What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Jack Reacher

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 03 Mar 2013 05:40

taniaaust1 wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote:I see where you are coming from but the things you want us to think about are unfalsible claims, ideas that can never be proven even in principle and arent really worth discussing in a serious manner, there are no reasons for believing in any of that.

I mean we could start a discussion saying I think Korak of gundor got tired of humans on his planet and shipped us all here, that kind of reasoning is so out of wack and so far detached for reality its not really worth discussing.

Maybe not to you.

The truth is thou that there is no hard evidence for what I said to be not true either. Thou it may sound wacky wondering if some high up huge consciousness has us as its game pawns (or whatever one wants to call it for its entertainment).. I personally do think its worth consideration even if it is just to rule out an idea. How can anyone rule out things as being possibly true or not if they never consider them in some way.

People seriously talk about GOD and other things..and that cant be proven. It doesnt mean its not worth serious discussion (thou may not be to all). Its just a matter of what is resonating to you.

I often consider things which cant be proven. Just cause something isnt proven it doesnt necessarily mean it isnt at all possible. I like to run throu all possibilities I can think of in my head, without doing that, one may miss something which was true.

I still disagree, I think going through all those fanatical ideas are great fun as a kind of activity with friends if you are stoned or something. But as you grow older and mature as a responsible adult, going through the infinite possibilities of theoretical explanations to explain a single phenomenon that you experienced in your small life is really a waste of time if you are doing it at this deep level. At a young age you sort of accept that one of those billions of contradicting solutions could be true, and you just move on really. To discuss something that cannot be proved, has no real reasoning behind it, and has nothing to do with the actual issues that we all face, to me personally seems to be a huge waste of time. And to actually base your real life decisions on something like that is another step entirely and honestly in my opinion is extremely irresponsible for an adult to do.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 03 Mar 2013 06:03

Jack Reacher wrote: But as you grow older and mature as a responsible adult, going through the infinite possibilities of theoretical explanations to explain a single phenomenon that you experienced in your small life is really a waste of time if you are doing it at this deep level. At a young age you sort of accept that one of those billions of contradicting solutions could be true, and you just move on really. To discuss something that cannot be proved, has no real reasoning behind it, and has nothing to do with the actual issues that we all face, to me personally seems to be a huge waste of time. And to actually base your real life decisions on something like that is another step entirely and honestly in my opinion is extremely irresponsible for an adult to do.

So what you are saying are saying is that and only irresponsible and immature people believe in God? This idea looks like the typical atheist self-righteousness. Just more dogma as far as I'm concerned.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 03 Mar 2013 06:16

lucidinthe sky wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote: But as you grow older and mature as a responsible adult, going through the infinite possibilities of theoretical explanations to explain a single phenomenon that you experienced in your small life is really a waste of time if you are doing it at this deep level. At a young age you sort of accept that one of those billions of contradicting solutions could be true, and you just move on really. To discuss something that cannot be proved, has no real reasoning behind it, and has nothing to do with the actual issues that we all face, to me personally seems to be a huge waste of time. And to actually base your real life decisions on something like that is another step entirely and honestly in my opinion is extremely irresponsible for an adult to do.

So what you are saying are saying is that and only irresponsible and immature people believe in God? This idea looks like the typical atheist self-righteousness. Just more dogma as far as I'm concerned.

No im not saying that at all, I never mentioned God once. I simply said to base your actions on ideas that are unfalsible and have no real reasoning behind them are indeed irresponsible. Believing in something like that isn't really irresponsible, I never really said anything about that. Instead of twisting my words, maybe highlight where I actually say what you imply.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 03 Mar 2013 06:26

Jack Reacher wrote:I see where you are coming from but the things you want us to think about are unfalsible claims, ideas that can never be proven even in principle and arent really worth discussing in a serious manner, there are no reasons for believing in any of that.

I mean we could start a discussion saying I think Korak of gundor got tired of humans on his planet and shipped us all here, that kind of reasoning is so out of wack and so far detached for reality its not really worth discussing.

In the end, some of us still choose to as the "what if.." questions.

And just because YOU do not agree with it and think it's "wack", doesn't mean everyone does. One mans "wack", is another mans treasure. :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 03 Mar 2013 06:34

Ryan wrote:

In the end, some of us still choose to as the "what if.." questions.

And just because YOU do not agree with it and think it's "wack", doesn't mean everyone does. One mans "wack", is another mans treasure. :)

Yup I fully get that, it becomes obvious from an early age that the human race is divided and most groups believe in conflicting ideologies, meaning the majority are wrong. I assumed that went without saying. Im just stating my opinion, that discussing unfalsible ideas or theories to explain a given phenomena is ok for a light hearted discussion, but to base your actions and influence other people is an irresponsible thing entirely for an adult to do.

