What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Jack Reacher

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 25 Feb 2013 10:29

taniaaust1 wrote:Interesting to hear of your reality Jake... it makes more sense why you are having trouble seeing how some of our minds are working with our beliefs and probably are very confused on the way we think and how on earth we could think that esp when we arent following any religious belief.

Now lets say im wrong, which I am open to at all times.

Its always good to be open. Due to being open, that has allowed me experience things which I didnt believe were true before I experienced them eg Im not Christian at all but twice have experienced Jesus.. so that was very strange to me. (There are many things I dont believe but are open to believing if Im shown they have some reality to them). I constantly seek out "truth", always analysing my "current beliefs and new ones too.. altering my beliefs as my knowlege and expereinces change.

I'd have to say that my spiritual/religious views are constantly evolving. To add to that confusion.. I have dual levels of beliefs (others who dont have dual belief systems find that very confusing) but interestingly that is possible as they are still true to me.

eg who's got the truth correct?. A cave man cuts his leg open and gets an infection. He believes the infection is due to the cut. A doctor cuts his leg and gets an infection.. he believes the infection is due to bacteria. An energy worker cuts her leg and gets an infection.. she may believe the infection is due to auric damage which is allowing energy to leak and energy contamination to come in and may fix the infection by doing energy healing on her leg.

One could believe ALL THESE THINGS at the same time thou the beliefs at the same time thou they are completely different beliefs. (my beliefs on everything is multi-layed in quite complex ways). I'd believe all those beliefs and if someone asked me the question if I cut my leg.. how I got an infection.. I'd try to respond in a way which the one who's asked me the question would be most likely to understand. (so my posts are quite capable of seeming different at times but I still hold these beliefs and at times the beliefs may seem to conflict to those who dont understand them.

eg I dont think its at all good for someone to be raped..thou I also on another level dont necessarily see it as a bad thing due to other beliefs I carry. Was what Hitler done a negative thing? In many ways I'd say no for various reasons I have due to my beliefs. But on the other hard.. yeah that was terribly aweful thing which occurred and I truely hope humanity dont need to repeat something like that again.

How can I think as I do? its cause I see and experience myself both as a human but also as non human as well (so think from both those views.. the human and the non human.. like I believe we all are)

Anyway.. thanks for sharing where you are coming from. There is nothing wrong with anyone having different beliefs.

I know as a human being you acknowledge the examples I list are aweful, I usually go a bit extreme as it helps truely unravel the heart of an issue, sorry if it ever sounds a bit personal but this is quite a personal topic. I actually can understand how you guys got to where you are, as I myself used to share very similar views. I doubted religion at a very young age and began to question a lot of things. When I moved away from home a few years ago I discovered this site and I used to ponder the possibility of astral planes, spiritual entities and such. However I was young at this time, only 19, and as I have grown older I have begun to mature a lot and have looked not only at the merits of my beliefs ideas, but WHY I decided to believe them.

Looking back I think I was using these concepts as an escape from reality, the dull mundane of every day routine. Then one day a strange idea hit me, something that changed my very foundations and made me wake up to a lot of things. I asked myself, what if this universe truely is the only universe in existence, the only thing there actually is, and its a fluke? That when you die, you truely dont come back, and there is nothing else at all. For a while this actually depressed me because the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. Try it out as an assumption, you dont have to accept the idea but think of what it entails.

Now that im older (21) I dont really bother with such grand ideas because the things most important to me are whats going on in the real world. Sure its nice to have something as your foundation, but I think it is more important to keep yourself informed about the issues that revolve around the societies you involve yourself in,the issues in your family, friends, your country or even the world, and think about how you handle those issues, and how you influence other people. I think how you deal with that is the most important thing and makes up who you are, and no religion or abstract system that is floating around has any domain over what is right and what is wrong in how someone goes about it.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 26 Feb 2013 02:26

Jack Reacher wrote:Now that im older (21) I dont really bother with such grand ideas because the things most important to me are whats going on in the real world. Sure its nice to have something as your foundation, but I think it is more important to keep yourself informed about the issues that revolve around the societies you involve yourself in,the issues in your family, friends, your country or even the world, and think about how you handle those issues, and how you influence other people. I think how you deal with that is the most important thing and makes up who you are, and no religion or abstract system that is floating around has any domain over what is right and what is wrong in how someone goes about it.

Jack, I hear ya. I had that same, "Shit, this is it." moment a while back. That is why I think it's important to live by virtues that will positively affect yourself in and others in this life, instead of following virtues meant to improve your enjoyment in the next.
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 26 Feb 2013 04:05

Worldenterer1 wrote:That is why I think it's important to live by virtues that will positively affect yourself in and others in this life, instead of following virtues meant to improve your enjoyment in the next.

I think the same set of virtues that will positively effect yourself and others in this life, will also improve your enjoyment in the next.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 26 Feb 2013 04:19

While that may in fact be true, there are just some things you will miss out on if you truely believe there is a life after your death. You wont value certain relationships and life as much as you would if you believed death was the end. Pain and suffering mean that much more to me now as I know there is no second chance for these people. In other words, you value your time and your actions, you are fully aware of your responsibilties to not only your loved ones but those involved in all social circles you move in much more.

Having said that same could be said for me I suppose. While I try and be a good man in this life, I may actually be missing out on some hidden requirements that some God wanted me to fulfill, so while I act morally to myself and truely believe I am doing the right things, I may just end up burning in hell for eternity. According to the majority of the human race, anyway.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Feb 2013 07:52

Jack Reacher wrote:, but I think it is more important to keep yourself informed about the issues that revolve around the societies you involve yourself in,the issues in your family, friends, your country or even the world, and think about how you handle those issues, and how you influence other people. I think how you deal with that is the most important thing and makes up who you are, and no religion or abstract system that is floating around has any domain over what is right and what is wrong in how someone goes about it.

