Beginner Questions Welcome!

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby taniaaust1 » 10 Apr 2013 04:11

Sander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:yes.. with experience one can end up staying in LDs for a long time. I used to have that ability to stay as long as I liked. Even beginners sometimes have a long LD (it all can depend on how deep ones state is when one is LD).

as long as you liked? i thought that was impossible since the duration of your LD depends on the REM phases during sleep?



Ive no idea about REM as Ive never paid any attention to all that. I assume you just need to be asleep and then if you are.. your waking mind can stay present while you are.. as long as you have waking mind there and are physically sleep.. you can LD.

I say that as I find I can LD at any time Im asleep (by this I mean I can LD just on going to sleep, just after waking up or even right in the middle of my sleep etc). One thou may have to work at times to keep onself in the dream if the body is wanting to wake up (its hard to explain the feeling one gets when the body wants to wake up but there is a feeling there even if deep in LD still). The closest to waking one is.. the harder it becomes to stay in the dream and the more one needs to work at doing so. You can force yourself to a degree into staying asleep by keeping yourself in the state you are in..

I went throu a stage where I used to be lucid ALL night.. from the time I went to sleep till the time I woke up. Its a state some yogis reach thou in it I wasnt dreaming all the time but was still asleep like a waking observer (not necessarily immerged in a dream but as a separate waking observer watching my thought flow) ...but that was weird as I could be aware in my sleep all night too and not necessarily dream.. that waking observer sleep state changed how things were..

I wish Id timed my past very long LDs to know just how long a single LD could last for but I used to stop the LDs by my own choice after a long time in them.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
btifuldreamer
Posts: 205
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 01:36
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby btifuldreamer » 10 Apr 2013 08:28

Ahh k thank you arisnoe :) I havnt really tried the one where you picture the dream you just had. I think I tried once but I wasnt really fully focused on it. Ill try it tonight. But I thought you can never have the same dream twice? Thats exactly how I thought you would do the FILD thanks :D hopefully I hav my first LD tonight ! And I am coming home from Melbourne so tonight I will be at home and in my normal bed :P

[ Post made via Android ] Image

FOGHoly
Posts: 9
Joined: 11 Apr 2013 00:05

Out-of-Body Experience OR Reality?

Postby FOGHoly » 11 Apr 2013 00:19

I need some help trying to decide whether I was close to an out-of-body experience or not. I was practicing the WILD technique one night and set my alarm for about 5 hours after I went to sleep. After turning off the alarm, I went back to sleep and had a normal, fuzzy dream. After this dream, I woke up in my bed, or I think I did. My eyes were barely open and I was unable to move my body very well. My brain totally accepted it to be reality. After shutting my eyes, I had another non-lucid dream, and then woke up the same way. I wasn't able to move and I could barely make out the details of my room. All I could tell was that my window was half open, my red alarm clock was on, and my room was almost pitch black. My brain still accepted this to be myself waking up. I shut my eyes ONCE AGAIN and had a very brief non-lucid dream. After this one, I woke up, with my vision being much more vivid now, and my brain was now telling me that I was dreaming the whole time. From what I experienced throughout the night, I think that I experienced the beginnings of out-of-body experiences during those two times I "woke up" at night. The thing was, I couldn't tell, so I just went back to sleep to my non-lucid dream. Did I just miss out on some pretty awesome OBEs or was I waking up in reality the whole time? Thanks for your answer!
"You expect what you dream. You dream what you expect."
-FOG Holy

User avatar
Sander
Posts: 155
Joined: 15 Jul 2012 10:21
Location: Belgium

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sander » 11 Apr 2013 09:10

Je-Je wrote:Hello Sander. You are form which part of Belgium; the french or deutch???????

Oost-Vlaanderen, Deinze... waar men Vlaams spreekt en geen Duits :P
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

User avatar
Sander
Posts: 155
Joined: 15 Jul 2012 10:21
Location: Belgium

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sander » 11 Apr 2013 09:15

taniaaust1 wrote:
Sander wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:yes.. with experience one can end up staying in LDs for a long time. I used to have that ability to stay as long as I liked. Even beginners sometimes have a long LD (it all can depend on how deep ones state is when one is LD).

as long as you liked? i thought that was impossible since the duration of your LD depends on the REM phases during sleep?



