Lucid nightmares?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
deepakkumaar97

Re: Lucid nightmares?

Postby deepakkumaar97 » 12 Mar 2013 15:03

taniaaust1 wrote:Yes, its very possible to feel pain in the same way as you would in real life, in a dream where someone is fully lucid

In a lucid (or regular) dream, what you expect to happen, will actually happen.

That is so true. One can also have ones real life normal "instinctual" thoughts come into lucid dreaming which may cause one issues even if one is fully aware one is dreaming at the time.

I wont try flying any more in LDs as one time when I tried that, I threw myself in the air (from standing position..thinking "fly" and expecting to fly but I guess my waking instinct when I felt myself falling, may of been to think of hitting the ground even thou i wasnt aware I'd thought it. I found myself slamming (belly flopping) into the concrete I'd been standing on before my attempt to fly.

This REALLY REALLY HURT.. i was in agony (felt like I broke ribs) as that had happened (felt the same as if I'd done something like that in real life and not bothered to put my hands out to save my fall). That's enough to put anyone off of trying to fly in a LD, its made me paranoid due to the pain one is capable of feeling in a LD (ive since flown in a LD but did it safely sitting in a chair!! flying chair). (Fortunately the pain did soon leave but it was such a shock too).

Makes me wonder if one could die in a LD, what would I have experienced if I'd jumped off a tall building in my LD instead of trying to take off from the ground?.. (I know one can do that in a normal dream no issues but if one did it in a LD could that be dangerous??? would it be easier to give oneself a heart attack due to the waking consciousness being present???)

R99 wrote: i thought u r an expert on this dream exploration. dont make me think i was wrong. looking forward to ur response. i wont let u scare our fellow young dreamers. i bet u can even shot in ur head with a shot gun(results-no head) in the dream and u will surely wake up unharmed. :geek:

I have a similar view for you(taniaaust1) as R99's( of u being an expert), and maybe that's a reason you feel pain. Because in a dream you are as conscious as waking life and one feels pain in waking life and therefore you think and believe about pain in dreams and therefore experience pain.
Do a reality check

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Mar 2013 18:12

R99 wrote:y dont u get that point, i was trying to say. u wont get wounded in physical world through out LD. like Neo do in Matrix just believe. do not link between physical world and dream world.

That's untrue as I once was PHYSCIALLY hurt via a dream (I do since wonder if it was an OBE but it did come across as a dream at the time). In a dream.. my arm was cut by a sword. I woke up to find a strange long mark on my arm (not a scratch but a mark where the sword had cut me)... my arm then swelled up in that area (as if the dream wound got infected or something) and my PHYSICAL arm was quite swollen for days due to this. (but yeah I agree people shouldnt worry about being injured in dreams as I think its extremely rare as I havent heard anyone else being so except via OBES..hence I wonder if it was rather a OBE which injured me..thou I thought it was a dream).

After my incident I did a lot of research and found this mentioned in occultic books.. what happened to me is called "repercussion" can happen in OBE (Ive since come across it in 2-3 books). It is said to occur when ones mind impacts upon the physical body and throu the thought.. manifests thou the auric field, injury then upon the physical body. (Ive since come across two others online into occultic things who also had this same kind of thing happen to them and were injured during an OBE). If you read some very advanced books on this stuff you will come across the term and this. Those who get stigmata http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmata (the wounds christ had strangely appearing on their physical body) that too is said to be a form of repercussion (where the thoughts actually impact upon the physical body)...hypnosis has also been known also to have the ability to do this too (thoughts impacting on physical body and manifesting wounds. There has been cases of hypnosis where people have manifested burn marks on their arm after being poked by something like a pen they are told is a cigarette).

Anyway.. reprecussion is how one can be physically injured due to a dream. Its rare but can occur.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 12 Mar 2013 18:37

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:but obviously there must of been some "subsconscious" (I wasnt aware of it) doubt there or something in my LD skills. Pain in a dream feels just as bad as pain in real life and not something I wish to experience. Its no different to hurting yourself doing something in real life and then avoiding doing it again due to that.

Why don't you ask your subconscious about it then? Just face it with full truth, and demand an insightful answer about why do you actually get hurt. When you know the answer, try to overcome your fears by shouting "I don't want to feel pain anymore" to the dream.

I havent asked my subconsciousness about it as I believe I already know what occured.. it was caused by my thoughts due to the normal human programming we all have due to our normal lives and the fact that Im a very powerful manifestor of my thoughts at times (even in real life).

