Frustrated: I still can't LD

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
equesatrum

Frustrated: I still can't LD

Postby equesatrum » 12 Mar 2013 20:17

Dreamers,

I read about lucid dreaming for the first time late last year. I was still in school and wasn't sleeping on a regular schedule so I put off trying to LD until the semester was over.

I've been using the MILD technique. My reality checks are to turn on and off a light - and asking if I'm dreaming with each flip - and to look around and try and think about earlier parts of the day. From what I read a few minutes ago on this site, perhaps I'm not trying for long enough, but I think I'm doing an OK job with really questioning whether or not I'm dreaming.

I've kept a dream journal. I've always had vivid dreams that I could remember. Last May, I started taking melatonin to help with my sleeping problems at the urging of my psychiatrist. I suffer from depression and take 20 mg of citalopram and 300 mg of bupropion (generic wellbutrin) daily. The melatonin has given me even more vivid dreams. I recently started taking 10 mg nightly (as opposed to the 5 mg nightly that I started on).

I recently started taking a B-complex vitamin which has the following relevant quantities: 50 mg of B3, 5 mg of B6, and 12.5 mcg of B12. I know that's not a lot of B6, but I was wary of taking the 100 mg+ tablets for the obvious reasons.

I'm still not lucid dreaming after a couple of months.

Even aside from the dream journal, I have a lot of 'clues' that I'm dreaming: I have recurring dreams about an old house I used to live in. I dream about people I used to know who have died, friends and relatives and such, or even just people I haven't seen in a long time.

I'm really hesitant to try the WILD technique, just thinking about it gives me a small sense of panic. I'd like to try more supplements, though I generally have bad luck with side effects.

I'd really like to be able to LD, especially since I have recurring nightmares that I'd really like to end. I just feel like when I dream there's a big, thick wall between the dream world and regular consciousness, and that I'm just missing something that will help me break through.

My questions for you:
1) Anyone been in the same place and had an eventual breakthrough?
2) Is it possible that my antidepressants are playing a role in my inability to LD?
3) Is it possible that some people just can't LD?

Thanks in advance.

taniaaust1

Re: Frustrated: I still can't LD

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Mar 2013 02:10

Ive no idea how anti-depressants affect LD.

With your reality checking with the light switches.. do you turn light switches on often in your dreams??? if not you are probably mentally programming yourself with the wrong symbol. Try to choose something you often do in your dreams and hopefullly you will then reality check then.

I'm really hesitant to try the WILD technique, just thinking about it gives me a small sense of panic.

Why? have you got some kind of fear around LD? If so.. fear may stop your subconsciousness working with you to help you to have one. Try to deal with any fear you have around doing LD.

I believe EVERYONE can LD.. but there are energetics involved in it too and certain body energy flows make it easier. (that is one thing which can trigger LDs if increased.. by increasing awareness throu energy). On an energetic level depressed people have denser energy fields and more energy blocks so it makes sense they could have more issues trying to LD even if the drugs arent making it harder to gain a good awareness while asleep.

I dont think you've tried enough yet... sounds like you havent experimented much around LD stuff to try to find out what may be the easiest way for you to achieve it. If you are consistantly trying something and it isnt working and have done so for a while.. you need to try another method (as you will otherwise get in a habit of failing to LD with the method you are currently using).

Also may help if this LD stuff is being enjoyable to you.. possibly may help the subconciousness work with you more. Frustration at it may well hinder.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

equesatrum

Postby equesatrum » 20 Mar 2013 06:34

With your reality checking with the light switches.. do you turn light switches on often in your dreams??? if not you are probably mentally programming yourself with the wrong symbol. Try to choose something you often do in your dreams and hopefullly you will then reality check then.

Actually, I don't, so taking your advice I switched to some other checks. Now I'm trying to poke my fingers through my hands and breathe through my pinched nose. Maybe these being more physical will help? I can't really think of anything I do often in my dreams, besides maybe walking.

Why? have you got some kind of fear around LD? If so.. fear may stop your subconsciousness working with you to help you to have one. Try to deal with any fear you have around doing LD.

I might be able to do that eventually, I'm just pretty worried about the 'hallucinations', especially when I read people's personal encounters with the WILD technique. I know you're supposed to remain calm, I'm just not sure I'd be able to do that. In short: I'm chicken.

I'll just keep trying. I added 250mg of choline which I just got yesterday. I may also take the B-complex vitamin along with the choline and see if that helps.

tea

Postby tea » 20 Mar 2013 09:29

equesatrum wrote:Actually, I don't, so taking your advice I switched to some other checks. Now I'm trying to poke my fingers through my hands and breathe through my pinched nose. Maybe these being more physical will help? I can't really think of anything I do often in my dreams, besides maybe walking.

a good way finding out what kind of reality checks are best for you is to go through your dream diary, underline every dream sign (meaning abnormalities) and then divide them into four categories:
- inner awareness
- action
- form
- context

then, by doing that on several dreams you'll be able to work out your personal reality checks.

rebecca offers a free e-course where you can learn more about that http://world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/subscribe.html

hope that helped!
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Mar 2013 09:53

I might be able to do that eventually, I'm just pretty worried about the 'hallucinations', especially when I read people's personal encounters with the WILD technique. I know you're supposed to remain calm, I'm just not sure I'd be able to do that. In short: I'm chicken.

I strongly advise to deal with this fear as otherwise you may not have a LD (or when you do.. it will be a nightmare and you wont wont to do it again). Till you deal with this fear you may just be setting yourself up for failure and reinforcing to yourself that you cant do this (things which will make the chances of you having a LD even less likely so instead of progress, you may be sending yourself backwards one could say).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”