream journals are not absolutely necessary for either inducing lucid dreams--or for recalling dreams in general. It certainly doesn't seem to be an aid for lucid dream (or OBE) induction via the WILD method (although I admit that's a method I'm not currently pursuing).

I tend to try to "get lucid" via the WBTB technique--and there have been a number of nights where, after waking up but before actually physically getting up, I could not recall any of my earlier dreams (wasn't even sure if I'd dreamed anything at all)--but I still became lucid in a dream later when I went back to sleep--so I'm not even quite sure if dream recall itself if absolutely necessary for inducing lucid dreams (although you'd certainly want to recall any lucid dream you have)!

And as an aside, there have been other nights where I've just spontaneously become lucid towards morning--without having tried any kind of method at all (early morning does seem to be the best time because of how REM cycles work).

All that said, however, someone posted somewhere (think it might have been rdubya) that dream journals are a type of "roadmap" to your nocturnal world. That's an apt way to put it. When I've gone back over certain entries I'll see things I hadn't noticed before--maybe connections between symbols or objects--or whatever--between dreams. And I'll also notice my overall lucid dreaming progress (I date my entries), as well as wonder about periods when lucid dreams and dream recall were plentiful and easy, and other times when they weren't.

My advice would be to take your journaling to the next level--and that would be to go back through your journal and categorize your dreams. Look especially for those common themes or things that seem to repeat. Stephen LaBerge's book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming has an entire chapter on this. According to LaBerge, this process of categorizing your dream journal entries (lucid and non-lucid) is a great way to identify dreamsigns to do daily reality checks on--and those waking reality checks just might loop back into your dream world, as hooks for becoming lucid.

Back over to you--and bon chance, as the French would say!

ps: I'm a slacker myself on this cataloging--I need to go through my journal and do this, pronto!

PrototypeTEGTA

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 04 Aug 2011 18:29

fineganswaker wrote:
PrototypeTEGTA wrote:I guess you meant to say "NO, you have to continue your dream journal, or else you will fail"...
Huh?

There have been a number of threads on this topic that have generated some good questions and discussion (if you're interested, see some of the posts in the thread Some Thoughts on Personalizing Reality Checks/Dreamsigns). It continues to be an interesting topic.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that dream journals are not absolutely necessary for either inducing lucid dreams--or for recalling dreams in general. It certainly doesn't seem to be an aid for lucid dream (or OBE) induction via the WILD method (although I admit that's a method I'm not currently pursuing).

I tend to try to "get lucid" via the WBTB technique--and there have been a number of nights where, after waking up but before actually physically getting up, I could not recall any of my earlier dreams (wasn't even sure if I'd dreamed anything at all)--but I still became lucid in a dream later when I went back to sleep--so I'm not even quite sure if dream recall itself if absolutely necessary for inducing lucid dreams (although you'd certainly want to recall any lucid dream you have)!

And as an aside, there have been other nights where I've just spontaneously become lucid towards morning--without having tried any kind of method at all (early morning does seem to be the best time because of how REM cycles work).

All that said, however, someone posted somewhere (think it might have been rdubya) that dream journals are a type of "roadmap" to your nocturnal world. That's an apt way to put it. When I've gone back over certain entries I'll see things I hadn't noticed before--maybe connections between symbols or objects--or whatever--between dreams. And I'll also notice my overall lucid dreaming progress (I date my entries), as well as wonder about periods when lucid dreams and dream recall were plentiful and easy, and other times when they weren't.

My advice would be to take your journaling to the next level--and that would be to go back through your journal and categorize your dreams. Look especially for those common themes or things that seem to repeat. Stephen LaBerge's book Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming has an entire chapter on this. According to LaBerge, this process of categorizing your dream journal entries (lucid and non-lucid) is a great way to identify dreamsigns to do daily reality checks on--and those waking reality checks just might loop back into your dream world, as hooks for becoming lucid.

Back over to you--and bon chance, as the French would say!

ps: I'm a slacker myself on this cataloging--I need to go through my journal and do this, pronto!

You made me LOL dude.... OT: I started to do the WBTB technique, and I guess that's what made my dream re-call better, because my first Lucid dream took a very long while for me to experience it hmmmmm. Anyway thanks for the post!

