Falling asleep

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Maxwellfire

Falling asleep

Postby Maxwellfire » 17 Mar 2013 03:09

Hello,
I started to try to lucid dream about 2 months ago.
I keep a dream journal, and attempt to use reality checks.
About 3 weeks ago, I started to try the WILD approach.
I meditate for about 10-15 minutes, then try to enter the hypnagogic state.
I start to feel numb, and disjointed, and then consistently I will fall asleep.
Does anyone have any advice for not falling asleep?
Thanks,
Max

taniaaust1

Re: Falling asleep

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Mar 2013 03:12

How long is it before you are falling asleep? Are you doing this just before you go normally to sleep at night? (my answer would depend on those answers).

One thing too which can help is position. I personally find that if I do WILD laying on my back.. Im far less likely to fall into a natural sleep state and hence more likely to have a LD.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 17 Mar 2013 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Maxwellfire

Postby Maxwellfire » 17 Mar 2013 03:14

I'm not sure exactly, but i'm guessing bases on audio I've listened to, about 25 minutes

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Mar 2013 03:15

One of those audios which alter brain wave states??

Maxwellfire

Postby Maxwellfire » 17 Mar 2013 03:18

Tried that, tried hypnosis, tried relaxation music, and tried no audio. Nothing prevents me from just falling asleep right after I feel as if I'm getting somewhere.

Maxwellfire

Postby Maxwellfire » 17 Mar 2013 03:20

To answer you original question, I make sure that I'm always lying on my back, and I seem to fall asleep anyway

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Mar 2013 04:39

Maxwellfire wrote:Tried that, tried hypnosis, tried relaxation music, and tried no audio. Nothing prevents me from just falling asleep right after I feel as if I'm getting somewhere.

Have you tried it then when you are not tired eg during the day? (if you have and still are falling asleep when trying to WILD, I'd say then try a different LD technique.. work more of gaining awareness when you are in a normal dream and becoming lucid then). You'd then need to look at more of what you are doing to became aware in a dream and if there is a better way for you to be doing that.

or another thing you could try .. is setting your alarm so you know that if you do fall asleep completely that you are going to just be waken up in 15-20 mins (time that alarm so you will be woken up 15-20 mins after the time you usualy fall asleep when u try this. Hopefully the awareness of that alarm is going to go off.. will help stop you falling into a completely not conscious state.

Do you remember what you've dreamed when you fall asleep after trying this... do you know what you dreamed right after you feel asleep? Im wondering if you could be managing to LD at all but not remembering the dreams, that can happen too esp if not much waking consciousness is going into the dream. (after way setting the alarm 15-20mins after fallign asleep could help.. try to remember what your brain was doing in that sleep time). It may be that your LDs arent being vivid enough and you arent remembering rather then an issue falling asleep).

Maxwellfire

Postby Maxwellfire » 17 Mar 2013 22:51

I'll try that alarm thing tonight.
I have a feeling though, that I'm not forgetting my dreams,
they just aren't lucid dreams.
I have no memory of what happens right after I fall asleep; I just pass into nothingness.
I have always had a very easy time falling asleep.
I saw somewhere else that someone suggested sitting in a position that isn't very comfortable,
but isn't uncomfortable, so that one wouldn't fall asleep so easily.
I'll keep experimenting.
Thanks.

PS: What do you think is the best other method to try?

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Mar 2013 00:51

Maxwellfire wrote: I saw somewhere else that someone suggested sitting in a position that isn't very comfortable,
but isn't uncomfortable, so that one wouldn't fall asleep so easily.
I'll keep experimenting.
Thanks.

Yeah.. sitting up or slightly sitting up may be the answer to the falling asleep issue. Just keep experimenting. You certainly out out of ideas whicih you can try yet.

Maxwellfire

Postby Maxwellfire » 18 Mar 2013 02:55

Thanks for all your help! :D

Return to “For Beginners”