I wouldnt have had any time shout "I dont want to feel pain" as I was falling as the fall lasted less then a second (as I said it wasnt from any height but I'd thrown myself from standing on ground so didnt get time to consciously think anything). I know one may be able to program oneself not to have any pain in dreams by repeative thinking "I dont feel pain in my dreams" over time but its not something I'd bother wasting my time in doing as that's the ONLY time Ive felt "severe" pain in a LD anyway, so I dont see it as an issue.. (I dont give a crap that I cant just fly thou it would be nice).... I have funner things I like to do then spending time programming myself.

I guess having everything feeling real in dreams also adds to the whole dream experience too.. I'd hate to be having dreams which had a unreal quality to them (thou I do know they arent real.. its good thou having dreams that still feel it). I dont know if I'd like to loose that reality aspect to it even if its a negative aspect (my DCs are already feeling quite unreal most of the time..to the point where I usually ignore them)

That is exactly like my situation. I knew about lucid dreaming in 2011, practiced it for 4 - 6 months (but didn't actually achieve any good results, unfortunately), took a long break, and now I'm back here with full intentions and hopes for the best. ;)

I was lucky.. I did have quite good results. I left doing LD due to health reasons which made it on and off for me to be able to do. Also worried at one point it may of been negatively affecting me health as I went throu a period of a 2-3? weeks were I was ONLY lucid dreaming (up to 8-9 dreams per night..all night long) and thou that isnt a normal state of mine (so I usually dont mention it), I wondered if it was bad for my brain as I felt like my brain wasnt getting to rest as it was constantly then thinking both day and night. Im not sure if brain being constantly awake all the time is healthy.. the whole thing felt like I was being overly mentally stimulated.

Again Tani, if you still insist on not trying to fly, then you're free. Forget about it for now; there are various other experiments you can do in a lucid dream that don't involve being weightlessly airborne. After you feel experienced enough and ready to punch 'your small fear of flying' in the face, then go ahead.

Yeah.. I dont really care about the flying thing.. its no big deal at all :D (thou many here tend to think it is.. I do fly/float in OBEs thou). I guess if I really cared about it, I'd work on fixing my issue with it but it just isnt all that important to me.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Mar 2013 00:58

Pain and Harm are to different things.

In fact pain can be pleasurable.... I LOVE SPICY FOOD! It's a pain that causes no harm (Ok, maybe harm to my colon the next day! ;)),but for some reason I like the feeling when I eat it. It really wakes me up and makes me feel alive. So pain itself is harmless, but in life it tends to alert us to any harm our body is going through. But spicy food tricks the mind and triggers pain, but without any immediate threat to ourselves.

So if you know 100% you will not be harmed in a lucid dream, then the pain is just uncomfortable when it happens and nothing more, and shouldn't stop people from trying again. I once got the notion in a lucid dream to rip off my left arm just to see what would happen, and I felt pain so I stopped. I should try it again and practice what I am preaching!

To Taniaaust1, I wasn't there in your dream and don't know the full story. Perhaps it was a lucid dream more vivid than any I have ever had and I'd be feeling apprehensive too after an experience like that.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Mar 2013 01:11

taniaaust1 wrote:There has been cases of hypnosis where people have manifested burn marks on their arm after being poked by something like a pen they are told is a cigarette).

I've heard of that. You must have to truly believe 100% for it to happen. And it makes sense when you think about it. Hot objects don't cause burn marks, the body creates them as a response to heal it. The redness and the swelling and the liquid under a burn blister are all created by the body as a response. So it is feasible that the mind can create wounds on the body trying to heal something that wasn't inflicted in the first place by shear belief that it experienced harm.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Mar 2013 01:54

HAGART wrote:. I once got the notion in a lucid dream to rip off my left arm just to see what would happen, and I felt pain so I stopped. I should try it again and practice what I am preaching!

lol.. Our minds are a very powerful thing. I wonder how many can saw an arm off in a dream who are having a quite vivid LD? We know its a dream but our minds still get in the way.

Let me know when you've managed to saw your arm off :lol: I wont be trying that... not cause I think it would hurt me but cause I dont think I have the stomach to do that, even in a LD.. I'd probably throw up in my LD. So no thanks to that experience.. if I dont want arms I'll just try to visualize myself without them!!

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Mar 2013 02:08

taniaaust1 wrote:
HAGART wrote:. I once got the notion in a lucid dream to rip off my left arm just to see what would happen, and I felt pain so I stopped. I should try it again and practice what I am preaching!

lol.. Our minds are a very powerful thing. I wonder how many can saw an arm off in a dream who are having a quite vivid LD? We know its a dream but our minds still get in the way.

