Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sterre Duiker

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sterre Duiker » 20 Mar 2013 13:06

This question is not related to Lucid Dreaming but I'm guessing you adults should have experience with this.
For some reason I can't seem to fall asleep for a week now. I barely get 5 hrs of shut-eye per night. My mind is always busy thinking of complicated stuff sub-consciously, and I get a lot of head-aches. I'm physically awake but mentally I'm exhausted. What am i doing wrong?

Sander

Postby Sander » 20 Mar 2013 16:52

Sterre Duiker wrote:This question is not related to Lucid Dreaming but I'm guessing you adults should have experience with this.
For some reason I can't seem to fall asleep for a week now. I barely get 5 hrs of shut-eye per night. My mind is always busy thinking of complicated stuff sub-consciously, and I get a lot of head-aches. I'm physically awake but mentally I'm exhausted. What am i doing wrong?

Obviously, your mind is too jumbled with thoughts... are you having trouble at some point or aspect in your life? Pondering too much about things is sure to cause you a lot of hours awake in your bed, trying to get some sleep. Dust off these thoughts and try to make your mind blank. Otherwise think about fun stuff.. like things you would like to do when you have an LD, recall a past fun experience... stuff like that. You can also try to meditate shortly before you go to bed. This is likely to calm your mind and body and you will fall asleep faster.

One question: do you game before you go to bed? If yes, that could be the problem. Try to stop gaming for at least half an hour before you turn in.
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Sterre Duiker

Postby Sterre Duiker » 20 Mar 2013 17:05

Sander wrote:
Sterre Duiker wrote:This question is not related to Lucid Dreaming but I'm guessing you adults should have experience with this.

Obviously, your mind is too jumbled with thoughts... are you having trouble at some point or aspect in your life? Pondering too much about things is sure to cause you a lot of hours awake in your bed, trying to get some sleep. Dust off these thoughts and try to make your mind blank. Otherwise think about fun stuff.. like things you would like to do when you have an LD, recall a past fun experience... stuff like that. You can also try to meditate shortly before you go to bed. This is likely to calm your mind and body and you will fall asleep faster.

One question: do you game before you go to bed? If yes, that could be the problem. Try to stop gaming for at least half an hour before you turn in.

I've tried making my mind clear but 5 minutes later I'm thinking about complicated things again. I have stopped gaming 30 minutes before sleeping to read. And of course I ponder :P . Maybe I need to learn how to be calm or learn a couple of tricks of sleeping. (No counting sheeps I'm bad at math)

Sander

Postby Sander » 20 Mar 2013 19:42

focusing on your breath is another way to calm your mind...

otherwise, google some relaxation techniques. Stephen Laberge's 'Exploring the world of lucid dreaming' book describes some of these.
Free Your Mind.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Mar 2013 10:45

I've tried making my mind clear but 5 minutes later I'm thinking about complicated things again. I have stopped gaming 30 minutes before sleeping to read. And of course I ponder :P . Maybe I need to learn how to be calm or learn a couple of tricks of sleeping. (No counting sheeps I'm bad at math)

Some people find being on the computer can affect their sleep up to 2 hours before bed. (computers give of a certain kind of light which can affect sleep.. so its not just only about the mental stimulation).

I suggest to not to count sheep :D . I once tried that and found it actually kept me awake even longer. I once counted up to over 1000 sheep (along with also counting 100 sheep backwards) to no avail.. all it did is left me feeling rather frustrated at my situation. (mentally after the sheep counting i just felt even more awake).

Heavy duty thinking can be exhausting.. if you are thinking about new things, having many new experiences etc.. it may just be a stage you are currently going throu with your growth which could end up settling down itself.

Sounds like thou learning how to still your mind (meditate) could be helpful to you.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Mar 2013 10:56

Sander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:
My question, thus, is: how to make my mind take a more critical position while dreaming. I'm doing my RC's mindfully, so i'm pretty sure that's not the problem.

I wish I had a solution for you.. but seeing you are reality checking mindfully IF you are doing it regularly and IF you have a good way of reality checking..then I have no good ideas for you.

The question thou I do need to ask is the reality checks you are doing in RL.. do they have relevence to your dreams? (that is an area in which some do go wrong, doing checks at a time which may not be relevant in their dreams). Tell me more about when you do your reality checks in waking life? and exactly what you are doing with those? and I will see if I can spot any possible issues in your case

Is your reality check tied into your dreams in some way?

