Comments on my meditation sessions...

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Comments on my meditation sessions...

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 15 Apr 2013 18:18

I need some help on a certain thing with my meditation. So basically, I meditate on a daily basis for 15-30 minutes using brainwave entertainment tracks. I sit in the regular, cross-legged position, and start focusing on my breath. For the first 2 minutes or so, I feel sufficiently relaxed, but then, my legs, and more importantly, my neck starts to get tired, and then hurt. I begin losing the ability to focus and just wake up. After several days, I decided I should avoid getting my legs and neck tired by laying down normally, with my spine up-straight and my head against a pillow. With that change, I was able to see results with my legs staying relaxed, but I still suffer from my neck feeling like it's going to snap from all the 'tension' that I don't even know the reason behind. This significantly demolishes my meditation sessions, and I really need help on how to maintain relaxation on my neck to head point. Any possible tips?
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

LucidLink

Re: Comments on my meditation sessions...

Postby LucidLink » 15 Apr 2013 19:43

I recommend you find a good chair, with a good back. Then put a pillow between you and that back. Then sit on the chair against the pillow, and just slightly let your head bend down for comfort. I mediate this same way for a half hour every day. It's the best in regards to beginners and comfort.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PrototypeTEGTA
Location: In an alternative universe where 'peace' and 'unity' actually make sense.

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 16 Apr 2013 12:46

I will try this today. Thanks for the input.
"Saying 'I have 100$' is like saying 'I have 100 inches'. Inches of what? Ropes? Books? iPads? Money can be a means and a tool to get what you want. But remember, in a camping experience, money is only good for kindling and wiping your butt."

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 16 Apr 2013 12:53

Sounds like you dont have the right pillow if your neck also hurts when you are laying down. I find when Im meditating on my back (or doing anything on my back) I need something supporting my neck under that curvy part of my neck for comfort or it gets uncomfortable for me. (sometimes I'll roll up an article of clothing and put that under my neck to offer more support to it).

Or... you could try to tighten and then let go of your neck muscles several times to try to release the tension (like one does with progressive body relaxation but just focus on your neck and shoulders.. in case its radiated tension).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

PrototypeTEGTA

Postby PrototypeTEGTA » 16 Apr 2013 12:59

Thanks again. I'll try this too.

oliverclay

Postby oliverclay » 17 Apr 2013 07:10

15 to 20 minutes is really a long time how you tackle it.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 17 Apr 2013 08:59

oliverclay wrote:15 to 20 minutes is really a long time how you tackle it.

That isnt at all long. A 20 min meditation is a short one (thou a lot of good things can be achieved from those short ones over time. 20 min meditations are fairly standard).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

TaTa

Postby TaTa » 20 Apr 2013 16:48

oliverclay wrote:15 to 20 minutes is really a long time how you tackle it.

Its not long. But long is not necessary good. 10 Minutes a day , or two times a day is a good way to start. If you do it every day you will find yourself wanting more ;).

PrototypeTEGTA wrote:I need some help on a certain thing with my meditation. So basically, I meditate on a daily basis for 15-30 minutes using brainwave entertainment tracks. I sit in the regular, cross-legged position, and start focusing on my breath. For the first 2 minutes or so, I feel sufficiently relaxed, but then, my legs, and more importantly, my neck starts to get tired, and then hurt. I begin losing the ability to focus and just wake up. After several days, I decided I should avoid getting my legs and neck tired by laying down normally, with my spine up-straight and my head against a pillow. With that change, I was able to see results with my legs staying relaxed, but I still suffer from my neck feeling like it's going to snap from all the 'tension' that I don't even know the reason behind. This significantly demolishes my meditation sessions, and I really need help on how to maintain relaxation on my neck to head point. Any possible tips?

I dont know about brainwave entertainment tracks, but coming from a meditation tradition i would suggest to just use normal meditations objects (breath, mantra, body..etc). I dont want to be close minded, so if you could explain the purpose of brainwave entertainment tracks it would be nice. In regards of posture try a pillow or cushion that makes your knees "sink" on the floor, so you get a 3 point stability (butt and two knees). Also some yoga exercises would be nice. Maybe when you start meditating you could dedicated the first couple of minutes to relaxing your boding, setting your mindfulness to the body sensations of solidity and relaxing in each out breath.

mia

Postby mia » 08 May 2013 04:36

I think it's supposed to be called 'brainwave entrainment' ( vs 'entertainment'); it's 'beats' of sound that have neurological effects on brain wave patterns; meant to 'entrain' brain waves into the desired deep relaxation that is normally reached through traditional meditation methods (there is supportive research behind it).
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

TaTa

Postby TaTa » 08 May 2013 05:11

mia wrote:I think it's supposed to be called 'brainwave entrainment' ( vs 'entertainment'); it's 'beats' of sound that have neurological effects on brain wave patterns; meant to 'entrain' brain waves into the desired deep relaxation that is normally reached through traditional meditation methods (there is supportive research behind it).

Thanks. Sounds interesting. My comment on not using this kind of stuff its because one will not always have this kind of help and should learn (if interested) to meditate in every situation, other than that any help for lucid dreaming is always welcome =). Sounds good for relaxing but remember that a meditative state is relaxation+ attention +stability so there has to be an awareness of the relaxation and concentration and not just dullness! This is one problem that i have found in yoga classes "meditation" that they call meditation just relaxing and people tend to fall a sleep which is good but not much meditation there. Try to keep it the middle way =)

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”