Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
taniaaust1

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 21:44

anasky67 wrote:Hi everybody!

I've been trying to have a LD for about a month and a half now. During the day, I do many reality checks and I keep a dream journal. I have tried to do the WILD technique, but after SP, my eyes started to do a really weird thing, like spasming :? I couldn't control it and I got scared, but I was able to stay calm again by counting.

Then, I could only see blue. It wasn't vivid at all, it was like I was just daydreaming. It was blurry...
After that, I felt my feet being sucked into a hole that was on my mattress :lol:
But then I started to feel like I was in an oven and had to stop.

I also tried to to the WBTB and MILD methods, but didn't get any results, except some vivid dreams. :evil:

Please, help!

You need to try not to allow yourself to be put off by the things you experience. Any visuals even blurry ones are good, things just need time to stabilise and clarify. One thing I do when there is blurring, is to look around and see if there is anything in that blur which gets your attention eg any big blurred shapes or a blurred patch you'd like to check out? etc. If so.. I just imagine walking towards them if they are a little way from you.. as one gets closer things clarify.

Next time you feel yourself heating up too uncomfortably.. try to instead imagine yourself being in a fridge. The more you focus on the heat..the hotter and hotter and more uncomfortable you will be.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 21:51

btifuldreamer wrote: On an unrelated topic, how do you reply to someone's question? Like you did with mine Tania. There's my question in a box with your reply under it.

Just reply to their post using the quote right above their post (and if you dont want to quote their whole post, just delete out the parts you dont want).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 22:01

btifuldreamer wrote:I would also like to know (just in case i get into bad habits) if i am doing my reality checks right. I llok around where i am and ask myself if i'm dreaming, then i check to see if everything is normal and in place, then i test all my senses; touch, taste, smell, hear, see and if they all seem normal I put my fingers on my palm to see if it goes through then as a backup i count my fingers and as a backup for my backup i try and breathe through my nose. It all takes me about 20 seconds. Thank you in advance ;)

That's all good except one part I didnt understand
and as a backup for my backup i try and breathe through my nose.

Im confused how you are using that as a reality check? or cant you breath thou your nose at all in real life? (in which case it then could work as a reality check).

You can thou also go one step further and also make sure you are doing reality checks at a certain time (not clock time but connected to a daily regular life event which often happens in your dream to.. make sure it is something which commonly happens spontanously in your dreams). This can then help trigger off you doing a reality check in your dream, at the situation you do the thing you are connecting a reality check too.

eg if you often find you are eatting in your dreams.. you could make sure in real life you are doing a reality check, every time you go to eat. I go to the loo a lot in my dreams (one of "my" common dream symbols) so doing reality checking in real life at that time would help me to trigger a reality check off with that in a dream.

The laying on the side thing you mentioned in your other post to do LD, I myself find Im more likely to LD if Im laying on my back so I dont know how true that laying on side thing is. I know quite of few of us lay on our backs as it isnt our usual sleeping position. The position you do it best in is probably depending on the person but laying slightly different to your normal position can help (as it signals that you are trying to do something different to your normal).
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 03 Apr 2013 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 22:06

Sander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:Sometimes one can get oneself straight back into the dream if you keep laying there with eyes shut and think of being back in the dream scene. Dont suddenly give up just cause you have woken up but spend at least 5 mins trying to get back into it.

Probably good thou for your first that you didnt go back to sleep in case you ended up forgetting it.

thanks, i'll keep that in mind :)

i would just like to say thanks and let you know that i genuinely appreciate the help and tips you are giving me and other aspiring LD'ers. :)

how long have you been an oneironaut for?

I havent heard the term "oneironaunt" before :) . I started doing LDing so long ago that I cant really at all remember when I started. I think I was in my 20s? (Im now in my early 40s). I did thou have a break from it for a long time so havent been doing it right throu all those years but rather on and off depending on my interest at the time. (at times Ive been more interested in OBEs and achieving those then LD and while other times Ive just taken breaks from the whole thing).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 22:18

btifuldreamer wrote:I have another question :D Ooh and by the way, I am really into lucid dreaming and want to learn it so i'll check up on this site and topic regularly and am always open to talk to poeple ! :) Back to the question :arrow: I have read that many beginner lucid dreamers wake up within seconds of becoming lucid in the dream. Unfortunately i haven't been lucky enough to experience a lucid dream so i don't know how long i would last. I want to know if as soo as you get excited in any lucid dream will you wake up? Do even proffesional lucid dreamers wake up at a little bit of excitement or is it something that you will get used to over time and can master so that you can be excited in lucid dreams and not wake up. Any answer will help :D ;)

Yes beginners will often wake themselves up due to their excitment. It is quite possible thou have excitement in a LD and not wake up :D (but as a beginner try not to get too excited in your first experiences).

