Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
alfedrier

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby alfedrier » 14 Mar 2013 05:53

So last night I had my first, I think 'real success'. It was quite short though. I was sitting the the passenger side of my mother's SUV(the interior was similar, not quite the same. I assume my mother was driving, there was a female in the seat next to me.), and as soon as we pulled into a garage I suddenly shouted "I'M DREAMING!".(No reaction from my neighbor) I watched myself lean forward as i said this in third person directly behind and above my head, and suddenly I was in first person. At this point I believe I was in control of myself, I felt my heart beating hard, I'd read that most people shock themselves out of their first time. I tried to calm down, did my chosen reality check, which is trying to put my hand through my hand, usually my right through my left... but it didn't go through! I could feel my nails pressing against the skin, even though I pushed as hard as i could. I got disheartened after that, I then went with the dream and then got out of the car and pushed some random buggy as my mom said, "Help me unload the car." The buggy swerved close to the car when i tried to push it, and I remember ditching it and walking around the back of the vehical toward the house. At that point I woke up, thought about what I had seen and felt long enough for it to take hold in my memory, and then went back to sleep. I had normal dreams the rest of the night. This entire experience felt like it lasted around 10-12 seconds.

My typical routine is to watch the shapes when i close my eyes, and wait for them to look like something, at one point I was seeing momentary color images, that would sort of get closer and farther as if they were resting just under a dark surface of water, like momentary holes in the froth. (funny story, I ended up dreaming about being able to see black and white images through my eyelids that time, i remember complaining that there wasn't enough light in my room to see more words on the pages on the book i was trying to read.) This was my second small breakthrough. The first was when I dreamed I was sitting in a fast food joint, then tried to put on a pair of sweat pants only to find that I was already wearing an identical pair. I felt confused for a brief moment because I didn't remember putting the first pair on, but then I took off the extra and went back to eating, then stole an iPad and a laptop from a nearby table.

Was I not completely lucid, or was the exhilaration and seeming control just another part of the dream? I'm wondering if me talking about lucid dreaming and how I've been creating characters out of fragments of my personality or psyche right before I went to sleep caused me to only dream about being lucid. Is it possible to be in control of yourself, but not the dream?

I've only been at this for about three and a half weeks now, I discovered this forum two weeks ago, but only just made an account today since I finally have something relatively meaningful to share. I'm going to go to sleep now, I'll be back on in the morning.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Mar 2013 09:57

alfedrier wrote: and suddenly I was in first person. At this point I believe I was in control of myself, I felt my heart beating hard, I'd read that most people shock themselves out of their first time. I tried to calm down, did my chosen reality check, which is trying to put my hand through my hand, usually my right through my left... but it didn't go through! I could feel my nails pressing against the skin, even though I pushed as hard as i could. I got disheartened after that, I then went with the dream

I think it sounds as if you were lucid but when your reality check failed.. you probably felt confused at that point and hence just then went along with the dream (as it can be harder to use your waking mind when dreaming even if you know you are dreaming). Things not going as expected can confuse esp if lucid but not to the level they are in normal waking life.

Congrats :D (try not to be so put off when things dont go as expected. LD is a balance between the waking consciousness and the subconciousness so unexpected things do and will happen at times)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Mar 2013 10:08

Sterre Duiker wrote:To see a shadowy figure in your dream represents characteristics which you have not acknowledged or incorporated into your own personality. Alternatively, it symbolizes the young, the helpless or the under-developed.

