Closing Dream Eyes, causing problems

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
lawilahd

Closing Dream Eyes, causing problems

Postby lawilahd » 26 Aug 2011 02:15

Lately, every lucid dream I've had ends when I close my eyes in the dream and then reopen them to find myself waking up in my bed. This happened just this morning after a successful WILD attempt. The dream went on for what seemed 10-15 minutes and I was fully lucid from the start. The dream showed no signs of losing vividness or anything, but I randomly closed my eyes which I had reminded myself not to do in the beginning of the LD, and when I opened them I was lying in my bed. I did a reality check and it wasn't a false awakening. Anyone know why this happens and what can be done to prevent it??

worldenterer

Re: Closing Dream Eyes, causing problems

Postby worldenterer » 26 Aug 2011 23:16

Mabey you should try spinning around? :|
It needs to be about 20% cooler.

lawilahd

Postby lawilahd » 27 Aug 2011 01:35

Actually, in that WILD I just had, I did spin around and I did rub my palms as well, It was my most vivid lucid dream to date but it all ended when I closed and reopened my eyes. When I come to think about it, I think that it is all in my head because i read somewhere online that closing your eyes in a dream makes you wake up, and I guess my subconcious beleived it, so now I am trying to convince myself that it is possible to do so without waking up, as others have done it.

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 27 Aug 2011 01:48

The solution is not to close your eyes in a lucid dream. 8-)

Sorry I know that's not particularly helpful but it's absolutely true for me. If I close my eyes, I lose awareness of the lucid dream (even momentarily) and my real eyes open up.

Sometimes, if I don't move in bed, I can just close my (real) eyes and re-enter the lucid dream. You have to be quick though and maintain your dream awareness as much as possible.

I have occasionally closed my eyes and not woken up - for example when teleporting to a new dream scene. But I have the next scene firmly in my imagination and I close/open my eyes SLOWWWWLY.

Spinning usually wakes me up :roll: Probably because my eyes are closed or my vision is blurred and I lose the awareness. But many people swear by it so I have always passed that one on...

lawilahd

Postby lawilahd » 27 Aug 2011 08:06

Yea, I've noticed that sometimes things that work for one person won't work for another, for example you said spinning wakes me up, however I spun around in the very beginning of the WILD and it went on for quite a while. I have heard from other LD'ers that they are able to close their eyes without waking up, so its quite annoying for me and I would like to be able to do so without waking up. Thanks for the help though

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”