Nods.. I think that too.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 27 Feb 2013 03:47

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Worldenterer1 wrote:That is why I think it's important to live by virtues that will positively affect yourself in and others in this life, instead of following virtues meant to improve your enjoyment in the next.

I think the same set of virtues that will positively effect yourself and others in this life, will also improve your enjoyment in the next.

While this may be true, the idea that I'm trying to get across is that this life is definite. We are here, now, living it. The next is not a definite. There is much evidence against its existence. Even though it may exist some how, I don't think that's any reason to focus on trying to improve it more than the live you live now. To add, you don't know what ideals are being followed by me, some of which in your opinion would be big no-no's. Also, if we are talking about the Christian idea of an afterlife, count me out of heaven. One of the main principles written in Christianity is that as long as someone accepts Jesus before they die, and begs his forgiveness , they WILL go to heaven. This means that, in theory, every thief, rapist, serial killer, and screwed up violater that has ever walked this Earth and accepted Jesus, would be waiting there. The thought of living eternally in a place with those people make the fires of hell start looking warm and cozy. In advance to any possible misunderstandings, I'm by no means am I implying any religion on you, I was just making an example.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 27 Feb 2013 04:12

Worldenterer1 wrote:While this may be true, the idea that I'm trying to get across is that this life is definite. We are here, now, living it. The next is not a definite. There is much evidence against its existence. Even though it may exist some how, I don't think that's any reason to focus on trying to improve it more than the live you live now. To add, you don't know what ideals are being followed by me, some of which in your opinion would be big no-no's. Also, if we are talking about the Christian idea of an afterlife, count me out of heaven. One of the main principles written in Christianity is that as long as someone accepts Jesus before they die, and begs his forgiveness , they WILL go to heaven. This means that, in theory, every thief, rapist, serial killer, and screwed up violater that has ever walked this Earth and accepted Jesus, would be waiting there. The thought of living eternally in a place with those people make the fires of hell start looking warm and cozy. In advance to any possible misunderstandings, I'm by no means am I implying any religion on you, I was just making an example.

I think by this far into the discussion, everyone realizes nobody here is out to anger anyone else on purpose. :)

Your post is perfect actually, and illustrates why spirituality is an individual and unique perspective from that consciousness who experiences it. Everyone has their own interpretations and their own perspectives... and why I fully believe that everyone is exactly where they need to be in order to grow spiritually. The choices you make at that point determines how much growing you do. Will you be that rapist? Or will you be the one to Love?

Suffice to say... everyone just has their own unique view of the world. I love that about life. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 28 Feb 2013 03:17

Ryan wrote:
Worldenterer1 wrote:While this may be true, the idea that I'm trying to get across is that this life is definite. We are here, now, living it. The next is not a definite. There is much evidence against its existence. Even though it may exist some how, I don't think that's any reason to focus on trying to improve it more than the live you live now. To add, you don't know what ideals are being followed by me, some of which in your opinion would be big no-no's. Also, if we are talking about the Christian idea of an afterlife, count me out of heaven. One of the main principles written in Christianity is that as long as someone accepts Jesus before they die, and begs his forgiveness , they WILL go to heaven. This means that, in theory, every thief, rapist, serial killer, and screwed up violater that has ever walked this Earth and accepted Jesus, would be waiting there. The thought of living eternally in a place with those people make the fires of hell start looking warm and cozy. In advance to any possible misunderstandings, I'm by no means am I implying any religion on you, I was just making an example.

I think by this far into the discussion, everyone realizes nobody here is out to anger anyone else on purpose. :)

Your post is perfect actually, and illustrates why spirituality is an individual and unique perspective from that consciousness who experiences it. Everyone has their own interpretations and their own perspectives... and why I fully believe that everyone is exactly where they need to be in order to grow spiritually. The choices you make at that point determines how much growing you do. Will you be that rapist? Or will you be the one to Love?

Suffice to say... everyone just has their own unique view of the world. I love that about life. :)

Just never know how people will take stuff. And no, I won't ever be a rapist or murderer. Do you know why? Because I've already raped and murdered everyone that I want to, which is zero people. :D

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Feb 2013 11:33

Worldenterer1 wrote: Also, if we are talking about the Christian idea of an afterlife, count me out of heaven. One of the main principles written in Christianity is that as long as someone accepts Jesus before they die, and begs his forgiveness , they WILL go to heaven. This means that, in theory, every thief, rapist, serial killer, and screwed up violater that has ever walked this Earth and accepted Jesus, would be waiting there. The thought of living eternally in a place with those people make the fires of hell start looking warm and cozy.

Id never thought about that before. Maybe I wouldnt want to go to heaven either :lol:
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 01 Mar 2013 00:33

taniaaust1 wrote:
Worldenterer1 wrote: Also, if we are talking about the Christian idea of an afterlife, count me out of heaven. One of the main principles written in Christianity is that as long as someone accepts Jesus before they die, and begs his forgiveness , they WILL go to heaven. This means that, in theory, every thief, rapist, serial killer, and screwed up violater that has ever walked this Earth and accepted Jesus, would be waiting there. The thought of living eternally in a place with those people make the fires of hell start looking warm and cozy.

Id never thought about that before. Maybe I wouldnt want to go to heaven either :lol:

Yeeah. It would kinda suck. Also, there's the whole living forever part. I can't remember who brought this up, I think it was Jack Reacher. But anyways, he said that if you were conscious forever, then you would go insane. You would eventually have to start trying to think of things you haven't already thought about, and then you would be rethinking everything over and over again because you have already thought of everything you can comprehend. It would be absolute mental torture.

Return to “Off-Topic”