What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

R99

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby R99 » 15 Mar 2013 08:23

Jack Reacher wrote:I think you need to lay off the caps.

wat u mean? i have no idea wat u just said. English isnt my mother tongue.
I see the Truth now.

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 15 Mar 2013 08:33

I meant don't type an entire post in capital letters, it's draining to read. Yes you can talk about love in an abstract sense, basically when two people both trust in each other that the other person loves them back, kinda the opposite of a nash equilibrium.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 15 Mar 2013 09:53

R99 wrote:SPIRITUAL LOVE- THIS KIND OF LOVE HARD TO SEE, COZ IT DONT NEED ANY KIND OF BOUNDARIES OR CONDITIONS, AND IT ALSO CALLED UNCONDITIONAL LOVE. (SIMPLE AS THAT) A MOTHER'S LOVE TOWARDS HER CHILD IS A GREAT EXAMPLE

WEN IT COMES TO "LOVE" TOO MANY VARIATIONS- LOOK AROUND. DONT NEED ANY EXPLANATIONS. JUST ONE EXAMPLE- HE LOVES TO B**G HER. IT DOESNT MEAN HE ACTUALLY LOVES HER. PHYSICAL LOVE CANNOT BE ASSOCIATED BY SPIRITUAL LOVE. WAT U GUYS THINK. IS THIS CLASSIFICATION MAKES SENSE? AM I RIGHT? OR AM JUST GETTING DELUSIONAL?

Spiritual people try to practice "unconditional" love.... there are certainly various kinds of love and some forms can be quite selfish. A spiritual person I'd see as being one who tries to put higher ideals in place eg do not steal from others etc etc etc. eg someone who goes and robs banks due to greed, isnt a spiritual person. Spiritual people watch their acts and attempt to live in the most spiritual way they can do eg do no harm to others, they care about the earth and its people etc.

Someone can hold spiritual love for their partner. I gladly let one of my boyfriends I love deeply go with many well wishes to him when he got close to another girl (he had to go back to his country as the visa stuff stuffed up and once back ended up getting with another who is like myself). That is an example of spiritual love, Im genuinely was happy for him. Im happy if he's happy but we will never loose our connection, we are soul mates something we are both aware of.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 15 Mar 2013 13:47

Jack Reacher wrote:I meant don't type an entire post in capital letters, it's draining to read. Yes you can talk about love in an abstract sense, basically when two people both trust in each other that the other person loves them back, kinda the opposite of a nash equilibrium.

That's "love".

It's different from "Love". <-- This love is a state of being. It's who you are.

But then, I'm sure that didn't make much sense. LOL :)
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Mar 2013 00:01

I think a balance between altruism and egoism yields the best results. I don't agree with "unconditional love" though. It's counterproductive. People need to be taught lessons sometimes for their own good.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 16 Mar 2013 00:43

Summerlander wrote:I think a balance between altruism and egoism yields the best results. I don't agree with "unconditional love" though. It's counterproductive. People need to be taught lessons sometimes for their own good.

Why do you assume that those concepts (love and lessons) are mutually exclusive?
You don't need to be mean in order to teach someone a lesson.
Or join my forums!

Peter

Postby Peter » 16 Mar 2013 02:05

It still seems that all choices are ego driven and will still only benfit the concept of self and that we think there is self. There are lots of interesting theories on the illusion of self and how distorted this view could be. I tend to think that self is an interesting tool but should not be taken to seriously
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 16 Mar 2013 20:56

Ryan wrote:
Summerlander wrote:I think a balance between altruism and egoism yields the best results. I don't agree with "unconditional love" though. It's counterproductive. People need to be taught lessons sometimes for their own good.

Why do you assume that those concepts (love and lessons) are mutually exclusive?
You don't need to be mean in order to teach someone a lesson.

I wouldn't say they are mutually exclusive. And I'm not saying that being mean is the only way to be educational either - although there is truth in the proverbial "be cruel to be kind" and sometimes brutal honesty is the best policy. Sometimes, you need to be firm, assertive, and play the opponent to show someone that their behaviour is unacceptable. Sometimes not showing love, or even severing all contact with sociopaths and keeping your distance is the best lesson you will give them. I'm actually saying it all depends. The world is not as black and white as you think and science has clearly demonstrated that we all see things differently.

You can be loving and teach someone about love as you understand it as long as the recipient is listening, willing to learn, and is inspired by your philosophy. But take someone of a different background, exposed to different life events, exposed to other modes of thinking, and, say, of a genetic make-up responsible for a limbic system that renders the individual extremely apathetic and you can hardly say that he or she will be moved by your loving ideas.

What it boils down to is this: what if the recipient is just not feeling it? You will be forced to admit that, in certain situations, "unconditional love" is not the right solution. It will send certain individuals the wrong message in that, not matter how they behave, they will always be loved by others and therefore there is no reason to stop with the atrocities. Globally, and realistically too, we need something more andragogical than "unconditional love".

That kind of love is naive, delusional, and self-centred even. Its adherents usually have a pharisaic, condescending air about them and expect their self-righteousness to move others like it's the only way to go and as though everyone is the same psychologically. Their world revolves around their idealistic bubble and whoever does not accept it must be wrong or even sick.

If you don't understand what I'm on about here, Ryan, then there is no point in me continuing to explain why this is. Maybe you are not ready to understand, eh? ;)

"Unconditional love" is an insipid concept. It's too wishy-washy. It's like the champion of a race saying to the person who came last: "don't worry, we're all winners, we all tried", which is absolute bull. The person who came first is the only winner. The person who came last didn't win and they should be told this in order to motivate them to try harder.

What's the use in giving people the impression that they don't have to make the effort and still be praised. To pander to their ego? To give them a chance to save face? It seems to discourage them from facing reality, doesn't it? Why encourage people not to change their erroneous ways? Unconditional love spoils people and gives monsters the perfect excuse to remain who they currently are.
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 16 Mar 2013 23:38

It is what it is...

Summerlander wrote:Maybe you are not ready to understand, eh? ;)

I used to think the same way you did... so yes, I understand completely your position.

What can I say... now I think differently. It works better for me... I feel it makes me a better person.
That's not to say it's a better way to think... it's to say that it's a better way to think for me. To each their own...

As I said.. it is what it is.
Or join my forums!

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 17 Mar 2013 00:07

Ryan wrote: What can I say... now I think differently. It works better for me... I feel it makes me a better person.
That's not to say it's a better way to think... it's to say that it's a better way to think for me. To each their own....

The important thing is that it makes your life more fullfilling and meaningful. That's what really matters. I believe that life is eternal and that gives me a lot of happiness.

I would be completely depressed if I believed that once we die, there is nothing. I can't even imagine that. We go into a hole in the ground or get incinerated but that's it, nothing after? I can't imagine believing that. What's the point of even living, life is so short. There's no way I'm going to believe that.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Return to “Off-Topic”