Lucid nightmares?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Re: Lucid nightmares?

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 13 Mar 2013 14:40

HAGART wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:
HAGART wrote:. I once got the notion in a lucid dream to rip off my left arm just to see what would happen, and I felt pain so I stopped. I should try it again and practice what I am preaching!

lol.. Our minds are a very powerful thing. I wonder how many can saw an arm off in a dream who are having a quite vivid LD? We know its a dream but our minds still get in the way.

Let me know when you've managed to saw your arm off :lol: I wont be trying that... not cause I think it would hurt me but cause I dont think I have the stomach to do that, even in a LD.. I'd probably throw up in my LD. So no thanks to that experience.. if I dont want arms I'll just try to visualize myself without them!!

I got the idea a while back after Jam Jam opened a discussion about crazy ideas to do in a lucid dream. (I don't think Jam Jam has been on in a while....) BUT That is how it started. I don't normally do things like that. And I wasn't sawing it off, I grabbed my left arm above the elbow with my right hand and tried to yank it off. I wasn't looking at it, so there would be no blood or gruesomeness anyway. HOWEVER, the sensation was too real to continue.....

BUT now that I brought it up, I should try it again. I've had a lucid dream dry spell these past two weeks, but with a strong intention and a task to perform it tends to spawn a lucid dream for me so.... finger's crossed? What am I saying..... I HOPE I TEAR MY ARM OFF TONIGHT!? :twisted: What's wrong with ME! :lol:

Actually, it would be a good experience to share, so in a way... I do hope I am lucid and try it again. Even if I fail, it would be an interesting story. Not all my lucid dreams feel like I have a body. They are mostly visual and audible only and this endeavor would have to be done in a vivid lucid dream where you can actually feel like you have an arm in the first place. And the challenge isn't about seeing any gruesome details, but the SENSATION of ripping off one arm and holding it in the other.

I'm never trying to rip my arm off in a dream. Or at least for the now being. Still though, it might not be that painful to sense your ripped arm. You can trick your brain to make you feel an intense, but pleasant sensation of that scenario. You know, it's essentially the same thing as the authentic feeling of eating a whole, dirty brick in a lucid dream. It might have the yuck feeling to it, but it might also turn out to taste like chocolate. Your expectations and your subconscious' guide the emotions and feelings of the dream.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 14 Mar 2013 23:15

I was lucid last night and tried to rip my arm off. I grabbed my left arm with my right hand and tried to yank it off. IT DIDN'T WORK!

I felt like I just wasn't strong enough. I started to feel some pain in the ball and socket joint were the arm attaches to the shoulder and I stopped. It felt so real I even thought I may wake up with a pain in my shoulder after doing it, but I didn't. There was no harm done.

But even if I tried attaching my arm to a moving car like Tani suggested or tried to stick it in some large gears of a machine, I think I would chicken out. Why would I do something so negative to myself in a lucid dream? It would ruin it.

Maybe one day I will if I get bored enough in a dream and muster up the inner strength, and don't mind doing something crazy which will ruin it. Why you ask? Simply because it is hard. "Not because it is easy, but because it is hard." And no other reason than that. It is really hard because it goes against everything your mind is telling you.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2013 02:10

HAGART wrote:I was lucid last night and tried to rip my arm off. I grabbed my left arm with my right hand and tried to yank it off. IT DIDN'T WORK!

I felt like I just wasn't strong enough. I started to feel some pain in the ball and socket joint were the arm attaches to the shoulder and I stopped. It felt so real I even thought I may wake up with a pain in my shoulder after doing it, but I didn't. There was no harm done.

But even if I tried attaching my arm to a moving car like Tani suggested or tried to stick it in some large gears of a machine, I think I would chicken out. Why would I do something so negative to myself in a lucid dream? It would ruin it.

The thing is it wouldnt ruin your LD if you can completely get past the normal human mind programming we have that ripping our arms off arent going to hurt!

lol.. I understand the challenge of trying to do 'hard" things. Im sometimes drawn to trying something for that very reason. The rip off arm thing.. is a challenge I may be drawn to do if I ever get bored too (cant see that thou happening for a while thou but our discussion has me becoming more and more intregued whether I could do it if I really tried). I do think thou if one is lucid but has ones waking consciousness there not as strong as in real life..that that challenge would be easier to do then. Some may achieve it easy due to that eg If I'd tried something like that last night I may of succeded as thou I knew I was dreaming the degree of waking consciousness I had coming into the dream was varying a lot.

But doing it real fast would be the best way to succede in a rip off arm challenge (thinking about it too much will just bring in natural fears of pain). Maybe someone whos a saddist who enjoys pain could get past that easier then most of us.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2013 02:29

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:I have to do a research about this topic sometime. But I don't think it's that big of a problem, unless you are an absolute expert lucid dreamer that you experience really long lucid dreams, or too many of them at a night. And that is which most of us find hard to achieve- long lucid dreams.

I used to have very long lucid dreams and many in one night at one stage (I used to dream up to 7-9 dreams a night, I cant remember now thou how many was my lucid record in one night).. hence it did become an issue for me.. my mind never felt rested as my thoughts were going constantly. I ended up feeling like I needed mental relaxation too... a break from it.

