My reality checks are starting to not work :/

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
Vonozar

My reality checks are starting to not work :/

Postby Vonozar » 25 Mar 2013 22:32

In the past few lucid dreams I have had, my reality checks have started not working. For example this morning I had one in which I was at my grandma's house and her living room was hanging off the side of the house and the only way to get into it was climbing through the window. This triggered me to question whether or not I was dreaming, and I looked at the grandfather clock I was next to as a reality check. I looked away and looked back 3 times and the time didn't change once. I still wasn't sure so I looked at my hands. At first they appeared normal which hasn't happened to me before, but when I focused a bit more on them and counted each finger and ended up having 6 to a hand. In the lucid dream I had before that I tried looking at a clock about 5 times but it only changed twice. It was enough and I knew without a doubt that I was dreaming, but I'm still wondering why they didn't change every time. I also tried breathing through a plugged nose in that dream which usually works well for me but ended up failing. Any ideas as to why this is? Has it happened to anyone else? Got any ideas on how to make them a bit more reliable again?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Peter

Re: My reality checks are starting to not work :/

Postby Peter » 26 Mar 2013 05:39

comes down to what you expect, if you are testing for reality then whatever you do has a good chance of working, if you are not sure then it most likely wont work. In reality testing the impression is that you are trying to see if some rule of normal life is valid, what I think you are really doing is trying to break an illusion that you state of mind at the time is treating as real. You need very strong intent to break the state of mind at the time of testing.

I was dreaming last night and it was so real and I was getting about something that I normally do and thought that I would RC, I was not going to as it was too cool but did and no change so I kept at it and in time I got the result I wanted and was lucid. It took a big effort and a lot of will power to change my state of mind to break the illusion of reality that I was fooling around in.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Mar 2013 06:55

The tricky thing about this is if one is expecting reality checks to fail, they are likely to, the mind will comply. You need to get back into believing they work ok for you and if one kind of check has failed for you leaving you with doubts, I think you need to do another one (not keep on trying the one which failed wondering if it will work or not).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

XperienceD

Postby XperienceD » 28 Mar 2013 03:48

Vonozar wrote:In the past few lucid dreams I have had, my reality checks have started not working. For example this morning I had one in which I was at my grandma's house and her living room was hanging off the side of the house and the only way to get into it was climbing through the window. This triggered me to question whether or not I was dreaming, and I looked at the grandfather clock I was next to as a reality check. I looked away and looked back 3 times and the time didn't change once. I still wasn't sure so I looked at my hands. At first they appeared normal which hasn't happened to me before, but when I focused a bit more on them and counted each finger and ended up having 6 to a hand. In the lucid dream I had before that I tried looking at a clock about 5 times but it only changed twice. It was enough and I knew without a doubt that I was dreaming, but I'm still wondering why they didn't change every time. I also tried breathing through a plugged nose in that dream which usually works well for me but ended up failing. Any ideas as to why this is? Has it happened to anyone else? Got any ideas on how to make them a bit more reliable again?

Freud's theory of Dreams suggests that dreams' purpose is to protect you from waking. When you become lucid one of your defense mechanisms sends signals to your body and brain to wake up ( thus the dreamscape fading out), so you "cheat" your brain by motion techniques ( which you use to prolongue your dreams such as spinning or rubbing). Try another RCs for example- staring at the dream mirror will usually produce very unusual effects to your face, giving you a cue that you are actually dreaming.

Vonozar

Postby Vonozar » 28 Mar 2013 07:04

I'm not expecting them to fail. I'm expecting them to work fine and get confused when they don't. In all the checks that I did that failed or almost failed, I didn't doubt that they would work. I fully expected the clock to change each time, but it didn't. I still did multiple checks because I knew I was dreaming, but it just...didn't seem concrete I guess? But I don't think expectation is really what's holding me up. :/ I suppose it could be , but I don't think so. XperienceD, I will try staring at my reflection the next time I get the chance. :)

Peter

Postby Peter » 28 Mar 2013 07:27

I still did multiple checks because I knew I was dreaming

If you knew you were dreaming then there is no need for a reality check, just firm up the dreamspace and have fun
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 29 Mar 2013 00:25

Peter wrote:
I still did multiple checks because I knew I was dreaming

If you knew you were dreaming then there is no need for a reality check, just firm up the dreamspace and have fun

Peter made a good post.

If you keep checking when you already know you are dreaming.. its like you are installing doubt on yourself and your own impressions/reality and maybe that doubt in your ability to precieve dream/not dream, then is manifested in your reality check (by making it fail you). Think of the message you are sending to the subconsciousness ("I dont trust the reality im experiencing") when you ignore what you already feel.

Ive noticed quite a few posts here since Ive been here where people know they are dreaming and reality check over and over, still only to have it fail.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

XperienceD

Postby XperienceD » 29 Mar 2013 03:05

Vonozar wrote:I'm not expecting them to fail. I'm expecting them to work fine and get confused when they don't. In all the checks that I did that failed or almost failed, I didn't doubt that they would work. I fully expected the clock to change each time, but it didn't. I still did multiple checks because I knew I was dreaming, but it just...didn't seem concrete I guess? But I don't think expectation is really what's holding me up. :/ I suppose it could be , but I don't think so. XperienceD, I will try staring at my reflection the next time I get the chance. :)

I have read many times about clocks changing numbers and books changing letters. It doesnt have to be like that. Especially clocks. In my LD's they almost never fail to work and they behave normally as in real life.

Staring at the mirror will also produce an inner sensation which is very unique and it will give u another additional cue that you are in fact dreaming.

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 05 Apr 2013 09:59

I already write that in another forum who was asking the same question.

There is an artical in Lucid Dreaming Blog who talk about reality check.
So click on ''LUCID DREAMING BLOG'', it is up the page right side near the ''LOGOUT''.
Then you will see ''Categories'',it is somewhere down in the right side, in the list you will click on
''Lucid Dreaming Techniques (21)'', after, you will see ''How to Perform Reality Checks'', and here you go ;)
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”