How do you fly in lucid dreams?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
tea

Re: How do you fly in lucid dreams?

Postby tea » 05 Mar 2013 08:20

HAGART wrote:And without flying, lucid dreams are remarkable nonetheless.

of course they are! no doubt.. but... did you ever fly in a lucid dream? i think if you did, you'd know why ;)
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 05 Mar 2013 21:38

Most of the time I just jump really high and eventually gravity pulls me back down. I've done the arm flapping thing too and it works but feels odd. One time I was flying like superman with my arms outstreched, but my body was still in a standing position and that felt ridiculous too. I've even summoned a dream aid which helps and I float as if standing on a magic carpet, which is similar to the 'chair' technique. But I can't really fly persay, perhaps levitate is a better description. But if you want to travel to a place you see in the distance, I just look at it and will myself to be there and I end up teleporting there. Perhaps my fear of heights and falling is stopping me.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

LucidLeon

Postby LucidLeon » 06 Mar 2013 09:05

When flying short distances, I usually swim in the air. :lol: However I also take off like a rocket with my arms down my sides, fists clenched.

It's such a great feeling to jump off a high building and just before you hit the ground, you change direction and fly horizontally!

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 06 Mar 2013 14:11

I've never actually experienced flying in a LD before, but I would say any of the above said methods will work. Just be creative about it and work with your dreams' logic.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

Lucid Dreamer

Postby Lucid Dreamer » 13 Mar 2013 03:58

for me, it has always been straight forward and simple. i thought that this was the only way to fly and never thought twice.

well in the beginning in my lucid dreams, i would hop around like i was on the moon
but to actually fly, i just stand, give a little hop or jump, and flap my arms. my hands would tend to catch the air, feeling like i was grabbing a physical object. it is extremely hard for me to get started. i cant even imagine how being like superman must feel like.
"All men whilst they are awake are in one common world: but each of them, when he is asleep, is in a world of his own." ~Plutarch

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 14 Mar 2013 02:19

HAGART wrote:I still don't know why people want to fly so much.

Heheh, there's not a whole lot I'd rather do than fly...
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

absintheminded

Postby absintheminded » 14 Mar 2013 22:52

Please see a new post, posted earlier today, the 14th called 'Dreaming. Is THAT IT?' I refer to flying in it. No one ever flies anywhere. There is no one to do that. In a dream? Being the dreamers we are, we get to be 'featured' flying, and it feels as real as it does, given imagination. From first person, the scenery moves in the opposite direction, towards 'you', giving the impression of moving forward. This is testable. Eventually, you might be featured thousands of feet up, looking down a cliff side. Once it's realized there's nothing going beyond the dream itself, why not take a nose dive, head first and go straight for the ground. Chances are you're either featured waking up thinking, boy, that was a close one or you naturally veer out like you see birds do or a fighter jet, just as you're about to hit the ground. The first time will be that thrill 'of your life' that may have you chasing again and again, until it just becomes another happening in the dream....

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Mar 2013 23:43

One time I was flying in a dream and it was just the illusion of flying. I saw houses beneath me, but when I got close I realized they were actually a flat image that seemed 3D due to creative shadowing and the angles at the corners gave the impression of a perspective drawing, but it was actually 2D. Other times it feels more real, but sometimes it only seems like we are 'featured' flying and we are just imagining it. Perhaps I was analyzing it too much and that is why I experienced that.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Mar 2013 01:43

absintheminded wrote:Please see a new post, posted earlier today, the 14th called 'Dreaming. Is THAT IT?' I refer to flying in it. No one ever flies anywhere. There is no one to do that. In a dream? Being the dreamers we are, we get to be 'featured' flying, and it feels as real as it does, given imagination. From first person, the scenery moves in the opposite direction, towards 'you', giving the impression of moving forward.

I think this is correct. We have the sense of movement but it is the scenery that is moving. Sometimes I experience this in waking life too. The effect is the same though. As far as you are concerned, there is movement through some kind of media. I wonder if we are experiencing the movement of "information" that we then process into images, etc.

As for flying, in dreams it seems to be more natural than walking. I often have combination of floating, falling and flying. But the best part is how great it feels, that state of pure existence you feel, defying gravity, not knowing which way is up or down or even where you are. It makes it easy to focus on just that pure state of being there.

What I find the most interesting in dreams is not the fantastic, like flying, but rather the ordinary like how exactly perfect is the taste of that dream sandwich you just ate.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2013 02:40

HAGART wrote:Most of the time I just jump really high and eventually gravity pulls me back down. I've done the arm flapping thing too and it works but feels odd. One time I was flying like superman with my arms outstreched, but my body was still in a standing position and that felt ridiculous too. I've even summoned a dream aid which helps and I float as if standing on a magic carpet, which is similar to the 'chair' technique. But I can't really fly persay, perhaps levitate is a better description. But if you want to travel to a place you see in the distance, I just look at it and will myself to be there and I end up teleporting there. Perhaps my fear of heights and falling is stopping me.

You experiencing it so much like I do. I can levitate in dreams without issues (actually I did that without any fear or issue in yesterdays LD... and often do do that).. its just the flying thing which is an issue to me.

Another thing which could of put me off of flying is (other then the fall I had which hurt).. is one day I was flying and flew so fast it scared me. The sound of travelling so fast became this loud roaring noise and the force of the wind hitting me.. was very unnerving and may of even hurt a little.

I have thou comfortably flew too (so do know how great it can feel too)... wind blowing my hair out and feeling free (on that occassion I did fly like superman). But generally I dont fly. (Ive never tried the flapping my arms thing to fly.. I'd feel stupid to myself doing that so wouldnt find that fun.. so dont desire trying to fly that way. If I fly. its got to be like superman does so I can really enjoy it).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”