Ive no idea about REM as Ive never paid any attention to all that. I assume you just need to be asleep and then if you are.. your waking mind can stay present while you are.. as long as you have waking mind there and are physically sleep.. you can LD.

I say that as I find I can LD at any time Im asleep (by this I mean I can LD just on going to sleep, just after waking up or even right in the middle of my sleep etc). One thou may have to work at times to keep onself in the dream if the body is wanting to wake up (its hard to explain the feeling one gets when the body wants to wake up but there is a feeling there even if deep in LD still). The closest to waking one is.. the harder it becomes to stay in the dream and the more one needs to work at doing so. You can force yourself to a degree into staying asleep by keeping yourself in the state you are in..

I went throu a stage where I used to be lucid ALL night.. from the time I went to sleep till the time I woke up. Its a state some yogis reach thou in it I wasnt dreaming all the time but was still asleep like a waking observer (not necessarily immerged in a dream but as a separate waking observer watching my thought flow) ...but that was weird as I could be aware in my sleep all night too and not necessarily dream.. that waking observer sleep state changed how things were..

I wish Id timed my past very long LDs to know just how long a single LD could last for but I used to stop the LDs by my own choice after a long time in them.

if that's the case, then i believe you've progressed far beyond just lucid dreaming... as you can only dream during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phases during sleep. REM phases are the times during sleep in which you actually dream, so lucid dreaming when not in a REM phase is impossible. I've read, though, that through meditation, it is possible to maintain your awareness during sleep at any time. This is something different than lucid dreaming i think.
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Out-of-Body Experience OR Reality?

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Apr 2013 09:26

FOGHoly wrote:I need some help trying to decide whether I was close to an out-of-body experience or not. I was practicing the WILD technique one night and set my alarm for about 5 hours after I went to sleep. After turning off the alarm, I went back to sleep and had a normal, fuzzy dream. After this dream, I woke up in my bed, or I think I did. My eyes were barely open and I was unable to move my body very well. My brain totally accepted it to be reality. After shutting my eyes, I had another non-lucid dream, and then woke up the same way. I wasn't able to move and I could barely make out the details of my room. All I could tell was that my window was half open, my red alarm clock was on, and my room was almost pitch black. My brain still accepted this to be myself waking up. I shut my eyes ONCE AGAIN and had a very brief non-lucid dream. After this one, I woke up, with my vision being much more vivid now, and my brain was now telling me that I was dreaming the whole time. From what I experienced throughout the night, I think that I experienced the beginnings of out-of-body experiences during those two times I "woke up" at night. The thing was, I couldn't tell, so I just went back to sleep to my non-lucid dream. Did I just miss out on some pretty awesome OBEs or was I waking up in reality the whole time? Thanks for your answer!


May of been false awakenings. (they werent OBEs)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby taniaaust1 » 11 Apr 2013 09:39

Sander wrote: if that's the case, then i believe you've progressed far beyond just lucid dreaming... as you can only dream during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phases during sleep. REM phases are the times during sleep in which you actually dream, so lucid dreaming when not in a REM phase is impossible. I've read, though, that through meditation, it is possible to maintain your awareness during sleep at any time. This is something different than lucid dreaming i think.


Yes.. my experience of all night consciousness without breaks was different to LD.

I can at times have awake images (like seeing images inside my own head, is not visualisation Im doing thou). I did that at will this morning. I woke up and as I couldnt remember any dream last night thou I spent 10 mins trying to remember anything, I was very disappointed as I like to work out my dream symbolics. So I decided I wanted to see "some symbolism" as I wanted something (anything) to appear to deciper a meaning of (last night I was reading what Denise Lynn said about these..something I used to get happening in the past spontanously but I didnt know the name for these..she calls it "dream gazing" and said in her book that one can do this at will). So this morning I tried this and just willed "something" (i had no idea what or what it would be, I just wanted something to appear) and then something did appear and I saw it inside my head, it was a huge redback spider in a web.

I was able to actually study this, the image held strong (that surprised me as I thought it would just disappear if I choose to study it being something inside my mind). The redback spider was different to the normal redback spiders as instead of the red being a filled in patch of red.. he had the patch of red forming on "O". So yeah I dont think I need to be in REM at all to have images happening inside my head or even doing LD, I dont even have to be semi asleep to have inside my head images appearing from my subconsciousness.

