Can You Spend Years in a Lucid Dream?

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
taniaaust1

Re: Can You Spend Years in a Lucid Dream?

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2013 04:49

There has been research done by Steven LaBerge in this area and he has concluded that for the most part, the actual time expired in reality and what the dreamer thought are about the same.

I must be odd as its not like that for me.

In my dreams I often have "no sense of time at all" or experience more time passing by then in real life eg end up thiking Ive been away from physical awareness longer then I have. eg I can have what I think is a 5-10min LD and think Ive been asleep at least that long but then wake myself up and find that only 2-3 mins at the most have passed in real life.

Also If I think of my physical body.. I can get no good awareness of how long its been asleep for or what time it is (that is unless Ive gone into a LD throu a WILD in which I didnt loose awareness at all on dream entry but my dream time is still running different to my real life time).

When im doing astral projection thou.. if Im in the normal earth astral, I can then make a very good correct guess of how much real life time has passed. I have real time awareness then.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 10 Apr 2013 14:08

taniaaust1 wrote:
There has been research done by Steven LaBerge in this area and he has concluded that for the most part, the actual time expired in reality and what the dreamer thought are about the same.

In my dreams I often have "no sense of time at all" or experience more time passing by then in real life eg end up thiking Ive been away from physical awareness longer then I have. eg I can have what I think is a 5-10min LD and think Ive been asleep at least that long but then wake myself up and find that only 2-3 mins at the most have passed in real life.

Also If I think of my physical body.. I can get no good awareness of how long its been asleep for or what time it is (that is unless Ive gone into a LD throu a WILD in which I didnt loose awareness at all on dream entry but my dream time is still running different to my real life time).

When im doing astral projection thou.. if Im in the normal earth astral, I can then make a very good correct guess of how much real life time has passed. I have real time awareness then.

The way Stephen Laberge explains it is, although our dreams follow "real time", we suspend our disbelief to believe that a few minutes could be hours. It's the exact same thing we do when we go to watch a movie, we watch movie for two hours, but we suspend our disbelief to believe weeks or even months or even years went by in that 2 hours of a movie. So dreams apparently, follow "real time" for everybody we just don't perceive it as real time because we suspend our disbelief. I read this explanation out of one of his books, and I think it makes alot sense. And personally, the whole idea of "real time" is funny, because I believe time isn't linear like we perceive it to be. What we perceive as time is just a creation of man, a tool.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

mia

Postby mia » 10 Apr 2013 15:11

LucidLink. Your astral travelling; was it a result, or natural offshoot, of your lucid dreaming? Just curious.

(I have to say, I am so glad there is the ability to connect on the internet; back in the day, when I was doing LD as a teenager, and young adult, I was all on my own. A subject that I learned not to venture into in conversations. It's so great to be able to talk to more experienced and advanced lucid dreamers.)
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 10 Apr 2013 16:34

mia wrote:LucidLink. Your astral travelling; was it a result, or natural offshoot, of your lucid dreaming? Just curious.

(I have to say, I am so glad there is the ability to connect on the internet; back in the day, when I was doing LD as a teenager, and young adult, I was all on my own. A subject that I learned not to venture into in conversations. It's so great to be able to talk to more experienced and advanced lucid dreamers.)

That's an interesting question, and to be honest I am not quite sure how to answer it. I have always been not too sure on the exact differences between astral projection and lucid dreaming. I have come to understand that they are simpily the same thing, except personally I see one major difference, and that's how when "astral projecting" you could say, fly to your friend and see the real him sleeping on his bed. As opposed to when in a lucid dream, if you fly to your friend, you will most likely not find the real him sleeping in his bed. So in that respect, I have never astral projected. I have never been able to "leave my body", see it under me, and then fly to my friend and see the real him sleeping on his bed. However I do lucid dream every night...and on some nights I will begin to vibrate very intensely, (the first time of happened me, I thought I was going to die. It looked like a spark was circleing towereds me, and it felt like a train was coming at me, it got more and more intense, and I knew if I stayed like I was eventually it would "hit me", and I feared that involved me dieing so I woke myself up!) but every time it happened after that, I learned I was having an "OBE", and when that happens, I simpily roll out my body right into my room. (It even usually hurts at first) but I stand up and I'm in a lucid dream and it's great. From my room I can go anywhere in my house, like to a mirror and jump inside it! Or I go outside and start an adventure :) but I still never consider myself having actually astral projected. And I hope i didn't veer too off topic, this derserves to be a topic all it's on own that I should start! :)

mia

Postby mia » 10 Apr 2013 23:41

It would certainly make an interesting topic on it's own. How long did it take you to begin being lucid every night?( I think I read where you said you don't do daily 'techniques anymore?)
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 11 Apr 2013 01:31

mia wrote:It would certainly make an interesting topic on it's own. How long did it take you to begin being lucid every night?( I think I read where you said you don't do daily 'techniques anymore?)

When I first began to actively seek lucid dreams, it only took a couple of days and I never did any techniques. But I believe it was so easy for me because I also lucid dreamed as kid naturally with no knowledge of lucid dreaming or techniques.

mia

Postby mia » 11 Apr 2013 02:09

You seem so proficient now LucidLink. I also lucid dreamed naturally for a long time; then lost it with a busy life; and recently returned to it ( actively since March 30th); since then 2 LDs; hope I can soon match you!
Any way; I know this is now off the original topic, so my apologies to others.

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 11 Apr 2013 03:07

mia wrote:You seem so proficient now LucidLink. I also lucid dreamed naturally for a long time; then lost it with a busy life; and recently returned to it ( actively since March 30th); since then 2 LDs; hope I can soon match you!
Any way; I know this is now off the original topic, so my apologies to others.

My apologies as well, but on one last note I think it helps that I am young still. I am 19 and I have always had a very active imagination since childhood.

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 14 Apr 2013 12:52

taniaaust1 wrote:

I guess it's different from dreamer to dreamer. The question here for me is: can we change the feeling of time while we are dreaming? Like for example, shout "I want to change the relativity of one real life second equaling one dream second, to one real life second equaling one dream hour?" Will that change the perception or feeling of time in the dream?
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 14 Apr 2013 13:47

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:

I guess it's different from dreamer to dreamer. The question here for me is: can we change the feeling of time while we are dreaming? Like for example, shout "I want to change the relativity of one real life second equaling one dream second, to one real life second equaling one dream hour?" Will that change the perception or feeling of time in the dream?

I have never tried it, however I have no doubt in my mind it will work, this is because Stephen Lebarge actually proved ALL dreams follow "real time" no matter who is the dreamer. The difference is the dreamer's perception. We perceive years or months in a dream because we are very good at suspending our disbelief. We do the exact same thing when watching a movie, the movie is only 2 hours and yet we can perceive days, months, or years happening in the movie because we suspend our disbelief to enjoy the movie.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”