Did I join a dream with another lucid person?!

Tell us about your first lucid dream - and your latest. We want all the juicy details. Also share results of dream challenge experiments.
Jack Reacher

Re: Did I join a dream with another lucid person?!

Postby Jack Reacher » 15 Mar 2013 06:30

Well I think it would be a good thing if it was more mainstream. More awareness might mean more demand for more research into this stuff, so scientists could get more funding. More peopel that are aware means we have larger communities, more methods on how to do this stuff, more hypotheses on how its done, and more people can share posts like yours about shared dreaming I suppose so we get a better feel for whats normal.

Like I have been saying over and over, I dont mind you talking about your experiences, I dont mind you having a viewpoint that people can share dreams, and I agree with you in saying that people should choose their own viewpoints and be able to make up their own minds. Which brings me to my point, you shouldn't state controversial stuff as fact unless you can link it to decent evidence. I think telling your own story is fine, but something just doesn't sit right with me when you tell newcomers that it is a certainty that shared dreaming is possible, it gives off the wrong impression.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Mar 2013 07:07

Jack Reacher wrote:Based on my experence with the general population, its my hypothesis that the reason why lucid dreaming isn't a mainstream topic is because it is associated with mystical beliefs such as spiritual planes, astral projection, and other mystical concepts that the majority of the population wants no interest in, I dont really want to say why at the risk of offending you.

The percentage of people who believe in spiritual/mystical things really varies with where you live according to some basic statisics I've been looking at. According to the statistics I've read, where you live in New Zealand, there is a much higher percentage of people who do not believe in these things than where I live, in the U.S.

Outside of this forum, I haven't had anyone tell me about an association between any kind of dreaming and mystical beliefs. So for the sake of statisical evidence, I would say that this forum is a small sample. Everyone dreams whether you believe in it or not and lucid dreams are just regular dreams. There are some people who believe that dreams are a spiritual experience, but it doesn't seem like many to me.

Jack Reacher wrote:Well I think it would be a good thing if it was more mainstream. More awareness might mean more demand for more research into this stuff, so scientists could get more funding. More peopel that are aware means we have larger communities, more methods on how to do this stuff, more hypotheses on how its done, and more people can share posts like yours about shared dreaming I suppose so we get a better feel for whats normal.

Like I have been saying over and over, I dont mind you talking about your experiences, I dont mind you having a viewpoint that people can share dreams, and I agree with you in saying that people should choose their own viewpoints and be able to make up their own minds. Which brings me to my point, you shouldn't state controversial stuff as fact unless you can link it to decent evidence. I think telling your own story is fine, but something just doesn't sit right with me when you tell newcomers that it is a certainty that shared dreaming is possible, it gives off the wrong impression.

Well said and respectfully too. I agreed that if you state something as "my opinion" or "my experience" that's fine, but if you state something as fact than you have an obligation to back it up with proof. That's reasonable. On the other hand, you can have whatever belief you want without the need to satisfy someone's need for proof. For example, I believe that our consciousness goes on forever, but can not state that as a fact.

I also reject a lot of the mystical/supernatural claims that people make, or just exercise my eye rolling muscles. Don't feel it's necessary to address everyone I see, especially in a personal way. People don't need filters or protection from "bad" information. They can make up their own minds.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2013 07:17

Jack Reacher wrote: I think telling your own story is fine, but something just doesn't sit right with me when you tell newcomers that it is a certainty that shared dreaming is possible, it gives off the wrong impression.

You expect me to treat my shared experiences with others as halluncinations!! That is something I arent going to do as they werent.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2013 07:21

Jack Reacher wrote: I think telling your own story is fine, but something just doesn't sit right with me when you tell newcomers that it is a certainty that shared dreaming is possible, it gives off the wrong impression.

You expect me to treat my shared experiences with others as halluncinations!! That is something I arent going to do as they werent. Cant you see that its insultive that you are expecting me to treat my experiences as hallcinations just cause of what you think.

They are fact so I'll keep presentating them as such. I think we should drop this as I arent going to change what im saying and not going to disbelieve what myself and others have experienced with these things. So discusing it further isnt constructive. You've told me how you feel and that is fine, its your issue and not mine, I accept you feel like that but I arent about to change due to that.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 15 Mar 2013 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 15 Mar 2013 07:22

EDIT: This is a reply to lucidinthesky

What im talking about in association isn't something you can really point your finger at, I just think that when people talk about controlling stuff in a dream or anything to do with dreams really, they will either consciously or subconsciously start grouping you with people in the astral projection/ out of body experience category, the kinda mystic category, which isn't taken very seriously (at least in New Zealand as you pointed out)

The reason why I think they are associated, well this conversation is one indicator lol, but more seriously I believe that astral projection/out of body experiences are simply lucid dreams, I think thet are sort of related. Also, based on simple intuition I have done no fact checking on this but i think people who get into lucid dreaming or find out about it are the same kind of people who could be interested in astral projection and that sort of spiritual stuff, again this conversation is one reason for that intuition. I myself stumbled on this site by googling "What is reality" and finding an article on it on this site, and then found the main lucid dreaming stuff. Anyway all of this doesnt really belong in this topic its just something that came out unintentionally before when tani kept saying for a fact that it was possible to share dreams without providing any non anecdotal evidence.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 15 Mar 2013 07:27

taniaaust1 wrote:

You expect me to treat my shared experiences with others as halluncinations!! That is something I arent going to do as they werent. Cant you see that its insultive that you are expecting me to treat my experiences as hallcinations just cause of what you think.

They are fact so I'll keep presentating them as such. I think we should drop this as I arent going to change what im saying and not going to disbelieve what myself and others have experienced with these things. So discusing it further isnt constructive. You've told me how you feel and that is fine, its your issue and not mine, I accept you feel like that but I arent about to change due to that.

No I dont expect you to treat them as hallucinations, I have said many many many times you can tell your side of the story. No idea where you got that in the quote you just made. Once again I am not trying to convince you otherwise or make you disbelieve yourself. The only problem is that you pass it off as fact, you just can't do that without presenting evidence, its only your word.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 15 Mar 2013 16:11

Jack Reacher wrote:EDIT: This is a reply to lucidinthesky

What im talking about in association isn't something you can really point your finger at, I just think that when people talk about controlling stuff in a dream or anything to do with dreams really, they will either consciously or subconsciously start grouping you with people in the astral projection/ out of body experience category, the kinda mystic category, which isn't taken very seriously (at least in New Zealand as you pointed out)

The reason why I think they are associated, well this conversation is one indicator lol, but more seriously I believe that astral projection/out of body experiences are simply lucid dreams, I think thet are sort of related. Also, based on simple intuition I have done no fact checking on this but i think people who get into lucid dreaming or find out about it are the same kind of people who could be interested in astral projection and that sort of spiritual stuff, again this conversation is one reason for that intuition. I myself stumbled on this site by googling "What is reality" and finding an article on it on this site, and then found the main lucid dreaming stuff. Anyway all of this doesnt really belong in this topic its just something that came out unintentionally before when tani kept saying for a fact that it was possible to share dreams without providing any non anecdotal evidence.

I agree with you on the connection that some people have between lucid dreaming and astral projection/mystical/psychic experiences, but how do you know that those interests didn't come first and lead to an interest in lucid dreaming, rather than the other way around?

Also have to challenge your assertion that someone claiming that mutual dreaming is a fact would turn people away from lucid dreaming. I think the exact opposite is more likely. The problem though is that those people who expected to be able to do it would be very dissapointed when they couldn't and that would be more likely to turn them away.

I do share the same skepicism you have about some these astral projection/mystical experiences people claim to have although I have some mystical experiences myself. I'm open to someone showing me how they can astral project or telling me what the headline on next week's newspaper will be, but so far haven't seen it. I also can't imagine that there is no life in the billion of galaxies that exist in the universe, but so far have seen no signs of alien life myself. But I have an open invitation for them to visit me.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 15 Mar 2013 19:45

Well like I said this conversation shouldnt be in this topic, it just slipped out, like I said. I also said that people looking up mystical stuff might stumble on lucid dreaming, I even gave an example that I myself did something similar so don't know why you are asking me about that...

As for shared dreaming turning away people, I never really said that you draw so many conclusions from what I say and keep misinterpreting me. It was just something that slipped out, basically I drew some lines from shared dreaming to astral/spiritual planes as thats how I figured it was done, and from there I figured any other normal person would have done the same and would have gotten turned away from the topic immediately. Again, it just slipped out.

I agree that those looking up mystical or abstract concepts like astral projection could lead to more lucid dreamers, but those werent the type of people im talking about. I guess the people im talking about are represented by my sample in NZ, so lets just move on ok?

XperienceD

Postby XperienceD » 28 Mar 2013 03:39

Lewisfranklin wrote:Hey guys, I just wanted to share a dream that was quite recent and rather unusual. It involved much lucidity and completely reshaped how I saw lucidity. As this time instead of using it to create and learn, I was using it to defend myself and retaliate attacks from a very dark and powerful man!

You were semi lucid. You didnt have a full control over DC, only some of your actions, its called semi lucidity.

Return to “Share Your Lucid Dreams”