How do I wake myself?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
dopey

How do I wake myself?

Postby dopey » 19 Feb 2013 04:17

Often when I'm in a dream, I will test to see if it's real. I'll turn on a light switch in a bathroom or hallway while I am walking (within my dream). If the light doesn't come on I realize I'm in a dream. I then start yelling within my dream to wake myself up. If I don't wake up, I yell louder so my wife wakes up and shakes me. She has a difficult time waking me, and while she is doing this, I feel like someone is chasing me, grabbing at me. The more I get grabbed, the more scared I become, and the more panicky I get. I'm afraid if this happens and my wife isn't there to wake me, I won't wake up. Any suggestions as to how I can wake myself or how I can keep from having such dreams?

kyle8812

Re: How do I wake myself?

Postby kyle8812 » 19 Feb 2013 08:41

Personally when I become ludic i don't wish to wake up right away. However, if you are wanting to wake up it helps me to think about my physical body in bed. I know that I am sleeping and I picture myself in this state and once I feel my physical body I can easily jerk myself awake (usually to escape nightmares).
Also the behavior your describing sounds like night terrors because usually when you yell in a dream it doesnt correlate to the outside world (at least in my experience and what I've read).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 19 Feb 2013 14:17

I find it extremely easy to wake myself up.. as the other said I just think of my physical body and of waking up.

It sounds as if you are in a panic that that is possibly preventing you from being able to wake up and instead throwing you into a nightmare. You probably would be better if if you faced your fear of not waking. Cause you will always end up waking up (till the day you actually do die and I doubt that is about to happen).

Have you ever thought about trying to ENJOY the lucid state you find yourself in? You can learn to control anything you come across there.. so its safer then in real life. If you can get rid of your fears you may wake up far easier.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Dark wolf

Postby Dark wolf » 19 Feb 2013 22:54

Like these 2 above me said, think about waking up.

It is your own dream and when you are lucid you can manipulate it. You fear it now, i don't think it is a great thing to do. It is your own dream and you are the only one who can manipulate it. If you fear it it will become a nightmare, if you love it it will be a great experience. Try to enjoy it !
Life is a gift, Not a right.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Feb 2013 00:53

just to add to what I said before.

Our subconciousness actually creates what is happening our dreams and your thoughts create the dream. If you have scary thoughts while dreaming.. you will then go and create those scary things into your dream be it monsters or whateer.

Hence it can also work that way with thought "Im stuck!! cant wake up"... your subconsciousness due to your fear can create that situation for you for a while. The best way around it is to get over that fear.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 20 Feb 2013 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

deepakkumaar97

Postby deepakkumaar97 » 20 Feb 2013 11:50

Actually, it's the most easy part.
You just think of waking up and you're up, that's what I do, but if this doesn't work simply turn around the dream and imagine you are on the top of a terrace and simply jump off it.

Warning: Make sure it is a dream. :D
Do a reality check

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 23 Feb 2013 03:58

dopey wrote:Often when I'm in a dream, I will test to see if it's real. I'll turn on a light switch in a bathroom or hallway while I am walking (within my dream). If the light doesn't come on I realize I'm in a dream. I then start yelling within my dream to wake myself up. If I don't wake up, I yell louder so my wife wakes up and shakes me. She has a difficult time waking me, and while she is doing this, I feel like someone is chasing me, grabbing at me. The more I get grabbed, the more scared I become, and the more panicky I get. I'm afraid if this happens and my wife isn't there to wake me, I won't wake up. Any suggestions as to how I can wake myself or how I can keep from having such dreams?

Why would you want to wake up?
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Return to “For Beginners”