Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sterre Duiker

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sterre Duiker » 10 Mar 2013 10:46

Krishna12 wrote:I have been lucid dreaming for years now. Usually the dreams are nightmares though. For instance the reason that I am awake right now is because I just had one. It took me four hours to fall asleep, though looking back I think I might have been dreaming that I was trying to fall asleep. When I finally "fell asleep", I woke up immediently with a terrible feeing that someone was breaking into my house. I got up quietly and tried to turn on the light. The switch would not work and my eyes were so heavy that I could barely open them. I opened the door and rushed to the hallway to turn on the light, my eyes were still heavy, but I could see shadows of people. I ran to my roommates room and began to shake her. This is when I realized that I was dreaming. I tried to make the dream better and began screaming at her, but all that came out was mummbling. I drug her to the living room and kept shaking her. I was screaming out(though it was muffled) wake up, wake up to myself! I could not get myself out of the dream. Finally I bit myself so hard that I woke myself out of the dream. Any ideas on better ways to get yourself out of nightmares? Usually I can yell at myself to wake up, but the last few dreams, where I realze that I am dreaming, it seems harder and harder to get out of them.

Now this is something I can help you with! For me, nightmares help me get lucid so I even try to get them :lol: . Some of this I should thank to my older sister. She said to me that whenever I have monsters in my dream I should throw soap at them and be happy. I know, funny, but it helped me. I'm not saying you should do this exactly, but that you should just be happy and look at everything positively. Just laugh at them instead of asking them why you're doing this and that like most people would say. That gives an atmosphere of seriousness, and so more bravery to break out. If this is hard for you, maybe you should be positive on your real life as well. It helps a lot. If you read a lot of books, and you can't seem to become happy in a nightmare, just let yourself be inspired by characters! Authors tend to make them brave, smart, or something like that. As for me, I like reading ALOT, I even read adult books already. Therefore I like to become characters in my dreams and turn the nightmare into a battlefield with an army of stories at my side. So long, scary things! I know this might be hard for you, since I'm a child and there's always a level of fun for us kids, with less stress than an adult. But this is the best advice I can give to you from my perspective. But kids have loads of arrogance ;)

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 10 Mar 2013 10:54

I can enter a deep deep daydream whenever I want, due to my ADD, age (13), and wild imagination, even I have to admit. I can enter another world during class whenever I want, even with the concentration pill. Yet when I LD its hard to control stuff, while my first LD, a lucky WILD, I could do it easily. Its even hard to STAY lucid with the stabilization checks. Why so? Is there any way I could use my knack of day dreaming for lucid dreaming?

parinaz-t

Postby parinaz-t » 11 Mar 2013 17:29

Sterre Duiker wrote:
parinaz-t wrote:hi!im actually asking this question on behalf of one of my friends!she has been a lucid dreamer for a long time without even knowing what exactly it is!but as i was talking to her the other day she said that she wasnt having any fun during LD!she said that just as she realizes that she is dreaming everything starts to seem fake to her!for example she is able to summen some one and talk to him!but she cant belive it and she thinks what he says is just her own thoughts!it is unbelivable for me,but she told me that she prefers not to get lucid anymore to enjoy her dreams but she cant stop it!
does anyone know what she is doing wrong??

A person who Lucid Dreams easily? Lucky! I would have no idea how to stop being lucid but she could try doing a lot of hard things in her dreams maybe? Doing that for me always gets me in a Non-lucid state due to the complications. It tires me. Maybe she could ask a dream person what to do but I doubt that might work if she thinks its herself answering :lol: . Or else just say out loud she wants to be non-lucid or something. These are just guesses because I haven't heard of this before, but it never hurts to try. Sorry I know nothing else. If I could do what she had even with the same problems I'd try to make it fun though :) .

yes she just thinks she herself is answering the questions:))but trying to do sth difficult may work for her and I'm gonna tell her!thnx:)

Dark wolf

Postby Dark wolf » 12 Mar 2013 17:00

Yow,

A In my last lucid dream i saw an old lady somewhere in the 70-80 and i showed her how high i could jump (what must be flying) and she smiled and told she won't do that, becouse it's dangerous. I am wondering.. What part of the brain did she represent? If i am thinking it must be wisdom/common sense, What are you guys thought 'bout it?
Life is a gift, Not a right.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Mar 2013 19:32

Dark wolf wrote:Yow,

A In my last lucid dream i saw an old lady somewhere in the 70-80 and i showed her how high i could jump (what must be flying) and she smiled and told she won't do that, becouse it's dangerous. I am wondering.. What part of the brain did she represent? If i am thinking it must be wisdom/common sense, What are you guys thought 'bout it?

maybe just an intrusion of your waking life thoughts/feelings about elderly people coming thou subconsciously into the dream eg a part of you may be thinking that its unsafe for a very elderly person to do very high jumps in the air.

it is also very likely to subconsciously symbolically represent something else too.. sorry right now I cant think what high jumps can symbolise so cant give u any clues for the actual possible message of this dream. umm high jumps.. maybe freedom?? Maybe a part of yourself which is often holding you back. Im not sure if the age is representing a "higher part of yourself' eg wisdom..thou old age can. Higher parts of ourself (our wisdom parts) often like to be in high places and would love to be doing high jumps not rather holding ourselves back. To me its not feeling right but as its your dream.. its what feels important to you which is important.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Mar 2013 19:43

Sander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:Sleep paralyses is nothing to do with the sensations felt thou various sensations often do appear in a sleep paralyses state eg buzzing. Sleep paralyses is having ones physical body PARALYSED.