This might sound weird, but I just had to share. You see, I have constantly been imagining the same shadow dude when day dreaming. He also seems to appear a lot in my dream logs. So I spoke to him when I was lucid once, and he told me he was my "dream figure." :?:
Now it gets weirder. I recently cannot remember my dreams, but I get small snippets of him helping or teaching or advising of some sort. One shred of the dream is when I just wrote a book that he...inspired :| me with. Like in the definition, he's like a characteristic of me I haven't used. In this case, that missing personality is writing.
Ever since, I often have the need to put something down on paper. I create random, unfinished paragraphs. Sometimes I suddenly have this mad urge to write a short story, and I do it in 3 hours, though it seems like minutes. My English teacher also happens to read one or two of my unfinished "stories" in my notebook and says they're amazing.
Now here's the creepy part. When I daydream, I get a simple plan for a book, and suddenly I'm in it, part of the story, visual pictures and all, creating it along the way in a mere 15 minutes of zoning out. The shadow dude is sometimes part of it, which results to really good stories, otherwise he....becomes a...talking...part of my personality. Isn't that a little crazy, a talking characteristic?
Its like I'm listening to voices inside my head. When you have conversations with an imaginary figure in your heads that means your psycho, right? It does run in the family because one of my aunts is crazy. Could it be possible I have it? I heard some Whack'Os have high IQs, like me. Be honest, because the sooner I know, the better it is. I'm even afraid to LD now. Should I visit a psychologist?

No you dont at all need a psychologist... you know he's not "real" but rather a part of you and he's not making you do bad or crazy things. Sounds cool :) .. let him talk away. (I wouldnt thou tell others in your real life thou that you have another talking in your head as they may get the wrong idea)

alfedrier

Postby alfedrier » 14 Mar 2013 17:11

taniaaust1 wrote:
alfedrier wrote: and suddenly I was in first person. At this point I believe I was in control of myself, I felt my heart beating hard, I'd read that most people shock themselves out of their first time. I tried to calm down, did my chosen reality check, which is trying to put my hand through my hand, usually my right through my left... but it didn't go through! I could feel my nails pressing against the skin, even though I pushed as hard as i could. I got disheartened after that, I then went with the dream

I think it sounds as if you were lucid but when your reality check failed.. you probably felt confused at that point and hence just then went along with the dream (as it can be harder to use your waking mind when dreaming even if you know you are dreaming). Things not going as expected can confuse esp if lucid but not to the level they are in normal waking life.

Congrats :D (try not to be so put off when things dont go as expected. LD is a balance between the waking consciousness and the subconciousness so unexpected things do and will happen at times)

Awesome! That makes me feel so much better. Now if only I could figure out why a lot of my dreams either revolve around pants or me not wearing any. :/

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 14 Mar 2013 18:00

alfedrier wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:

Awesome! That makes me feel so much better. Now if only I could figure out why a lot of my dreams either revolve around pants or me not wearing any. :/

I just had to add, It was too tempting :) .

Pants
To see or wear pants in your dream suggest that you are questioning your role in some situation. Consider the material and color of the pants for additional interpretation. Alternatively, the dream may be hinting at some sexual matter.

To dream that you are wearing velvet pants signifies your sensual side.

Sander

Postby Sander » 14 Mar 2013 20:44

bumming really hard right now... i was in a dream and everything all seemed so real, i was so cinvinced that i wasn't dreaming that i told my gf and even did a RC to prove it. the RC failed and my point was confirmed. the worst part is that at some point before i did the RC, i noticed something was off... but my mind refused to believe that i was dreaming.. :( i couldn't be dreaming because everything i saw, everythingi felt, everything i said just felt so real :(

how do i increase my awareness in the dreamworld?
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Mar 2013 00:55

Sander wrote:bumming really hard right now... i was in a dream and everything all seemed so real, i was so cinvinced that i wasn't dreaming that i told my gf and even did a RC to prove it. the RC failed and my point was confirmed.

that's what you did wrong.. you were convinced you were not dreaming!! Hence due to that your reality check failed. What you believe will happen in a dream and you need not to be biased towards whether you are dreaming or not when you do your reality check other wise they wont work. When you do a reality check.. you got to be genuinely wanting to know "Are I dreaming or not?" and realise that you could well be.

Setting out to "prove" you arent dreaming.. that reality check basically had no chance of succeding.

Your awareness wasnt at all the issue in that dream but rather your need to prove you were right which was the issue. (One will nearly always prove oneself to be right about something in the dream world even if you are wrong). You need to be open to other possibilities and that you may be wrong about some things. Being closed minded in the dream world will block out all kinds of things as it will conform to your own expectations of it.

