Was I dreaming or not?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LucidLeon

Was I dreaming or not?

Postby LucidLeon » 25 Feb 2013 12:59

So, something weird happened to me last night. My kittens kept waking me up during the night and I didn't really get a good nights sleep... In the morning I was really tired, and I figured I'd try to visualize a dream scene and see if I could enter it. For some reason I chose getting ready in the morning and I tried to visualize brushing my teeth and all that stuff, and eventually I was in the scene. I had a short lucid dream, but then things got weird.

I woke up in my bed, and it really felt like a false awakening to me (I get those a lot so I can usually tell when I experience one). I couldn't move, so I tried visualizing melting through the bed, which didn't work. I tried visualizing a new dream scene, it didn't work either. Then I remembered reading somewhere on this forum that if you briefly wake up from a dream you should "roll over" and separate from your physical body as soon as possible to begin a new LD/OBE. So I did that, and I once again tried to visualize melting through the mattress, and this time it started to work. Suddenly I heard a loud buzzing/vibrating sound in my head, like being at the dentist but louder. It didn't hurt, but it felt weird. After a while I was free to move again and started a new LD.

-

What I wonder is, was it really a false awakening, or did I wake up to sleep paralysis? I remember hearing my mom and sister getting ready on the second floor, like they were in reality. And buzzing noises in your head is common when practicing WILD's, I've heard.

Jack Reacher

Re: Was I dreaming or not?

Postby Jack Reacher » 26 Feb 2013 04:54

I know that buzzing feeling you are talking about, man sometimes if you focus on it and fight it it can get so intense. It sounds like sleep paralysis, and it truely is a messy thing to start discussing in depth what exactly is going on. For me it honestly seems like I am hullucinating, like I really am awake and in my room but I am hullcinating moving. I think waking up during sleep paralysis is just too traumatic for the mind no matter how used to it you think you are, it starts doing some bizzare stuff to make your actions match up. Sometimes I fly out of bed, crash into the walls, do all sorts of stuff and I have no idea if I actually did that stuff or imagined it.

Here is another weird example, I woke up early and I was so sure I had woken up properly, that I was in the real world. However I was in sleep paralysis, I couldnt move my arms or anything. I tried extremely hard to get out of bed as I was in a bit of a panic, and somehow I imagined my arms moving, and I was able to imagine my legs moving to get me out of bed. Now I ended up stumbling around the room because these were new legs, I am pretty sure this was like an OBE, others may think I was astral projecting. I walked around my house but I knew it was all a dream, and eventually I woke up back in my body.

So yeah some may claim I truely did project out of my body and walk around my house in an astral body, however I believe the whole thing was like a hullcination to cope with sleep paralysis, the house was a projection based on memory inside my mind. In fact if I explored very tiny details of the house, walked along a route I didnt normally walk along, things would get extremely bizarre and that is what usually kicks me out of the dream.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Feb 2013 06:56

LucidLeon wrote:So, something weird happened to me last night. My kittens kept waking me up during the night and I didn't really get a good nights sleep... In the morning I was really tired, and I figured I'd try to visualize a dream scene and see if I could enter it. For some reason I chose getting ready in the morning and I tried to visualize brushing my teeth and all that stuff, and eventually I was in the scene. I had a short lucid dream, but then things got weird.

I woke up in my bed, and it really felt like a false awakening to me (I get those a lot so I can usually tell when I experience one). I couldn't move, so I tried visualizing melting through the bed, which didn't work. I tried visualizing a new dream scene, it didn't work either. Then I remembered reading somewhere on this forum that if you briefly wake up from a dream you should "roll over" and separate from your physical body as soon as possible to begin a new LD/OBE. So I did that, and I once again tried to visualize melting through the mattress, and this time it started to work. Suddenly I heard a loud buzzing/vibrating sound in my head, like being at the dentist but louder. It didn't hurt, but it felt weird. After a while I was free to move again and started a new LD.

