Vivid Dreams & Lucid Dreams

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
lindahhh

Vivid Dreams & Lucid Dreams

Postby lindahhh » 15 Feb 2013 20:38

Hi, I'm new here. I'm curious as to whether or not it is normal for an individual to constantly remember 3-4 dreams a night. I dream and then I wake up, then immediately fall back asleep. But when i'm actually awake-awake and ready to start my day, I remember everything that happened in my dreams and I tell people about it. I've actually met some people who say, "I never dream" now.. that's just stupid. Of course you dream, in their case, they just don't remember it. But any how. My question is... Is that normal? and If i can remember my dreams so clearly, why is it so hard to lucid dream! I guess maybe because i don't know i'm dreaming when i'm dreaming, but how can i fix that? I know the first part to lucid dreaming is actually remembering the dream, but how do i reach that next step?

side note: i usually only remember 2, but now i remember 3-4 after i had a nightmare with the devil.
side side note: i used to be able to control my dreams when i was younger! i would always be flying around on a broomstick (lol. those were the best dreams ever!!)

taniaaust1

Re: Vivid Dreams & Lucid Dreams

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Feb 2013 03:44

Ive no idea what is normal or not but when I was really working on remembering my dreams, I was remembering 6-9 per night (before that I was just remembering 1-3 a night). I ended up not bothering to try to remember then as it was too much work trying to journal all the dreams down into my dream journal.

Currently thou.. Im struggling to remember many at all. Things really vary for me.

If i can remember my dreams so clearly, why is it so hard to lucid dream! I guess maybe because i don't know i'm dreaming when i'm dreaming

Yep you've got it.. its cause you arent aware when you are dreaming.. your normal waking consciousnesses isnt entering the dream. Being able to vivid dream.. doesnt at all mean that one can be conscious during dreams... its a completely different skill (and some LDs may not even be all that vivid!).

There is a couple of ways you can get yourself to be consciously aware in dreams. One is by aiming for a WILD (wake induced lucid dream). With this your waking consciousness dont at all go to sleep in the first place so you arent trying to remember a dream from a the normal sleep state. With WILDS.. you are consciously awake and aware the whole time.. from the time you lay on your bed to into the dream. (there is lots of info on WILD at this forum if you do a search)

The other way is via "programming" yourself to consciously wake up during your normal dreams.. you can do that via doing reality checks during the day to the point in which you then start doing them in your dreams too. Also learning to be more observant and always paying attention to your surroundings also can help program one to do the same in the dream state, making your normal consciousness more likely to come into a dream.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

HAGART

Re: Vivid Dreams & Lucid Dreams

Postby HAGART » 18 Feb 2013 02:51

I think most people in this world don't give their dreams notice and carry on living as if sleep was just a period of unconsciousness worth forgetting. Of course it wasn't! They dreamed... they just didn't remember.

I get really vivid dreams and even lucid ones, but I will admit, some nights I actually don't remember my dreams too well. A few flashes here and there, but I know for a fact I did dream even if I don't recall them.

lindahhh wrote:I'm curious as to whether or not it is normal for an individual to constantly remember 3-4 dreams a night.
It is normal. Welcome to the club! I have a hard time finding people in my life (apart from this website) who are as interested in dreams as I am. Even my own family! They dream, but they just don't pay attention to it the way I, and you, and we on this website do. And we are all together... Goo Goo Gajoob! :P
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Return to “For Beginners”