failed reality check.

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
hatterwest

failed reality check.

Postby hatterwest » 04 Apr 2013 22:10

I was having a dream last night. The world was ending by flood. I wasnt with my boyfriend and all i wanted to do was tell him i loved him before we all died. I couldnt call him, or even find his number in my phone, this made me think i was dreaming so i did a reality check, i tried poking my finger through the palm of my hand. It didnt work. I tried it again, numerous times. I failed everytime. So within my dream i had to face the fact that i would die and never see him again. The dream continued and i eventually woke up to realise it wasnt real.

Why didnt my reality check work? This dream has left me feeling really sad today.. I dont want to feel like this again.. What can i do to make my reality checks work?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Highlander

Re: failed reality check.

Postby Highlander » 04 Apr 2013 22:32

I believe that not all reality checks work for everyone. You have to try other stuff.
For example, one of the most reality checks used is to count how many fingers you have in your hands. I once counted my left hand and it was normal, with 5 fingers. My right hand had 7. But in another dream, my hands were normal. I then counted the fingers of my feet and there were 15 (!!).
In my dreams i use to do a lot of reality checks. Fingers of the hands, feet, jumping, etc.
Try to do other stuff besides poking your finger when this does not work.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 04 Apr 2013 23:38

I strongly suggest to do not do the same reality check more then twice in a row in the same dream.. as if its failed once or twice in a row, it is then more then likely its then going to keep failing.

Its best to do a mix of different reality checks as Highlander said. So think more about how you are going to reality check.

its a pity you didnt manage to wake up from such a horrid dream.. your waking consciousness must of been in the dream to even think of doing the reality check so I guess that dream would of been very aweful.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

hatterwest

Postby hatterwest » 05 Apr 2013 01:24

It was my first time trying it. It was the first thing that came to my mind and i guess i just freaked out a bit. It wasnt nice!!! Having 15 fingers would be much better!!!

When i woke up i was surprised that i thought to do a reality check. I still dont fully understand but i must be learning! Next time i will try some others :)

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 05 Apr 2013 09:39

There is an artical in Lucid Dreaming Blog who talk about reality check.
So click on ''LUCID DREAMING BLOG'', it is up the page right side near the ''LOGOUT''.
Then you will see ''Categories'',it is somewhere down in the right side, in the list you will click on
''Lucid Dreaming Techniques (21)'', after, you will see ''How to Perform Reality Checks'', and here you go. ;)
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

Return to “For Beginners”