Why are my hands always just like my real hands in lucid dre

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
LucidLink

Why are my hands always just like my real hands in lucid dre

Postby LucidLink » 17 Apr 2013 16:21

Hi everybody, so I noticed a topic on "what our hands look like in lucid dreams", and it seems like everyone and their brother sees their hands as different or strange.

And yet, I have always looked at my hands to stabilize the dream, but every time I have ever looked at my hands, they are exactly as my hands in real life.

I know this for sure, because I often study my hands and marvel how well i see the texture of my skin and how realistic they are, but that's just it, my hands are completely realistic. They always have been.

So my question is, why are my hands always normal and every body else's are always not normal?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

SarahDank

Re: Why are my hands always just like my real hands in lucid

Postby SarahDank » 18 Apr 2013 06:36

I'm in the same boat as you. My hands look the same in Lucid dreams as they do in real life.
So i can't use them as a reality check.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Apr 2013 13:10

Your hands are probably normal in your LD as that is how you are expecting them to be. Also when using looking at hands for stabilization.. one isnt "expecting" that they may change as that isnt the reason you are looking at them for. (mine dont always change if Im just using them for stabilization thou sometimes they still do).

but if you look at them thinking Iis this a dream?" and keeping your mind open to it being so and EXPECTING them to change if it is.. that is far more likely to make them go weird.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Je-Je

Postby Je-Je » 18 Apr 2013 13:18

yeah me too my hand are normal in LD.
I discovered Lucid Dream by watching the film Inception(2012)
Lucid Dream Count: 31+
Normal Dream Count: +∞
Objective: Make 30 Lucid-Dreams this year(2016).

LucidLink

Postby LucidLink » 18 Apr 2013 15:01

taniaaust1 wrote:Your hands are probably normal in your LD as that is how you are expecting them to be. Also when using looking at hands for stabilization.. one isnt "expecting" that they may change as that isnt the reason you are looking at them for. (mine dont always change if Im just using them for stabilization thou sometimes they still do).

but if you look at them thinking Iis this a dream?" and keeping your mind open to it being so and EXPECTING them to change if it is.. that is far more likely to make them go weird.

I agree, but what makes some naturally see their hands change and some not?
Because, i am sure many who first look at their hands in lucid dreams expect to see their hands normal, but to their surprise they look all crazy and wrong. That's how I interpreted it anyway, from people talking about their hands looking all crazy.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Apr 2013 02:19

LucidLink wrote:
taniaaust1 wrote:Your hands are probably normal in your LD as that is how you are expecting them to be. Also when using looking at hands for stabilization.. one isnt "expecting" that they may change as that isnt the reason you are looking at them for. (mine dont always change if Im just using them for stabilization thou sometimes they still do).

I agree, but what makes some naturally see their hands change and some not?
Because, i am sure many who first look at their hands in lucid dreams expect to see their hands normal, but to their surprise they look all crazy and wrong. That's how I interpreted it anyway, from people talking about their hands looking all crazy.

I personally think that "most" people who go as far as to "study" their hands in a LD are doing so as they have heard they can go weird. Why otherwise even study your hands? (if just glancing at them and not studying them.. as I said they often then do appear normal). I think its due to what people have read or heard happening which is causing them to really study the hands in the first place.

Highlander

Postby Highlander » 20 Apr 2013 19:14

Next time, try to look at your feet and see if they're normal too. Mine was even crazier than my hands. 15 fingers on each foot.

DreamyDazzler

Postby DreamyDazzler » 20 Apr 2013 22:47

I honestly don't believe the hands thing is a strong factor to be watching out for. forget that and concentrate on the things around your bed. tables, tvs.. walls etc.. check these things when you are awake then when you are in dream world these things will react or look differently and that will be your queue to realise things aren't normal ( and then you will be fully aware things aren't what they seem = can't be reality so it must be a dream)

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Apr 2013 05:15

Highlander wrote:Next time, try to look at your feet and see if they're normal too. Mine was even crazier than my hands. 15 fingers on each foot.

LOL. <-- that term is used a lot, but I truly did 'laugh out loud'. I can just imagine. :lol:

Most of the time my hands are odd, but sometimes they look normal and I need to keep looking, and doing other reality checks, knowing that it is probably a dream despite what my reality checks are telling me. (I usually know already, but just need to check). But sometimes (usually from a False Awakening) it is so real things are all checking out fine and I need to know for sure before I go and do something stupid or embarrassing.

But why is it common to have odd hands for most and not you? Perhaps it is because my hands tend to be a secondary or last resort and is not my primary reality check. Moving objects telepathically tends to be my first go-to RC. (It fails too at times). Or maybe because you know so many of your hands' finer details, so your memory of them is the same in the dream as waking life. (That sounds counter-intuitive though because wouldn't it make sense that you should be able to spot the slightest anomaly that way? But if your memory is good enough they will look completely real and fool you. It's a catch-22. Just my thoughts....)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 Apr 2013 00:15

DreamyDazzler wrote:I honestly don't believe the hands thing is a strong factor to be watching out for. forget that and concentrate on the things around your bed. tables, tvs.. walls etc.. check these things when you are awake then when you are in dream world these things will react or look differently and that will be your queue to realise things aren't normal ( and then you will be fully aware things aren't what they seem = can't be reality so it must be a dream)

I find if I have a false awakening.. everything in my bedroom is EXACTLY the same as in real life.

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”