Bullying

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
Ryan

Re: Bullying

Postby Ryan » 29 Mar 2013 03:50

Worldenterer, I think I've found your issue...
Worldenterer1 wrote:I'm sorry to hear that tragic story. By saying "buck up" I was referring mainly to school based situations. I am aware that many times, even in school, people are unable to retaliate because of a lack of physical power. However, there are many situations where a headstrong approach would easily act as a solution. As for more serious issues like the one you brought up, I am unsure of a solution.

I'm getting the sense here that YOU have never actually been bullied in your 17 years on this planet?

If you had been... you'd realize how absolutely beyond useless your approach is.

The stories of the child standing up to the bully and the bully backing down... very rarely happen. You're talking about movie-land stuff. If you think this happens on anything even closely resembling a regular basis. It simply doesn't happen like this.

What usually happens then? What happens it that the kid gets the ever loving SHIT kicked out of him not by just the bully, but by the friends of the bully too and then the child is sent home a bloody mess and nothing... repeat... NOTHING of any substance ever happens to the bully... because it's all just "bullying" and "kid games". Because, as you view it, that's how most adults who actually have the power to stop this view it too.

People need to be educated.
For more information, please visit my website
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/
Or join my forums!
http://www.unlimitedboundaries.ca/forums/

mikeg313

Postby mikeg313 » 29 Mar 2013 04:06

Some years later i came across the same bullies that made my life hell in school. Although I had stood up to some, these ones were much taller than myself so I had to give in. Anyway. 5 years later i was much stronger and tougher due to the jobs that I did. So when I saw one of them , I was going to bully him back, but when i approached him he became humble and applogised for his acts. I think the memories haunted him . The others had gone to Cambodia to help with the starvation at the time. I was shocked.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Mar 2013 04:40

lucidinthe sky wrote:I was talking about an fictional accused criminal talking to a fictional judge, not refering to you. Sorry you took it that way.

No sweat man! :D

lucidinthe sky wrote:You are right that it's not possible to prevent bullying, and you really can't be watching everthing. Thta's true, but where I think the focus should be is with what I call the "passive" participants. Bullies can only operate in settings where the people around them do nothing to stop them. If we can get those people who sit passively on the sidelines watching to take action, we can stop bullying.
[/quote]

Makes sense to me! ;)
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 29 Mar 2013 04:46

Ryan wrote:Worldenterer, I think I've found your issue...

Worldenterer1 wrote:I'm sorry to hear that tragic story. By saying "buck up" I was referring mainly to school based situations. I am aware that many times, even in school, people are unable to retaliate because of a lack of physical power. However, there are many situations where a headstrong approach would easily act as a solution. As for more serious issues like the one you brought up, I am unsure of a solution.

Ryan wrote:I'm getting the sense here that YOU have never actually been bullied in your 17 years on this planet?

If you had been... you'd realize how absolutely beyond useless your approach is.

The stories of the child standing up to the bully and the bully backing down... very rarely happen. You're talking about movie-land stuff. If you think this happens on anything even closely resembling a regular basis. It simply doesn't happen like this.

What usually happens then? What happens it that the kid gets the ever loving SHIT kicked out of him not by just the bully, but by the friends of the bully too and then the child is sent home a bloody mess and nothing... repeat... NOTHING of any substance ever happens to the bully... because it's all just "bullying" and "kid games". Because, as you view it, that's how most adults who actually have the power to stop this view it too.

People need to be educated.

Naw, I have been bullied a bit (Kinda long time ago). And shovin' back worked wonders! You do make very good points though. Also, I'd appreciate it if you asked what I think instead of telling me what I think. ;) For some reason, you keep telling me that I don't want to stop bullying (Seen Below).

Ryan wrote:Because, as you view it, that's how most adults who actually have the power to stop this view it too.

WildCat23

Postby WildCat23 » 29 Mar 2013 23:31

taniaaust1 wrote:Often the bully too will be bigger and stronger then the victim they are picking on....

I'm sorry, this just isn't true. I know plenty of people that have been bullied by people smaller then themselves.

As far as I'm aware, the only way to truly prevent bullying is to monitor every second of peoples life. However, this is wrong, and a violation of peoples basic right's.
"I wandered home though the silent streets
And fell into a fitful sleep
Escape to realms beyond the night
Dream can't you show me the light? "
~2112

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Mar 2013 03:04

I used to get picked on because of height a long time ago and unfortunatly for the bullies I had a habit of getting them into my space close to me and then blooding or breaking there noses. It worked a treat and their arrogant attutuide helped a lot to get them close enougth. IMO the only way to deal with bullies at that level.
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 30 Mar 2013 03:36

Worldenterer1 wrote:
Worldenterer1 wrote:Stopping bullying from happening in the first place is so impossibly difficult to do.