In other words, I make space and time for this sort of discussion as a fun sort of exercise, but at the end of the day all of it is just a topic on some random forum that has nothing to do with the real problems and realities of life.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 03 Mar 2013 06:53

Jack Reacher wrote:Yup I fully get that, it becomes obvious from an early age that the human race is divided and most groups believe in conflicting ideologies, meaning the majority are wrong. I assumed that went without saying. Im just stating my opinion, that discussing unfalsible ideas or theories to explain a given phenomena is ok for a light hearted discussion, but to base your actions and influence other people is an irresponsible thing entirely for an adult to do.

In other words, I make space and time for this sort of discussion as a fun sort of exercise, but at the end of the day all of it is just a topic on some random forum that has nothing to do with the real problems and realities of life.

... and then there are others who take these discussions a bit more seriously. :)

This kind of subject (for example, projection and spirituality) is more than just a "fun sort of exercise" for me. It's even more than a hobby, too. Spirituality, and even Projection, has changed my life entirely and I've become a much better person since this pursuit began. To me, it *IS* based upon real problems and realities of life. So "personal perspective" needs to be taken into account here, I believe.

This is why I don't make fun of people who believe in a certain religion or a god/s. I respect their beliefs and I also respect their ability to discuss their beliefs with impunity in places such as this. I may not believe in a god, but I'll defend their right to openly express themselves as they see fit. When a discussion turns to god and such, I usually just stay out of it, since as I was raised "if you have nothing nice to say..." hehe... this thread has, thankfully, been a bit different and I've enjoyed the many perspectives we've been discussing. So a big thank you to you all for that, I've learned a lot just from this thread alone.

And my apologies if that sounded heavy-hearted or mean spirited in this post, I really do have a smile on my face while I type this stuff. LoL :)
Or join my forums!

Peter

Postby Peter » 03 Mar 2013 07:01

I've become a much better person since this pursuit began.

How do you define better?, is it to the outside world or to yourself and how you are
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 03 Mar 2013 07:05

Ryan wrote:
Jack Reacher wrote:Yup I fully get that, it becomes obvious from an early age that the human race is divided and most groups believe in conflicting ideologies, meaning the majority are wrong. I assumed that went without saying. Im just stating my opinion, that discussing unfalsible ideas or theories to explain a given phenomena is ok for a light hearted discussion, but to base your actions and influence other people is an irresponsible thing entirely for an adult to do.

... and then there are others who take these discussions a bit more seriously. :)

This kind of subject (for example, projection and spirituality) is more than just a "fun sort of exercise" for me. It's even more than a hobby, too. Spirituality, and even Projection, has changed my life entirely and I've become a much better person since this pursuit began. To me, it *IS* based upon real problems and realities of life. So "personal perspective" needs to be taken into account here, I believe.

This is why I don't make fun of people who believe in a certain religion or a god/s. I respect their beliefs and I also respect their ability to discuss their beliefs with impunity in places such as this. I may not believe in a god, but I'll defend their right to openly express themselves as they see fit. When a discussion turns to god and such, I usually just stay out of it, since as I was raised "if you have nothing nice to say..." hehe... this thread has, thankfully, been a bit different and I've enjoyed the many perspectives we've been discussing. So a big thank you to you all for that, I've learned a lot just from this thread alone.

And my apologies if that sounded heavy-hearted or mean spirited in this post, I really do have a smile on my face while I type this stuff. LoL :)

Haha no offense taken, I think you slightly misunderstand where im coming from in my point, like lucid did. Im not saying this entire topic and everyones beliefs are a waste of time, and im not saying deep contemplation about the nature of your existence is a waste of time either, I think I said this before a few times. I do however think that acting on something that isn't valid by its own defintition or something that is unfalsible is a bit irresponsible for an adult. To base and dedicate your life on something like this is your own choice, im fine with that and I mean no disrespect for those who choose to do so. Its when your actions get in the way of the reality of the issues in the real world where i think the problem lies.

Things like making your character/spirit/soul better by becoming a better person and being good natured, I have no problem with this at all, it makes logical sense to me and doesn't really rely on any kind of unknown concepts, you can experience the proof through your own actions, thats the beauty of it. Seeing issues in the world, in the community and other social areas in my life and choosing to do something good about it on my own terms and by my own will and experiencing the benefits that come from it is enough for me, its all I need. After doing this for a while, everything else is well, irrelevant. Unless of course you believe in an afterlife or you beleive that the events of this world are beyond your control and everything runs by some cosmic wacky order, thats when things get a bit iffy for me and to influence others peoples lives by this way of thinking just feels like a mistake for me.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 03 Mar 2013 07:10

Why does America have to be so religious?
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 03 Mar 2013 07:26

Peter wrote:How do you define better?, is it to the outside world or to yourself and how you are

I used to be a very angry person all the time. But now, my perspective within has completely changed from even a few short years ago... and because of it, my external world has changed equally as much. I see myself and the world around me with so much more of a positive eye than I ever used to. I don't get angry at the stupid small stuff anymore. I treat myself and everyone around me with as much Love as I can now... even strangers. I'm also able to now ignore that which WOULD have angered me and turn that prospective anger into Love instead. :)

So to directly answer your question... I changed myself, which, in turn, changed the world. I'm currently living the statement "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Or join my forums!

Return to “Off-Topic”