What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
22
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
38
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
29
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
29
25%
 
Total votes: 118

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby taniaaust1 » 01 Mar 2013 13:01

Worldenterer1 wrote: Also, there's the whole living forever part. I can't remember who brought this up, I think it was Jack Reacher. But anyways, he said that if you were conscious forever, then you would go insane. You would eventually have to start trying to think of things you haven't already thought about, and then you would be rethinking everything over and over again because you have already thought of everything you can comprehend. It would be absolute mental torture.



that's something else to consider.. maybe we are part of a consciousness who had that issue .. living forever could of been boring so maybe that consciousness then decided to split into parts making each of those parts unaware (us all) .. for entertainment. We may all be entertainment pieces of the whole.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3639
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 01 Mar 2013 15:40

Everyone keeps coming up with "maybes", forever surmising the meaning of our existence, when the various flavours of meaning are nothing but anthropologically derived. In a similar vein, many atheists bend over backwards for theists even if religion has proved to be dangerous time and again. Think about this, if the human race is wiped out, so is meaning and purpose.

There is no God and no intrinsic or transcendental meaning to life or what happens in the universe whatsoever. Everything is open to interpretation by human beings. You can give any piece of text, like a recipe for a cake, a mystical or sacred twist, if you like, and if you are evil enough, convince hordes that it is a message from a supernatural creator to your advantage.

I don't think we are entertainment pieces of anything. Sure, we can entertain ourselves, but, ultimately, we decide what it all means. We just are. The universe just is. There doesn't have to be a reason other than natural causation. The universe could have just as easily not have produced any life.

Somewhat religious is winning the poll at the moment. How can you be somewhat religious? You either take the tenets of a religion full on - which in my view is a terrible thing to do - or you don't. To be partial or moderate means that you are only taking on board what sounds good to you and ignoring the rest which is abhorrent to the majority. For instance, the Biblical God ordains you to kill homosexuals. Either you follow him and uphold His bigotry in concord, or you don't and label it "bollocks". :roll:

Agnosticism can have a weak side too and is widely exploited by theists in atheism vs. theism discourses. It's funny how the pious sometimes say that proving or disproving God is impossible or beyond the realm of science, and yet, they say miracles happen. This should help to prove God's existence and it hasn't.

Imagine that the body of Jesus was found preserved in some way and it was scientifically established, through the vetting of his DNA, that indeed he never had a human father. In this case, I have no doubt in my mind that the religious would not hesitate in saying that this proves the existence of a God, and all of a sudden, the proof of His existence would be within the scientific scope.

They change their story for their own ends and will forever be biased by their faith.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 548
Joined: 07 Aug 2011 19:47
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ryan » 01 Mar 2013 20:40

Summerlander wrote:Everyone keeps coming up with "maybes"

Mostly because nobody "knows" for certain, so we can only work with "maybes" or "I think" or "I believe".

Nobody here is foolhardy enough to say "they know" without prefacing it as a belief or opinion... even if it's backed up by their own independent experiences. It can be a "personal truth" yet still not be the absolute truth.

I have many personal truths, but in no way can I ever state them as fact (even if I try sometimes, and I do apologize to people for that, slip of the tongue ;)) because of that knowledge.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 01 Mar 2013 22:00

Ryan wrote:
Summerlander wrote:Everyone keeps coming up with "maybes"

Mostly because nobody "knows" for certain, so we can only work with "maybes" or "I think" or "I believe".

Nobody here is foolhardy enough to say "they know" without prefacing it as a belief or opinion... even if it's backed up by their own independent experiences. It can be a "personal truth" yet still not be the absolute truth.

I have many personal truths, but in no way can I ever state them as fact (even if I try sometimes, and I do apologize to people for that, slip of the tongue ;)) because of that knowledge.


I think we are all speculating using incomplete information. My beliefs are based on my understanding and experiences and they are personal, not meant to convince anyone else or prove anything to anyone. They give my life meaning and purpose and add a lot of happiness to my life. When I ask for help, I get it. Doesn't matter to me where it comes from, it's just always there. Just like when you ask for something in a dream. If at the end of my life, I find out I was wrong, it's O.K. and the happiness, meaning and purpose that I had in my life can not be taken away.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

User avatar
Ryan
Posts: 548
Joined: 07 Aug 2011 19:47
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Ryan » 01 Mar 2013 23:27

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Ryan wrote:
Summerlander wrote:Everyone keeps coming up with "maybes"

Mostly because nobody "knows" for certain, so we can only work with "maybes" or "I think" or "I believe".

Nobody here is foolhardy enough to say "they know" without prefacing it as a belief or opinion... even if it's backed up by their own independent experiences. It can be a "personal truth" yet still not be the absolute truth.

I have many personal truths, but in no way can I ever state them as fact (even if I try sometimes, and I do apologize to people for that, slip of the tongue ;)) because of that knowledge.