-

What I wonder is, was it really a false awakening, or did I wake up to sleep paralysis? I remember hearing my mom and sister getting ready on the second floor, like they were in reality. And buzzing noises in your head is common when practicing WILD's, I've heard.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Feb 2013 07:03

LucidLeon wrote:I woke up in my bed, and it really felt like a false awakening to me (I get those a lot so I can usually tell when I experience one). I couldn't move, so I tried visualizing melting through the bed, which didn't work. I tried visualizing a new dream scene, it didn't work either. Then I remembered reading somewhere on this forum that if you briefly wake up from a dream you should "roll over" and separate from your physical body as soon as possible to begin a new LD/OBE. So I did that, and I once again tried to visualize melting through the mattress, and this time it started to work. Suddenly I heard a loud buzzing/vibrating sound in my head, like being at the dentist but louder. It didn't hurt, but it felt weird. After a while I was free to move again and started a new LD.

-

Sounds like you woke up in the right state to have an OBE, your mom and sister you probably were actually hearing them.. in an OBE state you can pick up what is around you in real life. Buzzing is quite common just before an OBE.. and it sounds as if you were like between states at the time (woken from the LD state and sensing things from the astral but not to the point where you were leaving body). If you focused on your family and of getting out of your body you may of had a real time OBE and been able to watch whatever family members were up too and check back on it when you woke physically up. (that helps distinguish between what is a LD and what is an OBE had you done that.. with practice you can learn the very subtle differences in the states).

LucidLeon

Postby LucidLeon » 27 Feb 2013 09:50

@taniaaust1, thank you for your reply! I thought it was somthing like that, because it didn't feel like a normal false awakening...
Do you have any tips on how to OBE from that state? More specifically, what techniques should I use to get out of my body? What I tried didn't seem to work...

@Jack Reacher, that's an interesting theory... thank you for sharing!!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 27 Feb 2013 11:23

LucidLeon wrote:@taniaaust1, thank you for your reply! I thought it was somthing like that, because it didn't feel like a normal false awakening...
Do you have any tips on how to OBE from that state? More specifically, what techniques should I use to get out of my body? What I tried didn't seem to work...

couldnt move my arms or anything. I tried extremely hard to get out of bed as I was in a bit of a panic, and somehow I imagined my arms moving, and I was able to imagine my legs moving to get me out of bed. Now I ended up stumbling around the room because these were new legs, I am pretty sure this was like an OBE

just like you did there...

or you can try to roll out of your body (that seems to make me drop out of the state but you may have better luck as its a common technique people use).

Some imagine a rope just above their body and imagine climbing it up to your roof.. feel it happening.

An occultic way I was working with by just putting my energy to that place and found I can shift my energy with .. is about 6Ft away from you.. (I usually say a protection prayer first).. imagine your energy leaving your solar plexus area and forming your body in that spot 6ft away... once you have felt your energy in that other place or can think about your form (your thought doesnt need to be detailed) being there.. then imagine looking out of the eyes of the other form you've created there. If all goes smoothly your consciousness can shift right over to it and you may find yourself in that spot floating there. (if this doesnt work for you and you decide to stoo.. make sure you imagine sucking that energy you projected back into your solar plexus as it can can cause issues if regularly left out).

Another way Ive got out is to focus just above my physical bodies head and once I feel like Im in that spot.. I then focus up further and further.. drawing myself away from my physical body.

I hope one of these techniques works for you.

ps another way some do it.. is to focus on the vibrations and try to intensify them... if you can get them strong enough you will be flung out. This all should give you plenty of stuff to play around with next time something like that happens. :)

LucidLeon

Postby LucidLeon » 09 Mar 2013 00:00

Whoa... I really thought I'd answered your post tania, I just now found out I hadn't... I'm sorry for the delay, but thank you so much for the tips! I really appreciate it! :P

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Mar 2013 13:05

LucidLeon wrote: I once again tried to visualize melting through the mattress, and this time it started to work. Suddenly I heard a loud buzzing/vibrating sound in my head, like being at the dentist but louder. It didn't hurt, but it felt weird. After a while I was free to move again and started a new LD.

sounds like you were on the right track as rolling out of the body works for many.. same with sinking down throu the bed or imagining rising up to the roof. What works best is different for everyone.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”