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 04 Aug 2011 20:17

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:You made me LOL dude.... OT: I started to do the WBTB technique, and I guess that's what made my dream re-call better, because my first Lucid dream took a very long while for me to experience it hmmmmm. Anyway thanks for the post!

Glad I made you laugh--sometimes I think that's part of the key to all this!

I had this crazy, crazy!, non-lucid, but really vivid, dream last night where one of my coworkers turned out to be Larry from the 3 Stooges! At one point I handed him a bunch of stuff I was carrying under my arms (blueprints and like a mop or something). But then I though that, considering who he was, maybe giving him tasks to do wasn't such a great idea at all. "Remember what happened to Larry with the plumbing that one time", I thought! The dream went on and on and had all these other amazing--and, for me, pretty profound--events, but let me tell you--I laughed like hell when I woke up!

Yeah, overall the WBTB method has been the fast track for me for both better dream recall and getting lucid on a fairly regular basis.

And, hey, even though it took you a while to go lucid, now that you have your chances of having another one fairly soon have gone up, like, tenfold--so hang out and keep me posted on the progress!

--FW

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Aug 2011 23:30

its a choice on keeping a dream journal and tend to agree that it is not essential to do so to have a LD. I should have hundreds of LD if that was so. I do use them for the fun of writing and drawing and as stated in another post for research. Its the looking at the big picture that pulls up small events and they become the keys to another level. I noticed that the most common them in my dreams is low light levels before becoming lucid and so will work on this as a dreamsign to get a LD started

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

fineganswaker

Postby fineganswaker » 05 Aug 2011 00:14

Peter wrote:I do use them for the fun of writing and drawing and as stated in another post for research. Its the looking at the big picture that pulls up small events and they become the keys to another level. I noticed that the most common them in my dreams is low light levels before becoming lucid and so will work on this as a dreamsign to get a LD started

Nice, Peter! Hey, how's the "light" theme working so far? Have you had any non-lucid dreams in the last couple of nights where, when you woke up, you noticed that the light was low level at some point?

You know, this'll probably sound crazy, but why not try dimming the lights at home some evening and do some RCs and maybe a little relaxing meditation or something to pursue this? I'm serious--I have this aversion in my own waking life to bright light--I like things kind of dim (must be my personality!). Sometimes in the evening (especially now that it's summer here in California) I'll take a glass of wine out on my deck in the evening. There aren't any lights out there, but I'll turn on some dim kitchen lights--just enough so I can see. I really dig the way this looks, and it's really relaxing to me. Next time I do this (probably this weekend) I'll remember to do some RCs myself--maybe that dim light will work in a dream for me too!

I forgot to say before that one of the first things I did this morning was write up that 3 Stooges dream in my journal. While I was doing it I realized that I have so many darned dreams that have steps and stairwells in them (there's the "big picture" at work w/ DJs). In at least two lucid dreams I've had recently the lucidity came on as I was either going up or going down stairs--others where I was just ascending something like a road or hill. My house is on a hillside, so I've got plenty opportunities for RCs on this theme at home too!

Peter

Postby Peter » 05 Aug 2011 07:55

The normal RC don’t seem to hold much chop for me, I live by myself in a big house that is dim and relaxing so low light is normal, I spends a lot of time in my own company and a lot of hours riding a road bike. Was up my fav climb last week and it was hailing, very overcast and dim with low cloud and thunder and lightning very close overhead - all the makings of a dreamscape and it felt charged because of the storm.
There is not a lot of difference between both worlds at times ( I am FULLY AWARE of which one I am in) so the RC need to be different for me. Most of my LD are WILD. I have had about one a week lately and a lot of dreams but little more than that. I am a little tired as I have increased my exercise a lot to get fit for a ride I am doing and this affects sleep and that affects the will to dream.

So a mixed bag but all good

Peter

PrototypeTEGTA

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 05 Aug 2011 10:47

Hey thanks for the comments......and fineganswaker I'll keep you up with what happens with me.
And I guess now that my dreams really have a shared dreamsign, which is my friends from the school (they always appear in my dreams)...and it's summer now so I can't see them, which is odd in a dream. Well, next time I hope I get lucid because of this.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”