About OBEs...Because they are really some inner-generated experiences, and a lot of people doubt their existence, I find it a complex and a deep topic to actually talk about at this point. Even more complex than lucid dreaming. And of course, since I haven't had any meaningful or vivid lucid dreams yet, I can't factually drop into an OBE. I still have a great belief towards them nonetheless. I think I've read somewhere that you can order your dream when you are lucid to project your consciousness outside of your physical body, therefore, turning the highly awake mental state of lucid dreaming into Astral Projection or OBEs. That's what I'll try to do eventually when I get the chance.

Once you are percieving from a lucid dream state.. this means the subconciousness is manfesting and creating what you are seeing (while images can appear too from your thoughts but that is all they are. still images etc and not reality.. mental thought forms). From that state anything you see is just your subconsciousness and also waking consciousness (if lucid) creating images etc. If you try to OBE from that state you will then just easily dream you are having an OBE as what you think in your dream appears in your dream but it isnt real.

For that reason I myself would never believe an OBE experience I had during a dream is real, it is more likely to be just another creation just via your thoughts appearing real. (it is possible that many false awakenings may in fact thou be astral experiences.. person has woken up but instead of waking up physically, they've woken up to the astral world which can be just like the physical as everything from our physical word leaves an energetic imprint in the astral).

R99

Postby R99 » 15 Mar 2013 05:51

taniaaust1 wrote:.

I used to have very long lucid dreams and many in one night at one stage (I used to dream up to 7-9 dreams a night, I cant remember now thou how many was my lucid record in one night).. hence it did become an issue for me.. my mind never felt rested as my thoughts were going constantly. I ended up feeling like I needed mental relaxation too... a break from it.

do that.. i think u need it.
I see the Truth now.

R99

Postby R99 » 15 Mar 2013 05:58

HAGART wrote:I was lucid last night and tried to rip my arm off. I grabbed my left arm with my right hand and tried to yank it off. IT DIDN'T WORK!

Maybe one day I will if I get bored enough in a dream and muster up the inner strength, and don't mind doing something crazy which will ruin it. Why you ask? Simply because it is hard. "Not because it is easy, but because it is hard." And no other reason than that. It is really hard because it goes against everything your mind is telling you.

if u r trying to get some pain from dream world dont do it like "its just a dream, nothing gonna get wrong" do it like "i believe that am going to experience the pain in physic world" see if that helps. BUT dont do anyhying like intense as ripping ur arm off.(thats bcoz i believe in the strength of mind. if u believe that u can reduce pain by ur mental power, it works in opposite way too) do simple as bend ur finger opposite way. see if that works.
I see the Truth now.

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 15 Mar 2013 14:53

taniaaust1 wrote:
PrototypeTEGTA wrote:I have to do a research about this topic sometime. But I don't think it's that big of a problem, unless you are an absolute expert lucid dreamer that you experience really long lucid dreams, or too many of them at a night. And that is which most of us find hard to achieve- long lucid dreams.

About OBEs...Because they are really some inner-generated experiences, and a lot of people doubt their existence, I find it a complex and a deep topic to actually talk about at this point. Even more complex than lucid dreaming. And of course, since I haven't had any meaningful or vivid lucid dreams yet, I can't factually drop into an OBE. I still have a great belief towards them nonetheless. I think I've read somewhere that you can order your dream when you are lucid to project your consciousness outside of your physical body, therefore, turning the highly awake mental state of lucid dreaming into Astral Projection or OBEs. That's what I'll try to do eventually when I get the chance.

Once you are percieving from a lucid dream state.. this means the subconciousness is manfesting and creating what you are seeing (while images can appear too from your thoughts but that is all they are. still images etc and not reality.. mental thought forms). From that state anything you see is just your subconsciousness and also waking consciousness (if lucid) creating images etc. If you try to OBE from that state you will then just easily dream you are having an OBE as what you think in your dream appears in your dream but it isnt real.

For that reason I myself would never believe an OBE experience I had during a dream is real, it is more likely to be just another creation just via your thoughts appearing real. (it is possible that many false awakenings may in fact thou be astral experiences.. person has woken up but instead of waking up physically, they've woken up to the astral world which can be just like the physical as everything from our physical word leaves an energetic imprint in the astral).

So you are saying that it's barely and hardly possible to turn a LD into an OBE?
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Mar 2013 11:00

PrototypeTEGTA wrote: So you are saying that it's barely and hardly possible to turn a LD into an OBE?

Probably thou I could be wrong about that..but from what I do know I'd think it would be extremely hard as one would be extremely likely to just be dream manifesting things.

Thou I have had many LDs and OBES over the years (Im not an expert thou). I wouldnt attempt it as I know how hard it can be at times for people even myself to tell them apart at times, there can be very subtle differences anyway without trying to do it from a dreaming (illusionary) state. You should have your mind as much as possible in your normal waking awareness state (not a subconcious state) if you really want to have a OBE and not a false image of one. I think people trying to do OBES from dream states or people dreaming they OBE, is why so many end up believing they are the same thing.. as I think they just ended up dreaming they had an OBE. (it thou is possible to start dreaming while in an OBE but then one looses their consciousness of their astral body just like one looses ones consciousness of the physicial body when one dreams eg you know you have a physical body cant usually feel it).

I think someone would be highly experienced with the two states to have at least some form of hope of experiencing their real astral body from a dream state. (I dont know if that's possible thou maybe if one was having a false awakening and became aware one was cause I do suspect FAs are often happening from the astral body state thou I dont know that for sure at all).

Return to “For Beginners”