Let me know when you've managed to saw your arm off :lol: I wont be trying that... not cause I think it would hurt me but cause I dont think I have the stomach to do that, even in a LD.. I'd probably throw up in my LD. So no thanks to that experience.. if I dont want arms I'll just try to visualize myself without them!!

I got the idea a while back after Jam Jam opened a discussion about crazy ideas to do in a lucid dream. (I don't think Jam Jam has been on in a while....) BUT That is how it started. I don't normally do things like that. And I wasn't sawing it off, I grabbed my left arm above the elbow with my right hand and tried to yank it off. I wasn't looking at it, so there would be no blood or gruesomeness anyway. HOWEVER, the sensation was too real to continue.....

BUT now that I brought it up, I should try it again. I've had a lucid dream dry spell these past two weeks, but with a strong intention and a task to perform it tends to spawn a lucid dream for me so.... finger's crossed? What am I saying..... I HOPE I TEAR MY ARM OFF TONIGHT!? :twisted: What's wrong with ME! :lol:

Actually, it would be a good experience to share, so in a way... I do hope I am lucid and try it again. Even if I fail, it would be an interesting story. Not all my lucid dreams feel like I have a body. They are mostly visual and audible only and this endeavor would have to be done in a vivid lucid dream where you can actually feel like you have an arm in the first place. And the challenge isn't about seeing any gruesome details, but the SENSATION of ripping off one arm and holding it in the other.
Last edited by HAGART on 13 Mar 2013 02:21, edited 2 times in total.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Mar 2013 02:19

HAGART wrote: I got the idea a while back after Jam Jam opened a discussion about crazy ideas to do in a lucid dream. (I don't think Jam Jam has been on in a while....) BUT That is how it started. I don't normally do things like that. And I wasn't sawing it off, I grabbed my left arm above the elbow with my right hand and tried to yank it off. I wasn't looking at it, so there would be no blood or gruesomeness anyway. HOWEVER, the sensation was too real to continue.....

BUT now that I brought it up, I should try it again. I've had a lucid dream dry spell these past two weeks, but with a strong intention and a task to perform it tends to spawn a lucid dream for me so.... finger's crossed? What am I saying..... I HOPE I TEAR MY ARM OFF TONIGHT!? :twisted: Wrongs wrong with ME! :lol:

(actually, it would be a good experience to share, so in a way... I do hope I am lucid and try it again. Even if I fail, it would be an interesting story......)

Yeah interesting story no matter what happens :mrgreen:

Quite possibly you will find yourself not strong enough to rip your own arm off if normal waking thoughts intrude. I suggest to get some rope and tie your arm to a LD car which is about to drive off. ***gives me an image of car skiing... umm sounds fun**

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 13 Mar 2013 02:58

taniaaust1 wrote:Quite possibly you will find yourself not strong enough to rip your own arm off

I tried to look up that dream I had on my dream journal, but I can't find it. Perhaps I didn't write it down and now wish I had. (Another good reason to record your dreams if others are reading this). So I can only go on what I recall.

Now that I remember, I think I did fail because I didn't have the strength. It also hurt, but it was my strength that stopped me. And the pain too. It's a mind hurdle and a good challenge.

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 13 Mar 2013 14:31

taniaaust1 wrote:I wondered if it was bad for my brain as I felt like my brain wasnt getting to rest as it was constantly then thinking both day and night. Im not sure if brain being constantly awake all the time is healthy.. the whole thing felt like I was being overly mentally stimulated.

I have to do a research about this topic sometime. But I don't think it's that big of a problem, unless you are an absolute expert lucid dreamer that you experience really long lucid dreams, or too many of them at a night. And that is which most of us find hard to achieve- long lucid dreams.

taniaaust1 wrote:Yeah.. I dont really care about the flying thing.. its no big deal at all :D (thou many here tend to think it is.. I do fly/float in OBEs thou). I guess if I really cared about it, I'd work on fixing my issue with it but it just isnt all that important to me.

Okay then, if that's good for you, it's also good to me. Though, I really want to fly in my first vivid lucid dream.
About OBEs...Because they are really some inner-generated experiences, and a lot of people doubt their existence, I find it a complex and a deep topic to actually talk about at this point. Even more complex than lucid dreaming. And of course, since I haven't had any meaningful or vivid lucid dreams yet, I can't factually drop into an OBE. I still have a great belief towards them nonetheless. I think I've read somewhere that you can order your dream when you are lucid to project your consciousness outside of your physical body, therefore, turning the highly awake mental state of lucid dreaming into Astral Projection or OBEs. That's what I'll try to do eventually when I get the chance.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

Return to “For Beginners”