What are your religious views?

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.

What are your religious views?

Deeply religious - I follow a strict religious code and trust my life to a higher authority
19%
Somewhat religious - I believe in a higher intelligence watching over us
32%
Agnostic - I'm on the fence; you really can't say either way at this time
25%
Atheist - I don't believe there is a higher intelligence watching over us
25%

Total votes: 118

Jack Reacher

Re: What are your religious views?

Postby Jack Reacher » 04 Apr 2013 05:51

So what exactly do you ven want to discuss then?
"There is theoretical abstraction, and then there is true abstraction."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 04 Apr 2013 06:01

It's a discussion about "religious views". I think that's self-explanatory. Someone who wants to discuss their beliefs about God can do so with others. "I don't have a view" is not a religious view. Of course you can say I don't believe and this is why. I think you've already done that several times by now. And that's fine. We understand your non-view.

You don't have to participate in discussions where you don't have an interest in contributing. Hopefully you are not going to try to tell everyone else how f-ed up they are like Summerlander did. We got REALLY tried of that.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

Peter

Postby Peter » 04 Apr 2013 06:13

Well what were you guys expecting when you stopped summerlander from posting? If you silence our side of the discussion, nothing will happen. Theres no way im going to speak my mind after seeing what happened to him

Thought I had replied to this so it might turn up twice.
For the record it was not "you guys" that stopped summerlander it was me all on my own and as for silencing your side of the discussion I have no time for religion at all so that ones out the door as well.

What I did was warn many times not to target people but to put forward and discuss views and that was abused. There are fore adn against and in between and that is fine but there is no need for posts to get abusive when people wont bend to a point of view and that is where the issue was and why the posts got nasty and why I did what I did

Peter
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 04 Apr 2013 06:19

I know what the topic is about and im happy to contribute, but again I want to know what you want to discuss, otherwise all I can do is put forward random opinions.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 04 Apr 2013 06:28

I'd like to listen to what other people think, maybe people who haven't said anything yet. I'm hoping maybe I can learn something from listening to someone new. Why don't those of us who have shared our views already just do some listening? That might be enlightening.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Apr 2013 11:44

Ive started studying like bible class weekly with the Jehovah Witnesses cause I get bored and lonely at home (it also gives me a kick out of asking things they struggle to answer and watching them trying to come up with an answer. All i can say is if you are preaching a religion, do make sure you know your stuff!). I dont know how long that is going to last as in the past they got banned I think from visiting me but now I moved, I have them at my door again. (I nearly converted 2 of them out of their religion by the things I was saying after I had a spontanous channeling experience while they were there, it was weird.. I knew exactly what to say to them during it to make them start to question their religion).

I think it would be an egotistic thing if God was called Jehovah and cared about his name so much that he expected everyone to call him by it.. eg they say "Jehovah' God.. God is always refered to by his name. I put that to them last time they were here but I couldnt get them to understand how it could be an ego thing.

The poor lady doing most of the preaching to me.. she's from china and was strugglng with her words. I really queried her after I got her to explain their 4 types of angels (her just mentioning angels wasnt enough.. I want everything deep) and what each type does and she she replied one of the types. I forgot which now "protected God".. I was what?? why would the all powerful God need protection? She ended up having to change all her wording.

Anyway.. Im having fun with my bible classes lol.. **wonder how long they will be able to put up with me**

I did find out something interesting from them thou .. in the bible it actually says earth is round.. and that was well before this fact was known by humanity.

I love learning about different religions. They've asked me to bring my bibles out next time. They are going to be shocked when I dump a heap of different types of bibles in front of them :lol: (from the mormons to king james and whatever else I have there.. and then they will be confused further when I show them I have Jesus on my wall... yet dont believe in the bible at all).

I shouldnt use religious people for my own fun but they did set themselves up for that due to intruding on my space by knocking at my door. Is it just me who thinks it is rude to knock on someones house door with the intent of converting a person?
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Jack Reacher

Postby Jack Reacher » 05 Apr 2013 03:30

Aristotle also claimed the Earth was spherical I think, but I think he did on the grounds that a sphere was a perfect shape and had nothing to do with observation. I find it fascinating that physics relates so well to geometry.

As for the whole summerlander business I think I must have missed those abusive posts, and sorry for saying others were responsible for him getting banned or whatever his status is now.

Worldenterer1

Postby Worldenterer1 » 08 Apr 2013 02:54

I miss Summerlander. :lol:
Lucid Dream Count: 10
Normal Dream Count: 100+
Goal for next LD: Think with portals.

mia

Postby mia » 08 Apr 2013 04:50

Well, none of the categories quite fit for me. I guess I strongly lean away from religion ( too many rules; too much dictation telling me what I'm allowed to experience, feel, think... I do not mean to discredit anyone's religions, but the historical facts are a matter of record, and I am referring to institutions, not individuals). I am very interested in belief systems that explore the nature of 'being' and consciousness ( Hinduism; Buddhism, Shamanism, Sufism...). I believe I have the right to discover for myself; and that my own experience is how I can find understanding. Life itself is strange and amazing. What is this experience we call life? Remove the watchers from the gates. We are free to explore it.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Apr 2013 05:06

mia wrote:I believe I have the right to discover for myself; and that my own experience is how I can find understanding. Life itself is strange and amazing. What is this experience we call life? Remove the watchers from the gates. We are free to explore it.

This is the problem I have with religion too. Religions tend to surpress free thinking and exploration. They say "this is how it is period." There is no room for discussion. Critical thinking doesn't just apply to scientific exploration, but also to spiritual exploration. For example, if a religion tells me that it's O.K. to kill someone, I can use my own judgement and say "no I think that's wrong." I don't need religious institutions or it's leaders to tell me what to believe and what is right and wrong. I consider myself a theist because I believe in a higher power, but I can completely do without religion.

Return to “Off-Topic”