Can you become lucid from a DC telling you that you are?

What have you learned from your dream characters? What do they say, what do they represent, what motivates them, why do they exist?
alissa

Can you become lucid from a DC telling you that you are?

Postby alissa » 23 Feb 2013 22:23

I just thought of this a moment ago- could I MILD that a DC will tell me that I'm lucid? Because they are a figment of your imagination, right, so couldn't you get your subconscious to do that for you? Has anyone ever tried this?
“All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream.” -Edgar Allan Poe

Are you dreaming?

lucidinthe sky

Re: Can you become lucid from a DC telling you that you are?

Postby lucidinthe sky » 23 Feb 2013 22:54

I've had them try to tell me, but don't think I've ever listened. My favorite was this dream of being on an airplane and couldn't find my carry-on bag in the overhead. Kept looking and looking and this guy comes up behind me and taps me on shoulder, "Excuse me, but have you considered that this might be a dream?" My reply was, "No way! It's definitely NOT a dream, and besides, I can tell the difference. Dreams are not this real." And that's the problem, you can't trust your judgment sometimes even if someone tells you.

But I will say this, it is possible to tell yourself before bed that you will know it's a dream and sometimes it works. Saying to yourself things like "the next time I am dreaming I will know that I am dreaming" has worked for me.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 24 Feb 2013 03:12

Well, you would have to outright believe them... or at least have what they say to you cause you to trigger a reality check. So yeah, it's possible...

I find that it's more their actions that alert me to me being non-physical. Like, for example, I had a dream character walk into a store I was shopping in. The character was so outrageous that I knew right away, "Oh ... I'm definitely dreaming." LOL
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Feb 2013 03:15

lucidinthe sky wrote:I've had them try to tell me, but don't think I've ever listened. My favorite was this dream of being on an airplane and couldn't find my carry-on bag in the overhead. Kept looking and looking and this guy comes up behind me and taps me on shoulder, "Excuse me, but have you considered that this might be a dream?" My reply was, "No way! It's definitely NOT a dream, and besides, I can tell the difference.

:lol:
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

R99

Postby R99 » 24 Mar 2013 16:40

alissa wrote:I just thought of this a moment ago- could I MILD that a DC will tell me that I'm lucid? Because they are a figment of your imagination, right, so couldn't you get your subconscious to do that for you? Has anyone ever tried this?

never happened to me. but in one LD a DC made loose my lucidity just by saying this " wat r u looking at? its not a dream." funny guy :lol:
I see the Truth now.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 27 Mar 2013 12:47

Considering one of my Reality Checks is when someone mentions dreaming, or anything like that that may hint I'm in a dream, I'd say it's possible. No way is my subconscious that nice to me, though.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 10 Apr 2013 14:38

This is an interesting question, and in Robert Waggoner's book: Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to your Inner Self, he discusses this a question a bit. It's very possible, just not easy. And one point in the book he discusses a normal dream he had, where tons of people where dancing and singing around him. The scene of a crowd dancing and singing around him was so odd, he became lucid. The most interesting part is though, when he became lucid all the DCs singing and dancing around him cheered! As if to say "congratulations you became lucid!", almost as if the dancing and singing was there just to make him become lucid. But the weirdest part is, after he became lucid, he realized he had this exact same dream before! Only he failed at becoming lucid and never recalled the dream. But it shows they tried to make him lucid twice, the first time unsuccsessful and the second time it worked! I was very interested when I read that. Multiple DCs working to make you lucid multiple times?! Very interesting :)
Also on a personal note, I don't believe all DCs are even created by us, and there are some DCs that are more lucid and powerful then us. They could prboably make us lucid as well, if they chose to! ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 10 Apr 2013 20:13

Rebeca said;
Psychological research into lucid dreaming suggests that dream characters are part of your subconscious psyche. So this method also relies on your subconscious mind to trigger your lucidity, in a most poetic way.

It can be spontaneous, or you can program your subconscious mind before you go to sleep. I often set the intention to lucid dream by meditating before I go to sleep and firmly telling my subconscious "I will lucid dream tonight". If I wake up in the night I will repeat my intention as I fall back to sleep.

This makes it all the more likely that I'll dream about lucid dreaming, and sometimes this recognition comes directly from a dream character. For example, I once dreamed about giving a lecture about lucid dreaming, but this failed to trigger my self-awareness. At the end of the talk, a psychology professor came up to me and said "Let's try some lucid dreaming now." It worked! The dream character triggered my conscious self-awareness into action and I became lucid.

Hope it help. ;)
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

cheetah

Postby cheetah » 11 Apr 2013 15:56

I remember a dream situation where a DC told me i was dreaming, which got me lucid, which awoke me at the same time...
In the first part of the dream i "died" in a car accident. Actually i was racing with another car, way more powerful than mine, and my own car exploded, like a tire.
In the second part of the dream i felt like awaking from the first part. Everything was dark around, the air was foggy and wet. Then i became able to see a circle of people, maybe ten or a douzain, around me. They looked like "mexican indian" shamans (i had been reading Carlos Castaneda for many days before). One of them was looking at me, smiling, and said something like "it was a beautiful experience, yes ? and all the way you couldn't tell you were dreaming".
The scene slowly disappeared as i was still realizing i was actually dreaming, then, very briefly, i got the sensation to be sucked up by the space above my head and i woke up.

1994df

Postby 1994df » 12 Apr 2013 04:11

yes it is possible i have had it happen a few times about 2 or 3 times and 2 of the times i got to be lucid for a few breif seconds so far i have not been good at taking full controll and staying lucid in most ld i do what i think would be cool but its not full control but i know i was in my grandparents front yard and a strange guy said hey your asleep and i said. i am? and relised that i was i got to excited and woke up

Return to “Dream Characters”