Dark wolf

Postby Dark wolf » 25 Mar 2013 11:00

Irrelevant to lucid dreaming i have a question i can't find the answer on the internet... What does it mean when you dream about HELPING dragons and after it, help you??
Life is a gift, Not a right.

Sander

Postby Sander » 25 Mar 2013 20:35

taniaaust1 wrote:I wish I had a solution for you.. but seeing you are reality checking mindfully IF you are doing it regularly and IF you have a good way of reality checking..then I have no good ideas for you.

The question thou I do need to ask is the reality checks you are doing in RL.. do they have relevence to your dreams? (that is an area in which some do go wrong, doing checks at a time which may not be relevant in their dreams). Tell me more about when you do your reality checks in waking life? and exactly what you are doing with those? and I will see if I can spot any possible issues in your case

Is your reality check tied into your dreams in some way?

i have an alarm on my wrist watch to alert me to do RC's... i've noticed that i really don't do enough RC when i don't use the alarm... it's truly frustrating that this is not becoming a habit that doesn't need an alarm to remind me to do it. Maybe that's why it's not working, i don't know...

here's how i do my RC's: i check my watch, i look away and say to myself: "if i'm dreaming, the time will be different" and then i look again. Then i try to will the numbers on the watch to change. If that that doesn't work and look at my hands and try to push 2 fingers through my palm, while saying to myself: "if i'm dreaming, my fingers should pass through my hand". After that i conclude that i'm not dreaming (when all RC's fail) and look around to become aware of my environment.. maybe to spot a dream sign
Free Your Mind.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Mar 2013 06:16

Sander wrote:i have an alarm on my wrist watch to alert me to do RC's... i've noticed that i really don't do enough RC when i don't use the alarm... it's truly frustrating that this is not becoming a habit that doesn't need an alarm to remind me to do it. Maybe that's why it's not working, i don't know...

here's how i do my RC's: i check my watch, i look away and say to myself: "if i'm dreaming, the time will be different" and then i look again. Then i try to will the numbers on the watch to change. If that that doesn't work and look at my hands and try to push 2 fingers through my palm, while saying to myself: "if i'm dreaming, my fingers should pass through my hand". After that i conclude that i'm not dreaming (when all RC's fail) and look around to become aware of my environment.. maybe to spot a dream sign

Is that alarm on a wrist watch connected to your dreams too? Do you know if you wear wrist watch that goes off some times in your dreams too? If you dont wear a wrist watch in your dreams and dont have the alarm of it going off in your dreams.. you will not have that dream sign to trigger off a reality check.

Choose a reality check sign which happens in your dreams already to do reality checks with. I'll give you an example.. in my case i go to the loo a lot in my dreams so if I want to seriously trigger off reality checks, doing a reality check every time I go to a loo would be good seeing I go to the loo in my dreams (its one of my common dream symbols).

Do u understand that if you dont wear a watch in your dreams which goes off.. that the time you do your reality checks you are doing now may not ever work. You need something else which is in your dreams to connect your reality checks too then do your reality check in real life every time you do that thing.

Sander

Postby Sander » 26 Mar 2013 12:21

taniaaust1 wrote:Is that alarm on a wrist watch connected to your dreams too? Do you know if you wear wrist watch that goes off some times in your dreams too? If you dont wear a wrist watch in your dreams and dont have the alarm of it going off in your dreams.. you will not have that dream sign to trigger off a reality check.

Choose a reality check sign which happens in your dreams already to do reality checks with. I'll give you an example.. in my case i go to the loo a lot in my dreams so if I want to seriously trigger off reality checks, doing a reality check every time I go to a loo would be good seeing I go to the loo in my dreams (its one of my common dream symbols).

Do u understand that if you dont wear a watch in your dreams which goes off.. that the time you do your reality checks you are doing now may not ever work. You need something else which is in your dreams to connect your reality checks too then do your reality check in real life every time you do that thing.

no i don't recall ever having seen my watch in my dreams... this is a big problem, as my dreams (as far as i know) never show any noticable resemblance :(
Free Your Mind.

Return to “For Beginners”