Sander

Postby Sander » 17 Mar 2013 20:57

taniaaust1 wrote:
Sander wrote:bumming really hard right now... i was in a dream and everything all seemed so real, i was so cinvinced that i wasn't dreaming that i told my gf and even did a RC to prove it. the RC failed and my point was confirmed.

that's what you did wrong.. you were convinced you were not dreaming!! Hence due to that your reality check failed. What you believe will happen in a dream and you need not to be biased towards whether you are dreaming or not when you do your reality check other wise they wont work. When you do a reality check.. you got to be genuinely wanting to know "Are I dreaming or not?" and realise that you could well be.

Setting out to "prove" you arent dreaming.. that reality check basically had no chance of succeding.

Your awareness wasnt at all the issue in that dream but rather your need to prove you were right which was the issue. (One will nearly always prove oneself to be right about something in the dream world even if you are wrong). You need to be open to other possibilities and that you may be wrong about some things. Being closed minded in the dream world will block out all kinds of things as it will conform to your own expectations of it.

and THAT is what i don't get... how do i control what i'm thinking in the dream world?? i don't have the slightest bit of free will. While dreaming.. everything just happens.. my actions, everything i say... even my thoughts are completely beyond me... when i woke up i immediately realized thtat i was dreaming, but during my dream, my subconcious was convinced that this was reality. THAT is my question... how do i make my dream self realize that there is a possibility that this is all a dream??
Free Your Mind.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Mar 2013 23:51

Sander wrote: and THAT is what i don't get... how do i control what i'm thinking in the dream world?? i don't have the slightest bit of free will. While dreaming.. everything just happens.. my actions, everything i say... even my thoughts are completely beyond me... when i woke up i immediately realized thtat i was dreaming, but during my dream, my subconcious was convinced that this was reality. THAT is my question... how do i make my dream self realize that there is a possibility that this is all a dream??

Then you do really have problems. If you havent got enough of your normal waking consciousness (eg not lucid enough) coming into the dream, you wont be able to control your thoughts at all. If you have full lucidity you will be fully in control of your thoughts and actions as much control as you have in real life. Lucidity varies from knowing you are dreaming while in the dream and having partial control to having full control. If someone has NO control at all over their own thoughts or actions but think they are lucid.. it may be cause they are only dreaming they are lucid rather then they actually are.

It wasnt at all a lucid dream then if you only realised it was a dream once you woke up.. you were still completely in your subconscious mind rather then your waking mind coming into things too. It sounds as if you dreamed you were lucid rather then really being lucid.

Sander

Postby Sander » 19 Mar 2013 19:29

taniaaust1 wrote:Then you do really have problems. If you havent got enough of your normal waking consciousness (eg not lucid enough) coming into the dream, you wont be able to control your thoughts at all. If you have full lucidity you will be fully in control of your thoughts and actions as much control as you have in real life. Lucidity varies from knowing you are dreaming while in the dream and having partial control to having full control. If someone has NO control at all over their own thoughts or actions but think they are lucid.. it may be cause they are only dreaming they are lucid rather then they actually are.

It wasnt at all a lucid dream then if you only realised it was a dream once you woke up.. you were still completely in your subconscious mind rather then your waking mind coming into things too. It sounds as if you dreamed you were lucid rather then really being lucid.

i'm not saying i was lucid.. i missed a great oppurtunity to become lucid.. the problem is that my mind has no intention to question the dream world. I had a lucid dream once, but that was an accidental WILD, i think.. That 1 lasted for about 20 minutes and was a fun experience. I only had 1 lucid dream that was induced by realizing something was weird and doing a RC to see if i was dreaming and that one only lasted for 5 seconds at best (was my second and last LD).

My question, thus, is: how to make my mind take a more critical position while dreaming. I'm doing my RC's mindfully, so i'm pretty sure that's not the problem.
Free Your Mind.

Return to “For Beginners”