how do i meditate?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
Sander

Re: how do i meditate?

Postby Sander » 05 Aug 2012 14:02

i'm not really trying be an expert at meditating,but i read that meditating helps to achieve lucid dreams.. so i'm just trying to learn the basics of meditating
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 05 Aug 2012 16:35

Sander wrote:i'm not really trying be an expert at meditating,but i read that meditating helps to achieve lucid dreams.. so i'm just trying to learn the basics of meditating

There is a connection between meditation and projections, but it's not a direct connection.
You will benefit in many ways from learning meditation though. You might find that through meditation you'll gain a greater control over your own mind... which might cause more spontaneous projections.

But meditate for the sake of learning to meditate, not because it might help you to project. Meditation is a path within itself.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Sander

Postby Sander » 06 Aug 2012 18:20

ok thanks a lot :)
Free Your Mind.

Sander

Postby Sander » 28 Mar 2013 20:21

so i've been reading 'The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep' by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and i got a question for advanced meditators. In the section about calm abiding, the author suggests focusing on an object for numerous short sessions and take short breaks. How long are we talking about here?
Free Your Mind.

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 28 Mar 2013 21:17

Ryan wrote:Do note, however, that for most people (especially westerners) this is something that won't come easy. We're talking MONTHS, if not YEARS of practice before you get good at it.

Why is it harder for westerners? That doesn't make since to me.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Mar 2013 23:32

Sander wrote:so i've been reading 'The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep' by Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche and i got a question for advanced meditators. In the section about calm abiding, the author suggests focusing on an object for numerous short sessions and take short breaks. How long are we talking about here?

meditations of holding a concentrated focus can vary from just 5mins to 20min sessions. If they are talking about numerous short sessions.. its probably something like 5min periods being refered too (thou some do start out with 3mins but I personally think a beginner needs a little longer cause most of that 3 mins may be spent just trying to focus and loose other thoughts).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Mar 2013 23:37

LCDAnthony wrote:
Ryan wrote:Do note, however, that for most people (especially westerners) this is something that won't come easy. We're talking MONTHS, if not YEARS of practice before you get good at it.

Why is it harder for westerners? That doesn't make since to me.

Different cultures do different things eg some cultures may spend time daily or several times a day in "still" prayer.. something most westerners do not do. We all tend to be used to constantly having our minds thinking all over the place and not on focused concentrated thoughts.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Mar 2013 23:39

Ryan wrote:
Sander wrote:i'm not really trying be an expert at meditating,but i read that meditating helps to achieve lucid dreams.. so i'm just trying to learn the basics of meditating

There is a connection between meditation and projections, but it's not a direct connection.
You will benefit in many ways from learning meditation though. You might find that through meditation you'll gain a greater control over your own mind... which might cause more spontaneous projections.

But meditate for the sake of learning to meditate, not because it might help you to project. Meditation is a path within itself.

Learning to meditate can be very important to some of the techniques for OBE. Depends on the technique

Sander

Postby Sander » 29 Mar 2013 10:58

LCDAnthony wrote:Why is it harder for westerners? That doesn't make since to me.

i think it's because we rack disciprine
Free Your Mind.

Ryan

Postby Ryan » 29 Mar 2013 20:35

taniaaust1 wrote:Learning to meditate can be very important to some of the techniques for OBE. Depends on the technique

Actually, I'd go as far as saying every single technique *requires* a knowledge in meditation in order to succeed.

I haven't found one yet that doesn't. That's because, when you break a technique down to it's constituent parts, they all have one thing in common... they all have you focus away from the physical in some way. When I say "focus away from the physical", this can include something like focusing on your breath or a part of your body... it's not that you're focusing on the physical aspect of them, but you're focusing within using that as the "point".
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Return to “For Beginners”