Ryan wrote:All it takes is education and the correct tools at the disposal of law enforcement.

Hmm, really? Because that's exactly what the school systems in my town have been doing for years and there's no change at all!

Some schools do "fairly successfully" manage to eradicate bullying. My daughters primary school was quite successful in that and one didnt hear about kids being bullied there. They had a very strong anti-bullying policy in place in which ALL children in the school were strongly encouraged to report any bullying they saw (so it wasnt left up to the victim). My daughter is crippled and also has some attitude issues which can cause other students to dislike her but she still didnt get bullied there.

They also had a buddy system too where children had buddies (buddies were usually from a higher grade) and children could go to their buddies for help in what to do any time too. Any one who bullied.. werent giving pats on the head but properly punished for it (and I guess felt shamed too as their peers would all find out what happened too as I said.. the kids were taught from a young age that bullies were a shameful thing to be..so there was peer pressure there too in that school to not bully).

My daughters second school she attended thou.. same one I'd got bullied at when young..thou they said they had anti bully policies in place (all schools say that).. they werent successful as the stragities they were using werent good. In that school bullies were suspended for a few days or even a week.. and many bullies LIKED suspension, many then were at home alone doing whatever they liked. (far more fun then spending lunch times in detection BY THEMSELVES but only teachers walking past which was how my daughters previous school punished the rare bullies). The first school (successful anti bullying) my daughter went to was a role model for other schools and they even had people from overseas come over to check out how they did things there.

My daughter due to that second school.. ended up leaving school before legal school age (at only 15 years old) due to bullies. (she couldnt physically stick up for herself well as she cant walk well so unfortunately didnt have any option to fight back). I cant remember now what was the last grade finished but cause she also failed a grade at school, leaving school at such a young age means she has been left with a very low education level.. So something which will affect her for life (she's never worked due to her physical disablity but if she'd got a good education she may of been able to get a job).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Peter

Postby Peter » 30 Mar 2013 07:47

i dont know the extent of you daughers disability so hope this does not offend but i left school at 15 and have no formal education at all but am self taught by reading thousands of books and thinking and getting on with it. I do accept that it is harder now but if she can read and write then find something she is passionate about and just keep her busy
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 30 Mar 2013 21:55

In my schools bullying rarely happened, in fact the whole concept seems utterly bizare and primitive to me as I rarely saw it happen. The basic vibe in our school was that if you bullied someone far weaker than you, people just saw right through you. There is just no respect in that, plain and simple. The idea of 5 big kids ganging up on one small one is pathetic to me and everyone else in my school, its just weak shit.
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 31 Mar 2013 01:25

taniaaust1 wrote:Some schools do "fairly successfully" manage to eradicate bullying. My daughters primary school was quite successful in that and one didnt hear about kids being bullied there. They had a very strong anti-bullying policy in place in which ALL children in the school were strongly encouraged to report any bullying they saw (so it wasnt left up to the victim). My daughter is crippled and also has some attitude issues which can cause other students to dislike her but she still didnt get bullied there.

They also had a buddy system too where children had buddies (buddies were usually from a higher grade) and children could go to their buddies for help in what to do any time too. Any one who bullied.. werent giving pats on the head but properly punished for it (and I guess felt shamed too as their peers would all find out what happened too as I said.. the kids were taught from a young age that bullies were a shameful thing to be..so there was peer pressure there too in that school to not bully).

My daughters second school she attended thou.. same one I'd got bullied at when young..thou they said they had anti bully policies in place (all schools say that).. they werent successful as the stragities they were using werent good. In that school bullies were suspended for a few days or even a week.. and many bullies LIKED suspension, many then were at home alone doing whatever they liked. (far more fun then spending lunch times in detection BY THEMSELVES but only teachers walking past which was how my daughters previous school punished the rare bullies). The first school (successful anti bullying) my daughter went to was a role model for other schools and they even had people from overseas come over to check out how they did things there.

My daughter due to that second school.. ended up leaving school before legal school age (at only 15 years old) due to bullies. (she couldnt physically stick up for herself well as she cant walk well so unfortunately didnt have any option to fight back). I cant remember now what was the last grade finished but cause she also failed a grade at school, leaving school at such a young age means she has been left with a very low education level.. So something which will affect her for life (she's never worked due to her physical disablity but if she'd got a good education she may of been able to get a job).

I'm glad to hear that! At least this stuff is working somewhere, because everywhere I've looked it hasn't. :(

Return to “Off-Topic”