Can You Spend Years in a Lucid Dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
neverlandjulia

Re: Can You Spend Years in a Lucid Dream?

Postby neverlandjulia » 07 Apr 2013 15:52

hm, yeah but I ment, for example on some other night? not right back after the dream?

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 08 Apr 2013 12:37

neverlandjulia wrote:hm, yeah but I ment, for example on some other night? not right back after the dream?

Probably yes. If you remember a dream very vividly and with all details (characters, places, time, context, feelings), you are more likely be able to get back into it. By attempting WILD and starting to visualize the dream scene at the right moment and as you've dreamed it before and imagine what was happening or what were you doing in it, you can initiate the dream from your memory and pop into it. So it is essentially possible with enough dedication.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 08 Apr 2013 23:11

dreamworld777 wrote:I don't think that time in dreams is the same as time in reality....there is really no 'time' in dreams.Time is a physical thing of the physical world.Man created time....just as lights and most electronic devices cannot work properly in dreams,I believe that time cannot either.If you ever become lucid in a dream and ask a dream character what time it is,they can almost never tell you the correct answer...and most times will have no idea what you're talking about.We may dream that we are somewhere for days but when we wake up,we only actually slept through the night.I think there's no concept of time in dreams.I once asked a dream character the time and he said,"It's 7R." I then asked him the date and he rambled off some words that made no sense unable to name any actual month that we go by...I had planned to do this when I became lucid in a dream and it was actually pretty amazing to see that it worked and they were completely confused regarding our physical concept of time.
Hope this helped ;)

Very interesting, I have noted the same thing about time from several dreams and spoken with DC about time related things. My DCs have seemed to be trying hard to understand me, listening and actually responding, but unable to undersatnd the concept. There was one where I was desparate to find out what year I was in and the DC just didn't have any concept of time, although he understood history and seemed to understand that there is past, present and future and events have an order in which they occur, that made sense to him. I found a check book which had months and days, but the years were blank.

As far as real time that has expired in dreams vs. what the dreamer thought. There has been research done by Steven LaBerge in this area and he has concluded that for the most part, the actual time expired in reality and what the dreamer thought are about the same.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 09 Apr 2013 14:11

lucidinthe sky wrote:As far as real time that has expired in dreams vs. what the dreamer thought. There has been research done by Steven LaBerge in this area and he has concluded that for the most part, the actual time expired in reality and what the dreamer thought are about the same.

Can you add on this idea? I don't really understand it.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 09 Apr 2013 16:16

In the film Inception, Cobb say that 5 minute is one hours in a dream. I dont know if it is real :roll: :?:
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

lucidinthe sky

Postby lucidinthe sky » 09 Apr 2013 17:27

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:
lucidinthe sky wrote:As far as real time that has expired in dreams vs. what the dreamer thought. There has been research done by Steven LaBerge in this area and he has concluded that for the most part, the actual time expired in reality and what the dreamer thought are about the same.

Can you add on this idea? I don't really understand it.

I can't remember the exact experiments he did, it's in one of his books I read, but he had volunteers that he tested and measured their brain waves while they slept and dreamed and would ask them how long they thought theie dream was. He compared the answered to what he had measured and most of time they were pretty close. We do have kind of an internal clock.
Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to wake from that dream? How would you know the difference between the dream world and the real world? Morpheus

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 09 Apr 2013 17:56

I actually have a very good answer for this, and it came from our good friend Stephen Laberge! I read it in in his book "Exploring the world of Lucid Dreaming", and what he said was basicly there is no such thing as "dream time", he performed an experiment to test this too, so its correct. Dreams follow "real time" just as waking physical life does. But think about this, when you watch a movie, it is only two or so hours long, and yet you just watched months worth of time go by. You suspend your disbelief to believe that months of time can be in a 2 hour movie, just like months of time can be in a 2 hour dream. It all comes down to us, and how we perceive time.
Also id like to note, that essentially time does not even exist. Its a man made idea that we are domesticated into believeing at birth. When a child is born, he has no sense of time at all. But we domesticate time, so as he grows up he believes in it and follows it, but if no one had domesticated the conecept of "time" on all of us. It wouldnt even exist. Its just an invention to help us.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 09 Apr 2013 18:00

lucidinthe sky wrote:
dreamworld777 wrote:I don't think that time in dreams is the same as time in reality....there is really no 'time' in dreams.Time is a physical thing of the physical world.Man created time....just as lights and most electronic devices cannot work properly in dreams,I believe that time cannot either.If you ever become lucid in a dream and ask a dream character what time it is,they can almost never tell you the correct answer...and most times will have no idea what you're talking about.We may dream that we are somewhere for days but when we wake up,we only actually slept through the night.I think there's no concept of time in dreams.I once asked a dream character the time and he said,"It's 7R." I then asked him the date and he rambled off some words that made no sense unable to name any actual month that we go by...I had planned to do this when I became lucid in a dream and it was actually pretty amazing to see that it worked and they were completely confused regarding our physical concept of time.
Hope this helped ;)

Very interesting, I have noted the same thing about time from several dreams and spoken with DC about time related things. My DCs have seemed to be trying hard to understand me, listening and actually responding, but unable to undersatnd the concept. There was one where I was desparate to find out what year I was in and the DC just didn't have any concept of time, although he understood history and seemed to understand that there is past, present and future and events have an order in which they occur, that made sense to him. I found a check book which had months and days, but the years were blank.

As far as real time that has expired in dreams vs. what the dreamer thought. There has been research done by Steven LaBerge in this area and he has concluded that for the most part, the actual time expired in reality and what the dreamer thought are about the same.

I didnt read this post when I posted it, but I explained this concept more in depth in the post above this. But I believe the reason your DCs have no concept of time, is because time does not exist. Does a newborn baby have a concept of time? No we created the entire concept of time just as a tool to help us. It really dosnt even exist, except for the fact that we as a society make it exist.

torakrubik

Postby torakrubik » 09 Apr 2013 21:19

I would perhaps argue that time is not entirely invented. It is relative certainly, and man has quantified it (seconds, months etc) but it is still clear that time exists; otherwise everything would just happen all at once.
Dreaming is my drug

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 09 Apr 2013 22:07

torakrubik wrote:I would perhaps argue that time is not entirely invented. It is relative certainly, and man has quantified it (seconds, months etc) but it is still clear that time exists; otherwise everything would just happen all at once.

I see what you are saying, and I suppose you are correct and I should of worded it better. We perceive time incorrectly I believe. So it exists, but the form we see it in is incorrect. In my opinion:)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”