If a person has sleep paralyses when they try to move.. they cant.. eg if you tried to move your whole body.. you couldnt move even when you try..this is sleep paralyses. Hence why at that point people end up focusing on eg a single finger or toe as it usually takes an INTENSE FOCUS to break what is sleep paralyses (not a half hearted effort to move like it sounds you did in your attempt as you were trying not to wake up). You cant see if you have sleep paralyses or not by trying to move but not wake up your physical body as then you truely arent "really trying" to physically move at all.

I suggest to think about rolling out of bed next time you get those sensations.

If you get sleep paralyses... you will know and wont need to be asking that question.

thanks for your reply. the reason i thought it was sleep paralysis was because of the sounds. i've read that this is a common sensation in people that experiance sleep paralysis. I also read that having a sleep paralysis event is a good opputunity to induce a LD, so trying to roll out of my bed is not really an option for me, as i'm still trying to achieve my first LD after putting it on hold for a while. So what do you suggest alternatively? What should i do to induce a LD/OBE when i'm experiencing this sensation again?

If you want to LD you need to let your mind go more and start drifting a little. (but when still hopefully maintainiing awareness. Relaxation for LD isnt just about physical relaxation, the mind needs to be able to drift enough that subconscious images can start coming in so a deeper state there then for an OBE (its hard to say how close you were to LD). For OBE its different.. you dont need to get your subconscious mind creating stuff but rather for those need to shift your energy elsewhere so that you are (that can also trigger off a LD as well due to the imagining..for LD you need to be able to start to imagine stuff). You could be completely in the right state for OBE yet not know it as you havent tried to move away from your physical body.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 12 Mar 2013 19:56

Dark wolf wrote:Yow,

A In my last lucid dream i saw an old lady somewhere in the 70-80 and i showed her how high i could jump (what must be flying) and she smiled and told she won't do that, becouse it's dangerous. I am wondering.. What part of the brain did she represent? If i am thinking it must be wisdom/common sense, What are you guys thoughts 'bout it?

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/
Elderly
To see an elderly person in your dream represents wisdom or spiritual power. Pay attention to the message or advice that the elderly person is conveying to you. He or she can help provide life answers and solutions to your problems and try to guide you toward the right direction.

I advise you not to jump off the swimming-pool high board today.
Last edited by Sterre Duiker on 13 Mar 2013 14:39, edited 2 times in total.

Sander

Postby Sander » 12 Mar 2013 23:32

taniaaust1 wrote:If you want to LD you need to let your mind go more and start drifting a little. (but when still hopefully maintainiing awareness. Relaxation for LD isnt just about physical relaxation, the mind needs to be able to drift enough that subconscious images can start coming in so a deeper state there then for an OBE (its hard to say how close you were to LD). For OBE its different.. you dont need to get your subconscious mind creating stuff but rather for those need to shift your energy elsewhere so that you are (that can also trigger off a LD as well due to the imagining..for LD you need to be able to start to imagine stuff). You could be completely in the right state for OBE yet not know it as you havent tried to move away from your physical body.

not sure i got that...
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 13 Mar 2013 14:35

Sander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:If you want to LD you need to let your mind go more and start drifting a little. (but when still hopefully maintainiing awareness. Relaxation for LD isnt just about physical relaxation, the mind needs to be able to drift enough that subconscious images can start coming in so a deeper state there then for an OBE (its hard to say how close you were to LD). For OBE its different.. you dont need to get your subconscious mind creating stuff but rather for those need to shift your energy elsewhere so that you are (that can also trigger off a LD as well due to the imagining..for LD you need to be able to start to imagine stuff). You could be completely in the right state for OBE yet not know it as you havent tried to move away from your physical body.

not sure i got that...

AKA, when you are falling asleep, let go of your current thoughts and start with a blank mind. Forget about recent problems. Be calm. Close your eyes and do nothing. Slowly, you will see random patterns or visions. This is your mind drifting away. Don't resist as your brain leads you to where it wants. Let it have its fun for a while, at least until you are calm and a little satisfied. Then just say "I want to be Lucid" in your head. Maybe just give the word. It works with me sometimes.
Thats for having an LD, I can't explain how to do OBEs.

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 13 Mar 2013 15:05

To see a shadowy figure in your dream represents characteristics which you have not acknowledged or incorporated into your own personality. Alternatively, it symbolizes the young, the helpless or the under-developed.

This might sound weird, but I just had to share. You see, I have constantly been imagining the same shadow dude when day dreaming. He also seems to appear a lot in my dream logs. So I spoke to him when I was lucid once, and he told me he was my "dream figure." :?:
Now it gets weirder. I recently cannot remember my dreams, but I get small snippets of him helping or teaching or advising of some sort. One shred of the dream is when I just wrote a book that he...inspired :| me with. Like in the definition, he's like a characteristic of me I haven't used. In this case, that missing personality is writing.
Ever since, I often have the need to put something down on paper. I create random, unfinished paragraphs. Sometimes I suddenly have this mad urge to write a short story, and I do it in 3 hours, though it seems like minutes. My English teacher also happens to read one or two of my unfinished "stories" in my notebook and says they're amazing.
Now here's the creepy part. When I daydream, I get a simple plan for a book, and suddenly I'm in it, part of the story, visual pictures and all, creating it along the way in a mere 15 minutes of zoning out. The shadow dude is sometimes part of it, which results to really good stories, otherwise he....becomes a...talking...part of my personality. Isn't that a little crazy, a talking characteristic?
Its like I'm listening to voices inside my head. When you have conversations with an imaginary figure in your heads that means your psycho, right? It does run in the family because one of my aunts is crazy. Could it be possible I have it? I heard some Whack'Os have high IQs, like me. Be honest, because the sooner I know, the better it is. I'm even afraid to LD now. Should I visit a psychologist?

Return to “For Beginners”