Professional lucid dreamers lol.. I dont think there are too many of those around but yes those more experienced with LD can wake up at times too.. for the ones more experienced, it all depends on how deep one is in the LD eg If I was having a LD which wasnt deep and I tried to have sex..the sexual excitement would wake me up. I need to be in a quite deep state to manage to stay asleep and do that.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 03 Apr 2013 22:34

ArsiNoe wrote:Thank you very much ;)
Well, I have several challenges and maybe it is my fault. When I become lucid, I don't know what I should try at first. While I am deciding, I usually wake up. In the next LD I'll try your advice with a pocket.

yeah that indecision can be a killer for a LD. I even at times can loose a LD when Im in a very indecisive state and just standing there in a dream doing nothing at all cause Im trying to decide on what I want to do. The most important thing is have a challenge in mind which will really interest you (with a back up challenge in case that one doesnt work or dont feel right at the time).

I suggest to say to yourself each night what your challenge is.. just before you go to sleep. (if you think of the same one each night till you achieve it, it will be easier to remember in your LD state).

btifuldreamer: I am just beginner, but i have had several long LDs. My first LD lasted about 5 minutes ( it is only my suppose) I was really excited but I didn't wake up. My third dream was much longer than the first (maybe 10 minutes) and I was also excited when I realized that I had become lucid but i didn't wake up immediately too. I have had over 15 LDs up to now, but I don't have as long LD as I used to have in my beginnings. I still don't know what a length of LD depends on. However, I am sure I do sth wrong now.
Probably, my answer won't help you. It's just my experience :)

Dream length depends strongly on several factors.. how deep you are in the dream to start with and also on when you would usualy be waking up from that dream cycle anyway. Someone who has some LD experience can often thou keep themselves in the LD longer then their body would of kept themselves in the dream.

If there are lot of things in the dream which are really interesting you and keeping your attention strongly on the dream (rather then on you).. that too can help hold someone in a dream. That can work well for a begginer. (I used to have long dreams at times even as a beginner. when I first was doing LD I was doing it in a deeper state and that really helps to have a longer LD).

I'll use the situation where one has found oneself in a LD and is just standing there doing nothing at all (hence not interacting with the dream environment!!) due to indecision on what to do.. that not interacting with the dream environment..is the opposite thing in which you need to do to keep yourself in a LD (and hence why a dream can be lost at that point).

anyway.. all the factors come into play as far as dream length can go.

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 04 Apr 2013 00:51

Thanks tania :) im in Melbourne for a holidays right now so I dont hav a laptop and wont be able to do the quote thing.WHen I asked about the reality check, I meant I put my fingers through my hands, then as a backup I count my fingers, then as a double backup I put my fingers on my nose and block and see if I can breathe. I can breath through my nose naturally. And you did a quote saying btuiuldreamer wrote: I hav long LD's and 5, (something like that) but I hav never had a lucid dream so you did a quote for the wrong person. Also, with my reality checks I do the SILD method. Whenever I think about sex I do a reality check because for some reason theres always something sexual in my dreams :S

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Sander

Postby Sander » 04 Apr 2013 14:11

taniaaust1 wrote:I havent heard the term "oneironaunt" before :) . I started doing LDing so long ago that I cant really at all remember when I started. I think I was in my 20s? (Im now in my early 40s). I did thou have a break from it for a long time so havent been doing it right throu all those years but rather on and off depending on my interest at the time. (at times Ive been more interested in OBEs and achieving those then LD and while other times Ive just taken breaks from the whole thing).

it's a pretty name for lucid dreamer :P i think the dictionary says something like this: "explorer of the dream world"

so you're a pro.. nice.
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

ArsiNoe

Postby ArsiNoe » 05 Apr 2013 19:15

btifuldreamer wrote:I think you mean FILD not FIND but there MILD - mnemonic induced lucid dream, WILD - wake induced lucid dream and then there's FILD - finger induced lucid dream.....

Yes, I meant FILD :) I tried it last night, but it was really hard. I couldn't keep moving my fingers for longer than several seconds :) I'll be trying it for more times and I hope it'll be better, becouse this method sounds great!

btifuldreamer

Postby btifuldreamer » 06 Apr 2013 01:42

Yeah it is :) ive been trying it for about 4 nights now but every single time I wake up and am talking asleep something interrupts it, like people in thr apartment above me hav a shower or turn on music and wake straight up >:( hopefully there will be no interruptions tonight

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Return to “For Beginners”