I think we are all speculating using incomplete information. My beliefs are based on my understanding and experiences and they are personal, not meant to convince anyone else or prove anything to anyone. They give my life meaning and purpose and add a lot of happiness to my life. When I ask for help, I get it. Doesn't matter to me where it comes from, it's just always there. Just like when you ask for something in a dream. If at the end of my life, I find out I was wrong, it's O.K. and the happiness, meaning and purpose that I had in my life can not be taken away.

That's beautiful, and I fully agree with your sentiments. :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby taniaaust1 » 02 Mar 2013 12:51

Summerlander wrote:Everyone keeps coming up with "maybes", forever surmising the meaning of our existence, when the various flavours of meaning are nothing but anthropologically derived.


I some times express things in "maybes" when Im expressing something I dont at all believe but I'd like others to think about.. just to make people think more about reality and things.. its then easier to talk in terms of "maybes". I hold certain things which are true to me quite strongly thou there is also a lot I hold which I arent so strong about and would be willing to change my views on if I had different experiences to things.

Anyway.. i wanted to just clarify that my "maybe's arent necessarily things I personally believe.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
Jack Reacher
Posts: 490
Joined: 21 Jan 2012 05:03
Location: New Zealand

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 02 Mar 2013 21:52

I see where you are coming from but the things you want us to think about are unfalsible claims, ideas that can never be proven even in principle and arent really worth discussing in a serious manner, there are no reasons for believing in any of that.

I mean we could start a discussion saying I think Korak of gundor got tired of humans on his planet and shipped us all here, that kind of reasoning is so out of wack and so far detached for reality its not really worth discussing.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Mar 2013 02:05

Jack Reacher wrote:I see where you are coming from but the things you want us to think about are unfalsible claims, ideas that can never be proven even in principle and arent really worth discussing in a serious manner, there are no reasons for believing in any of that.

I mean we could start a discussion saying I think Korak of gundor got tired of humans on his planet and shipped us all here, that kind of reasoning is so out of wack and so far detached for reality its not really worth discussing.


Maybe not to you.

The truth is thou that there is no hard evidence for what I said to be not true either. Thou it may sound wacky wondering if some high up huge consciousness has us as its game pawns (or whatever one wants to call it for its entertainment).. I personally do think its worth consideration even if it is just to rule out an idea. How can anyone rule out things as being possibly true or not if they never consider them in some way.

People seriously talk about GOD and other things..and that cant be proven. It doesnt mean its not worth serious discussion (thou may not be to all). Its just a matter of what is resonating to you.

I often consider things which cant be proven. Just cause something isnt proven it doesnt necessarily mean it isnt at all possible. I like to run throu all possibilities I can think of in my head, without doing that, one may miss something which was true.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3639
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Summerlander » 03 Mar 2013 02:18

Exactly, Jack Reacher! Me and you are on the same page it seems! :D

People can be agnostic about certain things and that's fine. But never be the kind of agnostic that says, for instance, God can neither be proved nor disproved by science therefore his existence and non-existence is 50-50. I disagree with this, because, when agnostics do this, they are dismissing the probability realm when it comes to the God hypothesis.

If we are going to say that there is an equal amount of chance between the existence and non-existence of God, which there isn't, we'd have to say the same thing about Santa Claus, the tooth fairy or the flying spaghetti monster. Just because you can't disprove something doesn't mean that something is free from improbability. I am an atheist because the evidence against the existence of God is overwhelming.

And there is nothing wrong with being certain about things either! If experimentation proves time and again the occurrence of certain predictable outcomes, well, you can bet your ass that it will happen that way again and again under the same conditions.

I am pretty certain that this law of attraction business is pap - just like karma and praying! I don't know if any of you are aware of Darwin's cousin Francis Galton's double-blind experiment on praying. He was one of the first to do it. It was proved being a shadow of a doubt that praying is ineffective. There were three groups of patients. One prayed for, one with just the medical assistance, and the other who were told that people were praying for them. There was no difference between the first and the second group, and the third, who knew, had terrible results.

Apparently God did not want the third group to know. Or knowing they were being prayed for might have added to their stress as they might have thought their chances of recovery were slim if others thought they needed prayers.

BTW, here's a nice definition of praying:

To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner, confessedly unworthy. LoL.

- Ambrose Bierce
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

User avatar
lucidinthe sky
Posts: 1135
Joined: 10 Dec 2011 22:37
Location: Sacramento, California

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Mar 2013 05:31

Summerlander wrote: I don't know if any of you are aware of Darwin's cousin Francis Galton's double-blind experiment on praying. He was one of the first to do it. It was proved being a shadow of a doubt that praying is ineffective. There were three groups of patients. One prayed for, one with just the medical assistance, and the other who were told that people were praying for them. There was no difference between the first and the second group, and the third, who knew, had terrible results.


Maybe the ones who were praying didn't really believe. It's interesting because I've had great results praying. You know we have that saying: You can't argue with results.
Last edited by lucidinthe sky on 03 Mar 2013 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest