Conscious Mind In Dreams & Recall

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
sdallen

Conscious Mind In Dreams & Recall

Postby sdallen » 09 Apr 2013 05:41

Hello,

I have a question regarding dream recall of lucid dreams versus non lucid dreams:

I know the importance of journaling to improve recall and am very diligent in doing this but a question has been lingering, especially where fully lucid dreams are concerned.

It is often stated that a lucid dream may occur but not remembered upon awakening if recall skills have not been sufficiently honed through journaling, meditation, mindfulness, etc.

My question is this:

If one is truly lucid and FULLY aware in the dreamscape, i.e. the conscious mind is fully engaged, then there should be no disconnect of memory upon awakening as the dreamer is not trying to recall a dream using the subconscious/conscious memory bridge but has the memory stored in the conscious mind. When a fully lucid dream occurs these details will be imprinted on the conscious memory and there should be no problem recalling the details.

In practice I often have a little difficulty recalling the finer details of non lucid and partially lucid dreams but when fully lucid there is no doubt at all as to the events while lucid and would find it very difficult to not remember the dream.

I only bring this up due to the common statement that a fully lucid dream might actually be forgotten as though it never happened, the same way a normal non lucid dream might be.

Je-Je

Re: Conscious Mind In Dreams & Recall

Postby Je-Je » 09 Apr 2013 06:52

Its a very difficul question. You must ask to a scientify in brain, if sub n concsious memory can connect when we are fully conscious in our dream.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 09 Apr 2013 09:04

I personally do find LDs MUCH EASIER to remember then non lucids as you said, due to the conscious mind being present.

That being said it is possible to forget about a LD just like some may get up during the night and walk to the loo and go and then walk back to bed and forget they got up during the night.. or just like you may of forgotten what you ate for dinner last night. I know Ive woken up in the middle of the night and had a real life chat to my boyfriend but then next morning had forgotten what we chatted about. Thou awake and conscious.. I was still sleepy so forgot.

I guess it all depends on how bad your memory is too. In real life I myself have memory issues so struggle in real life with my memory.. so it wouldnt surprise me if I had a LD and forgot it esp if it hadnt been an exciting one. I have forgotten many of my past LDs thou did remember them at the time.

Also lucid dreams can happen with various levels of waking consciousness in them.. and it is possible for the lucidity to be varying.. hence why working on dream recall can be helpful too. I also when Im LD want to remember MORE DETAILS then I often do in real life eg "exactly how something is said" in what words are used rather then "what" is said, so I can dream analyse it properly later (thou Im also usuallly analysing the dream some too with my waking consciousness while its actually happening).

But yeah I agree.. most LDs would probably be well remembered except in the parts where a person may be less lucid (but then I guess we may not even know if we had forgot one). Many here are having lucid dreams without 100% waking conscious awareness present (eg they know they are dreaming but their waking minds arent functioning fully normally) and hence they can esp have parts of the dream even thou they were lucid, in which they may not remember well.

If you are remembering lots of dreams per night and remembering them all in detail.. there probably isnt a need to keep journaling as long as LDs are happening too.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

sdallen

Postby sdallen » 10 Apr 2013 01:00

Thank you for the replies!

I agree with you that journalling helps a great deal with recall and is especially useful for analyzing patterns and trends to say nothing of dream sign frequency. I know what you mean when you talk about forgetting waking events that often don't imprint strongly, often due to being distracted or just that they may not be all that memorable.

I have found that Mnemonic Pegging helps a great deal in recalling finer details of lucid dreams, this also helps when awake to recall long lists of items or concepts as well. Of course Pegging only works when you are fully aware that you are dreaming and make the conscious decision, in the dream, to build a list of important things you want to remember when you awake.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2013 04:41

sdallen wrote:Thank you for the replies!

I agree with you that journalling helps a great deal with recall and is especially useful for analyzing patterns and trends to say nothing of dream sign frequency. I know what you mean when you talk about forgetting waking events that often don't imprint strongly, often due to being distracted or just that they may not be all that memorable.

I have found that Mnemonic Pegging helps a great deal in recalling finer details of lucid dreams, this also helps when awake to recall long lists of items or concepts as well. Of course Pegging only works when you are fully aware that you are dreaming and make the conscious decision, in the dream, to build a list of important things you want to remember when you awake.

Ive used singing as a memory aid to help me remember the little details of things in a LD eg when finding out what was in my dream pocket and ending up with quite a few things I was trying to remember.. I then decided to put the items I found to the song the 12 days of christmas. eg On the fourth day of xmas my true love sent to me 2 white pegs, 4 red pencils, 4 white pencils, 2 lead pencils and a fake leg certificate... lol . With singing the song with continuing the dream.. stops one from forgetting the details.

Ive found the singing about ones dream is also good to help keep one in it.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”