GUN DEBATE!

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Worldenterer1

GUN DEBATE!

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Mar 2013 03:16

Guns guns guns. Here it is folks! The gun debate thread!
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Ryan

Re: GUN DEBATE!

Postby Ryan » 29 Mar 2013 03:32

Oh god... ROFL
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Mar 2013 04:48

Okey Dokey. I think that everybody should be armed and trained. If everybody knew that everyone around them was armed and trained for intense situations, they would be much less likely to commit crimes. Also, who really expects CRIMINALS to follow gun LAWS? Anyone who does is a special kind of stupid. ;)

For example, Switzerland has a rule where anyone who does not have a military grade weapon has extra taxes or some kind of penalty. Switzerland has the lowest rate of violent crimes in the entire world!

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 29 Mar 2013 05:19

Worldenterer1 wrote:For example, Switzerland has a rule where anyone who does not have a military grade weapon has extra taxes or some kind of penalty. Switzerland has the lowest rate of violent crimes in the entire world!

That's a bit misleading. The reason why they are paying more taxes is not because they don't have a weapon, but because they are not doing military service which is required there. And yes, military personel do keep their weapons at home so you could say that those who do not have a military weapon at home are paying more taxes, but the reason is they are not serving.

But in terms of gun related fatalities, Switzerland is one of the highest in Europe. But of course they are nowhere near the U.S. which is one of the easiest places in the world to get a gun (military types too). Australia used to be that way too, but they've gotten much stricter with their gun laws and have significantly reduced their gun fatality rate as a result.

Personally, I believe that people should be allowed ot own a gun but should have required training and people that are mentally ill, criminals, etc. shouln't get them. All guns should be registered and a national database should be kept. Those all sound like common sense measures, but none of these are being done in the U.S.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Mar 2013 03:54

Worldenterer1 wrote:Okey Dokey. I think that everybody should be armed and trained. If everybody knew that everyone around them was armed and trained for intense situations, they would be much less likely to commit crimes.

:o oh so you believe give everyone guns and also that people should stick up for themselves if bullied. Scary lol
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Mar 2013 03:59

Im so glad it is highly illegal to have a gun where I are except if you have a very good reason for having it eg cause you need it in your line of work etc. I think the person who wants a gun is police checked too. All guns here also have to be registered and there is all kinds of safety regulations around them too eg how they have to be stored eg under lock and key etc etc. The regulations around guns couldnt be any stricter here in Australia.

If we ever get evaded here (Australia has vast amounts of non populated coastline).. the Americans and English are going to have to rescue us. The Americans are more comfortable with guns anyway :)

If one had a gun and shot someone who'd broken into and entered ones home here. You'd then be charged with murder (you only have a right to use equal force so couldnt shot someone unless they were about to shoot you). So having a gun would be fairly useless anyway. Only the police could ever get away with shooting someone.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Mar 2013 10:21

Your arguement for guns is sorta like nuclear deterence, its like saying i think everyone should own a nuclear weapon so we dont attack each other. Sounds good on paper but I think just having this stuff accessible is a bad idea.

Having normal people armed wont make a difference, it might just add to the confusion and get more people killed. If everyone is armed then those willing to use arms will use them, those who arent willing or will freeze up wont even use them, its just idiotic.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 30 Mar 2013 16:22

Jack Reacher wrote: Having normal people armed wont make a difference, it might just add to the confusion and get more people killed. If everyone is armed then those willing to use arms will use them, those who arent willing or will freeze up wont even use them, its just idiotic.

I agree wth you. The gun debate in the U.S. is sponsored in large part by the gun industry that of course claims that more guns are always the solution to every gun-related problem. We already have 300 MILLION guns in the U.S. If more guns makes us safer, then we should have one of the lowest death rates from guns. We lose around 40,000 people per year from gun deaths. Every time there is a major shooting here (just about every week) we have to hear this crap about "if only more people were armed, someone could have stopped that". But the fact is there are a lot of armed people and nobody ever stops one of these crazy people. The Newtown shooter killed all of those children in less than 5 minutes using a miltary weapon and high capacity magazines. Anyone trying to stop him would have needed similar fire power, or a lot of luck and speed. It's unlikely that anyone would have stopped this guy. My feeling that more guns makes a slightly safer in a small way, and lot more dangerous in 5 other ways so the net result is more shootings, more deaths.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Mar 2013 21:48

"If only those children were armed" doesn't really sound so swell does it?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 31 Mar 2013 01:19

taniaaust1 wrote::o oh so you believe give everyone guns and also that people should stick up for themselves if bullied. Scary lol

:lol:

Return to “Off-Topic”