Vibrations, Ringing and Paralysis

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
gymy

Vibrations, Ringing and Paralysis

Postby gymy » 26 Feb 2013 17:35

Hello!

I'm 27, and have been a lucid dreamer for about as long as I can remember in my life. I never understood what was happening until well into my late teens, I just knew "when I realize I'm dreaming, it's the best."

I also have suffered from sleep paralysis since a very young age. Until finding this website TODAY, I had never heard of the "WILD" method - but it seems to have a lot of parallels to my (rather sloppy and uneducated) technique. When I was young, I would tell my parents about how "I woke up and couldn't move or breathe" and they chalked it up to a nightmare. It wasn't until 10 or so years later, and the invention of Google, that I would print out an article and say "I KNEW IT!!"

Typically, I can induce a lucid dream when I wake up in the middle of the night. It rarely (if ever) happens upon my first drift into sleep. Once I awaken after a few hours of sleep, if I don't move much and stay very relaxed, I will gradually slip into a very "fuzzy" state... if I'm able to "keep my cool" and focus on a setting, I will slip rather easily into a lucid dream. Which. Is. AWESOME.

BUT!!! The sleep paralysis has gotten MUCH worse. It used to happen once a month, maybe once every 6 months. I remember going almost 5 years without having a fit of paralysis. Recently, however, it seems to happen 3 to 5 times a week. Where it used to be a brief moment of struggle, it now seems to last longer and is initiated by an extremely uncomfortable, VERY loud ringing and buzzing - as well as a frightening sensation of my entire body vibrating like a plucked guitar string. When I was younger, I would hear something similar, but it was a very faint "PING" sound... that was my trigger to know I was about to have a lucid dream. It wasn't at all loud or scary... it was just a little noise that echoed off the walls of my brain to let me know it was time to have some fun. It's MUCH more intense now... almost unbearable.

I have done some reading recently, and I'm completely aware that none of this is harmful, and often can be used as an aid in catapulting into a lucid state. Reading only gets you so far, though... I want to hear what other people have to say.

I have been attempting to initiate this sensation to attempt to overcome it, as I feel the only way to make the next step is to confront this and attempt to understand it. Last night, I woke up at about 3am - and began to slip into what I now understand as a "WILD" attempt at lucid dreaming. My body began to feel fuzzy, and I thought "here we go"... Then my ears started to ring very quietly, quickly intensifying to a race car engine like squeal. My body began to vibrate. It was the longest I had ever let the feeling go without panicking and jumping out of bed to make it stop. I had too much of it and was very frightened, so I opened my eyes, and I was in a state of paralysis on the bed, next to my wife.

I could make this a much longer story, and tell you how I was able to eventually move myself a bit, though my limbs were about 10x the weight that they normally are - and I attempted to grab my wife's arm, but my hand passed right through her flesh, as if a ghost were trying to grab her... but that's not what this post is about.

My lucid dreaming has taken a massive plummet since the vibrations, loud ringing and paralysis have gotten worse. I know, and have known that these sensations are quite normal and are completely unthreatening... but whenever I feel the ringing start, I get scared.

Does anyone have triggers to help them "get through" this state? Or is it something I'm just going to have to brave up and face on my own? In my awake hours, I look forward to the sensation, because I want to power through it and see what's on the other side of it... but once I hear the sounds and feel the buzzing, it quickly becomes too much to handle.

If you feel the vibrations and hear the ringing, please share your stories.

Thanks, all.

taniaaust1

Re: Vibrations, Ringing and Paralysis

Postby taniaaust1 » 28 Feb 2013 11:23

I really hate the vibrations too and it can shake me around so much that it can get unnerving. I prefer it when I get an OBE without them and just slide out of my physical body. That brings me to your quote.

My body began to vibrate. It was the longest I had ever let the feeling go without panicking and jumping out of bed to make it stop. I had too much of it and was very frightened, so I opened my eyes, and I was in a state of paralysis on the bed, next to my wife.

I could make this a much longer story, and tell you how I was able to eventually move myself a bit, though my limbs were about 10x the weight that they normally are - and I attempted to grab my wife's arm, but my hand passed right through her flesh, as if a ghost were trying to grab her...

What I believe is going on with you is that thou you used to LD your body is now trying to astral project (OBE). LDs take place with our mental body (rhe energy of what our normal thoughts consist of) and OBEs take place with our astral body which is slightly denser (our bodies consist of 7 different frequencies of energy..those that can see auras can sometimes see these different energy layers/frequences and those energies are used in different things).

