Remembering Hypnagogic Imagery NON-Lucidly....

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Remembering Hypnagogic Imagery NON-Lucidly....

Postby HAGART » 12 Apr 2013 04:15

This is more of a non-lucid dream discussion, but it's not a 'share your non-lucid dreams' either so I'll post it here. It ties in to lucid dreaming (or just dreams in general) because it has to do with Hypnagogic Imagery.

Whenever I write in my dream journal about my non-lucid dreams, I tend to start out by saying, "I forget how it started, but....."

But lately I have noticed that a lot of my dreams start with me viewing a television program, watching a movie, or playing a video game as the earliest thing I can remember before I look elsewhere and the 'dream story' starts from there. It is my hunch that those were the result of hypnagogic imagery that became a movie/game for a short period before the start of the dream.

I wonder if others record such things in their dream journals and can't remember what happened before that. I think I may actually be remembering the very beginning of the dreams when I recall this and that is why I can't remember anything before it and why it starts out that way.

I know it is NOT Hypnagogic Imagery exactly, but am just saying there is a connection.....
I don't really have a question except, do you ever start a dream by viewing things play out on a 'screen'?

I've heard plenty of accounts of lucid dreams starting that way, but to anybody who has a non-lucid dream that starts this way.... I wonder if we are remembering the very beginning of the dream? (And that is why beginnings of dreams are so hard to remember!)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

DeltaV
Posts: 122
Joined: 26 Mar 2012 18:40

Re: Remembering Hypnagogic Imagery NON-Lucidly....

Postby DeltaV » 12 Apr 2013 07:04

Sadly, no. I think that's an excellent dream sign, though. Reality check!
I do have many dreams that are related to or based on video games, I can easily trace designs and mechanics back to the original game. It's pretty difficult to learn to RC to video games while playing them, though. I am way too distracted to do that :lol:
You have bought a ticket for a train of thought heading for your wildest dreams. Choose your destination, and enjoy the ride!

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Remembering Hypnagogic Imagery NON-Lucidly....

Postby taniaaust1 » 13 Apr 2013 02:55

HAGART wrote:This is more of a non-lucid dream discussion, but it's not a 'share your non-lucid dreams' either so I'll post it here. It ties in to lucid dreaming (or just dreams in general) because it has to do with Hypnagogic Imagery.

Whenever I write in my dream journal about my non-lucid dreams, I tend to start out by saying, "I forget how it started, but....."

But lately I have noticed that a lot of my dreams start with me viewing a television program, watching a movie, or playing a video game as the earliest thing I can remember before I look elsewhere and the 'dream story' starts from there. It is my hunch that those were the result of hypnagogic imagery that became a movie/game for a short period before the start of the dream.

I wonder if others record such things in their dream journals


No I dont record that in my dream journal as I dont tend to get that happening.. I do thou record shifts (dream jumps) between my non lucids.

I tend to just randomly jump into a dream eg it will start from any place of a sequence of events thou sometimes some of those event I just know in my dream occurred but I didnt act them out in the dream (eg I'll had a history my non lucid dream me knows of and may play out a dream in accordan ce to that non happened dream history which I believe in the dream). Or I will just spontanously go from one dream to a different dream which is like a sudden jump (I cant remember right now but there may of been a instant of black between the two dreams unless Im confusing that part from my LDs switchovers).

in one non lucid dream session, I can have up to 3 completely different dreams in the same dream round (its probably more so but Ive only remembered 3 in one dream) which just jump from one dream to another. (im not refering to how many dreams during a night but what Im calling a "dream round" is probably related to one session of REM of the many REM sessions during a night).

I dont know but I may be different to most as I dont tend to get hypnagogic imagery even when I do LDs.

I don't really have a question except, do you ever start a dream by viewing things play out on a 'screen'?


Nope never for a non lucid (except one of my LDs may of started out like that before I went lucid).

HAGGART.. do you remember how the non lucid dreams change from dream to dream during one REM session or havent you been able to remember that yet?
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 14 Apr 2013 03:53, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
HAGART
Posts: 3179
Joined: 05 Jan 2012 21:09
Location: CANADA

Re: Remembering Hypnagogic Imagery NON-Lucidly....

Postby HAGART » 13 Apr 2013 20:02

I get dreams where I am watching a movie or playing a video game rather frequently and have noticed that they tend to start at the beginning of a dream. It not 1st person perspective and I feel disassociated from it before becoming the main character in a 'dream story'. Just recently in a dream I was in a restaurant and then focused on a television on the wall, and the next thing I remembered, I was in a car just after passively watching scenery out the window. I bet that was the link between the two dreams in the same round as you put it. Completely different scene and scenario and set of problems, but the same dream round.

To restate the transition more clearly: I was in a restaurant as 1st person, then I focused on the t.v., after a little time and memory lapse, the images became a scene as if watching buildings go by out the window, I starting talking to others in the car without looking at them, and then actually changed my focus from the window to the occupants of the car and the new dream started from there as me being 1st person again.

And I actually became quite concerned because I didn't know who was driving or where they were taking us. I wanted to go back to the buffet because I wasn't done eating yet! I thought somebody had taken control of my reality and was controlling things beyond my will. I actually announced to everybody in the car that we have been hijacked! (and actually remembered you when you said you want to try hijacking a dream character). I was 1% away from being lucid, but I never actually figured it out!


taniaaust1 wrote:HAGGART.. do you remember how the non lucid dreams change from dream to dream during one REM session or havent you been able to remember that yet?


So to answer that, most of the time no, and when I do there is a lapse in memory. And often I write in my dream journal, "I'm not sure but I think these are connected. When I left the house in the previous dream it probably became this one." Or of course the example above. But I can't say with 100% accuracy and I like to be honest with myself.
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Remembering Hypnagogic Imagery NON-Lucidly....

Postby taniaaust1 » 14 Apr 2013 04:04

HAGART wrote: To restate the transition more clearly: I was in a restaurant as 1st person, then I focused on the t.v., after a little time and memory lapse, the images became a scene as if watching buildings go by out the window, I starting talking to others in the car without looking at them, and then actually changed my focus from the window to the occupants of the car and the new dream started from there as me being 1st person again.


Ive found your comments interesting as you arent noticing things like how I get them, thou of cause I can also have one scene go to another scene due to where my focus was on in the first scene eg say if I was focused on a tv or a painting in my dream.. I then could end up in a scene with things I'd seen on the TV

What I was refering to thou was a complete jump from one dream to another without a break and nothing in the first dream helping at all to lead into a second one.

And I actually became quite concerned because I didn't know who was driving or where they were taking us. I wanted to go back to the buffet because I wasn't done eating yet! I thought somebody had taken control of my reality and was controlling things beyond my will. I actually announced to everybody in the car that we have been hijacked! (and actually remembered you when you said you want to try hijacking a dream character). I was 1% away from being lucid, but I never actually figured it out!


haha funny how my online comment affected things and freaked you out in the dream.

taniaaust1 wrote: So to answer that, most of the time no, and when I do there is a lapse in memory. And often I write in my dream journal, "I'm not sure but I think these are connected. When I left the house in the previous dream it probably became this one." Or of course the example above. But I can't say with 100% accuracy and I like to be honest with myself.


Some times in dreams I will actually see the object shift form in front of me thou if nonlucid I dont really view it as unusual but in the same dream. eg I was giving birth to babies and then my dream shifted and rather then being babies they were kittens I'd just birthed. People in my scenes too often change to different people in my non lucids.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself


Return to “General Lucid Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest