Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sander

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sander » 04 Mar 2013 19:18

i think i might have experienced sleep paralysis for the first time. It's weird really, because the last thing i remember was turning from my side to sleep on my back and then the sensations kicked in shortly after. I heard a very loud buzzing/whistling and a sound i can only describe as rumbling. I felt a pressure on my chest and even my face. it felt as if the corners of my mouth were being pulled down. I wanted to check by moving a finger (not moving to much so i won't wake up).. it worked. Yet the sensations kept coming and going... intesifying and weakening... this went on for about 20-30 seconds i think and then it stopped. I had hypnagogia aswell. I really tried to vizualize a dream scene but this sensation was so overwhelming that i really had a hard time focusing on vizualizing, ultimately failing to do so...

was this sleep paralysis?
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

ryder115

Postby ryder115 » 06 Mar 2013 01:04

i've been trying to lucid dream for a while now and so far i've only had one spontaneous DILD. i have two questions: 1. in the days before i had my first sontaneous LD, i had slacked off on my reality checks and had not spent much time thinking about lucidity. the evening before i went to sleep and had the LD, i talked to a friend briefly aboud lucid dreaming. i didnt think about it anymore after that, and was suprised to remember becoming lucid in the morning. in other instances, things that i have thought very briefly about during the day often filter into my dreams. this is not always the case, but it seems that if i think about something alot during the day, it doesnt make as much of an impression on my dream mind. weird right? any thoughts on this, or any techniques i should try? and 2. is this hypnagogia?: ever since i was very young, i have played out day dreams in my head before i drift into sleep. after a while, my controlled visualization starts to transform into uncontrolled stories playing out in my head. these "stories" play out just like dream sequences; they are random, often make little sense, have dream figures doing or saying things that are out of my control. basically the feeling is identical to dreaming, but i know that im still awake and day dreaming. its kind of annoying, cuase when i try to have a WILD, i have trouble forcing the images into my own dream scene. so again, is it hypnogagia, and if so any suggestions for the WILD technique?

Krishna12

Postby Krishna12 » 06 Mar 2013 11:18

I have been lucid dreaming for years now. Usually the dreams are nightmares though. For instance the reason that I am awake right now is because I just had one. It took me four hours to fall asleep, though looking back I think I might have been dreaming that I was trying to fall asleep. When I finally "fell asleep", I woke up immediently with a terrible feeing that someone was breaking into my house. I got up quietly and tried to turn on the light. The switch would not work and my eyes were so heavy that I could barely open them. I opened the door and rushed to the hallway to turn on the light, my eyes were still heavy, but I could see shadows of people. I ran to my roommates room and began to shake her. This is when I realized that I was dreaming. I tried to make the dream better and began screaming at her, but all that came out was mummbling. I drug her to the living room and kept shaking her. I was screaming out(though it was muffled) wake up, wake up to myself! I could not get myself out of the dream. Finally I bit myself so hard that I woke myself out of the dream. Any ideas on better ways to get yourself out of nightmares? Usually I can yell at myself to wake up, but the last few dreams, where I realze that I am dreaming, it seems harder and harder to get out of them.

Sander

Postby Sander » 06 Mar 2013 16:55

wow i'm really surprised that you have been lucid dreaming for years and never learned how to change a nightare into a pleasant dream...

to me, it seems pretty obvious what you should do. Right now, when you realize you're dreaming, you're still participating in the nightmare, still living it like it's really happening, not making you FULLY lucid... What i think you should do is calm down and stop panicking when it happens. Realize you are dreaming and realize that that means that whatever monstrosity is causing your terror isn't real and it can't hurt you. Instead of running from it, face it. I'm not an experience lucid dreamer, but from all that i've read about them, this is what i think is the best way to turn your lucid nichtmares into an enjoyable lucid dream where you can do as you please.
Free Your Mind.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Mar 2013 01:46

Krishna12 wrote:I have been lucid dreaming for years now. Usually the dreams are nightmares though. For instance the reason that I am awake right now is because I just had one. It took me four hours to fall asleep, though looking back I think I might have been dreaming that I was trying to fall asleep. When I finally "fell asleep", I woke up immediently with a terrible feeing that someone was breaking into my house. I got up quietly and tried to turn on the light. The switch would not work and my eyes were so heavy that I could barely open them. I opened the door and rushed to the hallway to turn on the light, my eyes were still heavy, but I could see shadows of people. I ran to my roommates room and began to shake her. This is when I realized that I was dreaming. I tried to make the dream better and began screaming at her, but all that came out was mummbling. I drug her to the living room and kept shaking her. I was screaming out(though it was muffled) wake up, wake up to myself! I could not get myself out of the dream. Finally I bit myself so hard that I woke myself out of the dream. Any ideas on better ways to get yourself out of nightmares? Usually I can yell at myself to wake up, but the last few dreams, where I realze that I am dreaming, it seems harder and harder to get out of them.

Your issue is you are not fully lucid and hence you are not separating the dream from your normal waking reality at all.

eg why if you know you are dreaming.. why they go and try to wake your room mate up if you know you are dreaming at the time? By doing that.. you were playing into your dream and hence maintaining it and the scary situation you were finding yourself in. You currently have a very low level of lucidity (not fully lucid) and need to work on that aspect of things.

Your dream starts off with what sounds to be a false awakening. I hate that.. I get those at times where I think someone is trying to break into my house and then have to wake myself up due to it to check as I dont know if its really happening or not. (unlike what you are experiencing thou.. I just really wake myself up in that case).

To get yourself out of a nightmare you need to be more lucid, lucid enough to realise what isnt real eg not going to be able to wake sister up for help while you are dreaming... and hence be able to base your responses on knowing what is dream and what isnt. You need to IGNORE any scary stuff in a LD .. cause it isnt really real and you know this or use your mind to change it.. which you will not be able to do if you are playing into the dream and conciously feeding the situation you find yourself in.

With lucidity.. you need to face whatever you are fearing in your dream. As far as thou thinking someone has got into your house while you are asleep..that situation I view as different as to most other things which I'd say face it in a dream (cause what if there is a burglar in the house?).. so yeah with this situation thou I do think its best to wake yourself up ASAP to make sure there is really no one in your real life house which shouldnt be there which is influencing your dreaming.

So I think the question you should be asking is how to wake yourself up faster in this situation.. that again thou comes down your awareness and lucidity. The more lucid you are, the easier it is to wake yourself up.. and once again its a case of not playing into that dream (eg not going for sisters help using your dream self which just kept its intensity there).

I suggest next time if you think someone is trying to get into your house and want to wake up.. think of your physical body (do not put focus on your dream body or try to do anything at all with that!! that is where you went wrong), think of your physical body trying to move. Keep awareness that it is completely useless screaming or yelling in your dream body in this situation if there is a real person in the house. Stay calm as that may help you to wake up properly.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Mar 2013 02:03

ryder115 wrote:i've been trying to lucid dream for a while now and so far i've only had one spontaneous DILD. i have two questions: 1. in the days before i had my first sontaneous LD, i had slacked off on my reality checks and had not spent much time thinking about lucidity. the evening before i went to sleep and had the LD, i talked to a friend briefly aboud lucid dreaming. i didnt think about it anymore after that, and was suprised to remember becoming lucid in the morning. in other instances, things that i have thought very briefly about during the day often filter into my dreams. this is not always the case, but it seems that if i think about something alot during the day, it doesnt make as much of an impression on my dream mind. weird right? any thoughts on this, or any techniques i should try? and 2. is this hypnagogia?: ever since i was very young, i have played out day dreams in my head before i drift into sleep. after a while, my controlled visualization starts to transform into uncontrolled stories playing out in my head. these "stories" play out just like dream sequences; they are random, often make little sense, have dream figures doing or saying things that are out of my control. basically the feeling is identical to dreaming, but i know that im still awake and day dreaming. its kind of annoying, cuase when i try to have a WILD, i have trouble forcing the images into my own dream scene. so again, is it hypnogagia, and if so any suggestions for the WILD technique?

Some people I think try to much when it comes to LD and hence arent being relaxed enough and arent just believing that it can just easily happen. That appears to then be able to affect their ability to LD (so they have a LD as soon as they ease off around the subject).

Playing out uncontrolled stories inside your head sounds more like dreaming then hypnagogia.. people often do dream while awake.. (hence where the term day dream comes from).

When you try to WILD.. allow those images to be playing out, they are what you want to be occurring, allow them to intensify and you should end up finding yourself in a deeper dream. You are obviously trying to interfere and change what is the start up of dreams too early, rather then allowing them to intensify first so you are more in them and to the point where they can be stabilised by you. Enjoy what you are seeing and allow yourself to be pulled deeper into it (you can then change it later when you are in the "day" dream better). I use the term "daydream" even if you are doing this at night cause day dream just means dreaming while you are still physically awake.

For lucid dreaming to occur, there needs to be the right balance between what the subconscious mind is creating and your waking conscious mind. You are trying to be too controlling over what you are dreaming before the subconscious mind is coming in enough to balance the intensity of what you are trying to do consciously. (this would also tie in with you trying too hard to LD .. you need to let go more). You need to get this balance right so the dream can be stabilised or stabilise itself.

I got something you could try thou I dont know if it would help or not but Ive used it to help it situations where I need to let go more. Try using a mantra to yourself of "I dont care" when you want to LD. In classes where we were doing clairvoyance.. it can be quite useful as that is another skill in which someone needs to "let go" so images can form so I think it may help some with LD stuff too esp those like yourself who's wakng brain is getting too much in the way.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Mar 2013 02:25

Sander wrote:i think i might have experienced sleep paralysis for the first time. It's weird really, because the last thing i remember was turning from my side to sleep on my back and then the sensations kicked in shortly after. I heard a very loud buzzing/whistling and a sound i can only describe as rumbling. I felt a pressure on my chest and even my face. it felt as if the corners of my mouth were being pulled down. I wanted to check by moving a finger (not moving to much so i won't wake up).. it worked. Yet the sensations kept coming and going... intesifying and weakening... this went on for about 20-30 seconds i think and then it stopped. I had hypnagogia aswell. I really tried to vizualize a dream scene but this sensation was so overwhelming that i really had a hard time focusing on vizualizing, ultimately failing to do so...

was this sleep paralysis?

Sleep paralyses is nothing to do with the sensations felt thou various sensations often do appear in a sleep paralyses state eg buzzing. Sleep paralyses is having ones physical body PARALYSED.

If a person has sleep paralyses when they try to move.. they cant.. eg if you tried to move your whole body.. you couldnt move even when you try..this is sleep paralyses. Hence why at that point people end up focusing on eg a single finger or toe as it usually takes an INTENSE FOCUS to break what is sleep paralyses (not a half hearted effort to move like it sounds you did in your attempt as you were trying not to wake up). You cant see if you have sleep paralyses or not by trying to move but not wake up your physical body as then you truely arent "really trying" to physically move at all.

I suggest to think about rolling out of bed next time you get those sensations.

If you get sleep paralyses... you will know and wont need to be asking that question.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 07 Mar 2013 02:40

parinaz-t wrote:hi!im actually asking this question on behalf of one of my friends!she has been a lucid dreamer for a long time without even knowing what exactly it is!but as i was talking to her the other day she said that she wasnt having any fun during LD!she said that just as she realizes that she is dreaming everything starts to seem fake to her!for example she is able to summen some one and talk to him!but she cant belive it and she thinks what he says is just her own thoughts!it is unbelivable for me,but she told me that she prefers not to get lucid anymore to enjoy her dreams but she cant stop it!
does anyone know what she is doing wrong??

I got like that when I was doing astral projection at one point... got bored (esp when i used to get stuck in my bedroom!). I love LDing as its like being in a great fantasy even if I know its not real. Sounds like your friend doesnt at all enjoy fantasizing?? (I wonder if she has Aspergers, BPD or something else which has her thinking in a very "black and white" kind of matter eg not enjoying something as it isnt real). Does she enjoy TV which isnt real? (Maybe remind her that dreams are the same and if she can enjoy not real TV shows..she should be able to enjoy her dreams. Its rather her own thinking which is getting in the way of enjoying her LDs).

I dont know how you would help someone who dont enjoy fantasy things to enjoy them. Thou I know they arent real.. I really love the surprises I get as my subconsciousness eg the dream, manifests to me and enjoy the feeling of things I dream..

I personally both dont enjoy but on other hand enjoy (cause they are so stupid and pathetic and that in itself makes me mess around with them at times.. its like watching a DVD and laughing at it cause its so astounding bad) my DCs. I usually just ignore them and cant be bothered with them. Thou they are so fake in many ways, there is so much more to our LDs thou which we can have fun with. I love to explore dream settings.

Sander

Postby Sander » 07 Mar 2013 14:07

taniaaust1 wrote:Sleep paralyses is nothing to do with the sensations felt thou various sensations often do appear in a sleep paralyses state eg buzzing. Sleep paralyses is having ones physical body PARALYSED.

If a person has sleep paralyses when they try to move.. they cant.. eg if you tried to move your whole body.. you couldnt move even when you try..this is sleep paralyses. Hence why at that point people end up focusing on eg a single finger or toe as it usually takes an INTENSE FOCUS to break what is sleep paralyses (not a half hearted effort to move like it sounds you did in your attempt as you were trying not to wake up). You cant see if you have sleep paralyses or not by trying to move but not wake up your physical body as then you truely arent "really trying" to physically move at all.

I suggest to think about rolling out of bed next time you get those sensations.

If you get sleep paralyses... you will know and wont need to be asking that question.

thanks for your reply. the reason i thought it was sleep paralysis was because of the sounds. i've read that this is a common sensation in people that experiance sleep paralysis. I also read that having a sleep paralysis event is a good opputunity to induce a LD, so trying to roll out of my bed is not really an option for me, as i'm still trying to achieve my first LD after putting it on hold for a while. So what do you suggest alternatively? What should i do to induce a LD/OBE when i'm experiencing this sensation again?
Free Your Mind.

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 10 Mar 2013 10:34

parinaz-t wrote:hi!im actually asking this question on behalf of one of my friends!she has been a lucid dreamer for a long time without even knowing what exactly it is!but as i was talking to her the other day she said that she wasnt having any fun during LD!she said that just as she realizes that she is dreaming everything starts to seem fake to her!for example she is able to summen some one and talk to him!but she cant belive it and she thinks what he says is just her own thoughts!it is unbelivable for me,but she told me that she prefers not to get lucid anymore to enjoy her dreams but she cant stop it!
does anyone know what she is doing wrong??

A person who Lucid Dreams easily? Lucky! I would have no idea how to stop being lucid but she could try doing a lot of hard things in her dreams maybe? Doing that for me always gets me in a Non-lucid state due to the complications. It tires me. Maybe she could ask a dream person what to do but I doubt that might work if she thinks its herself answering :lol: . Or else just say out loud she wants to be non-lucid or something. These are just guesses because I haven't heard of this before, but it never hurts to try. Sorry I know nothing else. If I could do what she had even with the same problems I'd try to make it fun though :) .

Return to “For Beginners”