Maybe your subconciousness thinks you are ready for something new. When your arm passed throu your wife, that was yourl ASTRAL hand .. its good that parts of your body are that loose as it would mean you are very close to a full OBE experience. If you can ride out those vibrations you will probably find yourself in your bedroom OBE. You can also get out of body you extendin your astral parts out from your body.. try to reach out with your astral hand and try to pull yourself out.. just reach out further or further. Some like to imagine a rope above them and climb up and up away from your body.

another way some get out of your body at the point you were in.. is to think about rolling out of bed and try to do so and hopefully your astral body will follow suit. You will find yourself in the world which is parallel to the normal earth world.. much will be exactly the same unless you start LDing too (in which then your subconsciousness will then start to create images instead). You need to get about 6ft away from your physical body to not risk being pulled back in.

best luck.. OBEs can be quite interesting. I was doing OBEs before I got into LDs.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

galastrato

Postby galastrato » 17 Apr 2013 21:42

Taniaaust1 interesting post! I would like to understand more about OBE, LD seems really cool and fascinating (I haven't had any yet)
But OBE for me seems to be something completely different, to see yourself and the world around you from a different location seems completely crazy! I really want to try doing it, but I have no idea where to start.. I even found out about lucid dreams yesterday, so I'm just sitting here fascinated by everybody's stories haha)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Apr 2013 03:21

galastrato wrote:Taniaaust1 interesting post! I would like to understand more about OBE, LD seems really cool and fascinating (I haven't had any yet)
But OBE for me seems to be something completely different, to see yourself and the world around you from a different location seems completely crazy! I really want to try doing it, but I have no idea where to start.. I even found out about lucid dreams yesterday, so I'm just sitting here fascinated by everybody's stories haha)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

OBE and LD are extremely a like in many ways, with both you will feel real during your experience, with both you can have good waking awareness (thou OBES can be easier as far as the waking awareness go), with both you can do amazing things eg fly . When I get back to the more serious stuff and not just wanting to just play around having fun like Im doing now, Im probably then go back to the OBE stuff (In OBE state I can do things like healing and other things to help people)..

Which to want to do, it all thou depends on your goals for things which one people want to do (and LD can be a lot easier to do for most then OBE). eg if you want to find out more about your subconsiousness and the things it creates.. LD is the way to go as with OBEs your subconsciousness isnt necessarily manifesting. If you want to check up on something someone in real life is really physically doing.. OBE would be then the thing you want to do (as a LD is likely to give untrue to our physical world feedback back with whatever thoughts you have about a situation manifesting as if it is real instead).

I do both but currently are focused on LD.. cause I just love the creations which come out of my subconsciousness... I find it more exciting as far more unexpected things happen. OBE to me isnt much different to real life except I have some more skills and go places. LD guarantees me exciting experiences each time (as long as I can stay in the LD. I though had MANY boring OBEs and also got into real trouble at times throu OBE.. something which is very doubtful to happen during a LD as thou it feels real, its not really).
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

BAK777

Postby BAK777 » 21 Jul 2013 03:58

Yes to the vibrations, once. During my OBE days I happened to lay on my side for a change and thats when it happened. The best that I can figure the rate of vibration was 10 per second at apx. a 1 or 2 degree fluctuation both ways. It never happened when I was laying on my back only that one time when I was on my side.

Velathari

Postby Velathari » 24 Jul 2013 19:18

Sounds to me like I have the same experience. This is only my second post here, but once I am done moving in to my new apartment, I would like to make a regular "journal" more or less on here. I discussed my experience with my provider and he referenced me to hypnagogia as a clinical diagnosis, and a few other non medically practical possibilities. Me being a medical professional myself trust the practical option, but still interested in the non-practical options.

With my experience, it usually interrupts a dream with the ringing and fuzziness. I let my brain drift and I begin feeling an intense pulling and vibration experience. The most interesting part is the fuzziness turns into an electrical shock feeling in my head. It is a strange and slightly euphoric feeling, and I chose to embrace it instead of fear it. I believe there is no point in fearing the inevitable, so I simply don't.

I crave the feeling that you get and hunt and hope for it each time I go to sleep. I have practiced lucid dreaming in a very effective manner that doesn't involve mild or wild, and I will eventually get around to posting it. I prefer to call what we have, "enlightenment". Check out hypnagogia. It really answered many of my concerns.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
                BBCode is slightly dissapointing.
                I can't play with it as much.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”