Does anyone else here do dream gazing? (now that I finally know the name for it ..thanks Denise Lynn.. I can ask). Im not good at it yet.. Ive never practiced it as its just happened in the past. This mornings dream gazing experience may be the first time Ive willed myself to get it (and I had an image there then almost right away. I think I knew I was in a mentally relaxed state to do this). Im excited..this is something now that I know I can trigger this, I can work on.

Denise Lynn says that Richard Bach used this process when writing his book "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

Apparently you can use this day dreaming technique to willfully get whole dreams happening when physically awake,.. you will it to happen and then just let your own subconsciousness form the dream.

If anyone is interested in what I'd been reading it was the book called "The hidden Power of Dreams" by Denise Lynn. (2 page chapter on Dream Gazing).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
btifuldreamer
Posts: 205
Joined: 31 Mar 2013 01:36
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby btifuldreamer » 11 Apr 2013 10:52

I just realized something :shock: When doing th MILD technique, i just pictured the dream i just had and what was strange about it, but i didn't try and make the picture as vivd as possible. I just read something on another site where someone pictured a place they're familiar with and tried to recall and see every detail in his head, and not loong later he went into his dream. Is this what you do do for MILD?

User avatar
Sander
Posts: 155
Joined: 15 Jul 2012 10:21
Location: Belgium

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby Sander » 11 Apr 2013 21:34

taniaaust1 wrote:
Sander wrote: if that's the case, then i believe you've progressed far beyond just lucid dreaming... as you can only dream during REM (Rapid Eye Movement) phases during sleep. REM phases are the times during sleep in which you actually dream, so lucid dreaming when not in a REM phase is impossible. I've read, though, that through meditation, it is possible to maintain your awareness during sleep at any time. This is something different than lucid dreaming i think.


Yes.. my experience of all night consciousness without breaks was different to LD.

I can at times have awake images (like seeing images inside my own head, is not visualisation Im doing thou). I did that at will this morning. I woke up and as I couldnt remember any dream last night thou I spent 10 mins trying to remember anything, I was very disappointed as I like to work out my dream symbolics. So I decided I wanted to see "some symbolism" as I wanted something (anything) to appear to deciper a meaning of (last night I was reading what Denise Lynn said about these..something I used to get happening in the past spontanously but I didnt know the name for these..she calls it "dream gazing" and said in her book that one can do this at will). So this morning I tried this and just willed "something" (i had no idea what or what it would be, I just wanted something to appear) and then something did appear and I saw it inside my head, it was a huge redback spider in a web.

I was able to actually study this, the image held strong (that surprised me as I thought it would just disappear if I choose to study it being something inside my mind). The redback spider was different to the normal redback spiders as instead of the red being a filled in patch of red.. he had the patch of red forming on "O". So yeah I dont think I need to be in REM at all to have images happening inside my head or even doing LD, I dont even have to be semi asleep to have inside my head images appearing from my subconsciousness.

Does anyone else here do dream gazing? (now that I finally know the name for it ..thanks Denise Lynn.. I can ask). Im not good at it yet.. Ive never practiced it as its just happened in the past. This mornings dream gazing experience may be the first time Ive willed myself to get it (and I had an image there then almost right away. I think I knew I was in a mentally relaxed state to do this). Im excited..this is something now that I know I can trigger this, I can work on.

Denise Lynn says that Richard Bach used this process when writing his book "Jonathan Livingston Seagull".

Apparently you can use this day dreaming technique to willfully get whole dreams happening when physically awake,.. you will it to happen and then just let your own subconsciousness form the dream.

If anyone is interested in what I'd been reading it was the book called "The hidden Power of Dreams" by Denise Lynn. (2 page chapter on Dream Gazing).

you sure this dream gazing isn't simply daydreaming with some wishful thinking..?
Free Your Mind.

First LD: 30/08/2012 :mrgreen:

User avatar
~Dreamer~
Posts: 5
Joined: 02 Apr 2013 03:33

Re: Beginner Questions Welcome!

Postby ~Dreamer~ » 12 Apr 2013 03:05

What is the fastest way to have a lucid dream? I know it normally takes time but is there some secret short-cut to having a quick lucid dream? :?:
"If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple, we couldn't!"


Return to “For Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests