Techniques for Beginners

Discuss lucid dreaming techniques including dream recall, MILD, WILD, meditation and other ways of attaining lucidity in dreams.
LynnM

Techniques for Beginners

Postby LynnM » 26 Apr 2011 20:10

:idea: I'm hoping I can get some tried and true, tips and techniques for beginners from some avid lucid dreamers. Or even a couple of answers to some of these questions would be great!

Are there any ways you can trigger a lucid dream?
Is it something you can do to prepare for lucid dreaming?
Are there any do's and don'ts to be aware of?

Any other comments and questions would be appreciate!

Ancient

Re: Techniques for Beginners

Postby Ancient » 27 Apr 2011 23:12

LynnM wrote:Are there any ways you can trigger a lucid dream?

There are many ways. I suggest improving your dream recall first until you can remember a couple dreams every night. A dream journal is an excellent way to do this. Once you have this down, I learned of a technique recently that has worked wonders for me. It's called ADA, or All Day Awareness. It is based on how natural lucid dreamers perceive the world. They are aware of their surroundings at all times, and spend less time wrapped in their thoughts, or zoned out, than the rest of us. To begin with, once or twice a day for a few minutes each time, pay attention to everything around and inside of you. Feel the blood flowing through your body, notice the sights around you. Take a deep breath and be aware of the smell of the air. Pay attention to whatever taste is on your tongue, and feel your clothes. Which each passing day, do this more frequently and for longer, and eventually it should become second nature.
It has been the most successful technique for me so far.

Is it something you can do to prepare for lucid dreaming?

Meditation is a great way to familiarize yourself with your mind. It relaxes you, and can help you prolong your first lucid dreams by helping to calm the initial excitement of becoming lucid.

Are there any do's and don'ts to be aware of?

DO:
Keep a dream journal
Meditate
Be consistent with practice

DON'T:
Get frustrated and give up

Good luck :)
Tool
Sleep
Portal
Gojira
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Am I Dreaming?--------------------------------------------------------- ?gnimaerD I mA

Rebecca
Site Admin

Postby Rebecca » 28 Apr 2011 09:16

Ancient wrote:Once you have this down, I learned of a technique recently that has worked wonders for me. It's called ADA, or All Day Awareness. It is based on how natural lucid dreamers perceive the world. They are aware of their surroundings at all times, and spend less time wrapped in their thoughts, or zoned out, than the rest of us. To begin with, once or twice a day for a few minutes each time, pay attention to everything around and inside of you. Feel the blood flowing through your body, notice the sights around you. Take a deep breath and be aware of the smell of the air. Pay attention to whatever taste is on your tongue, and feel your clothes. Which each passing day, do this more frequently and for longer, and eventually it should become second nature.
It has been the most successful technique for me so far.

I've never heard of ADA before, but that to me sounds like EXCELLENT advice.

I do something like this too, especially while I'm at my computer and need a break. I study my palms and objects around me and try to zap myself into the here and now, so everything is as intense as possible. Then I relax into my body and FEEL as much as I can through my body and all the senses. It's kinda hard to describe, but you probably know exactly what I mean....!

Ancient

Postby Ancient » 28 Apr 2011 14:39

Rebecca wrote:I've never heard of ADA before, but that to me sounds like EXCELLENT advice.

I do something like this too, especially while I'm at my computer and need a break. I study my palms and objects around me and try to zap myself into the here and now, so everything is as intense as possible. Then I relax into my body and FEEL as much as I can through my body and all the senses. It's kinda hard to describe, but you probably know exactly what I mean....!

I came across it on another forum, and it's a personal technique that they developed. I find that it is similar to the feeling of meditation. Your body is always sending these messages about the world to you, and ADA is just about opening yourself up to it more often.
Tool
Sleep
Portal
Gojira
Neurosis
Sunn O)))
Meshuggah
Electric Wizard
Mammoth Grinder

Am I Dreaming?--------------------------------------------------------- ?gnimaerD I mA

Tikuviiner

Postby Tikuviiner » 01 May 2011 20:23

I would suggest reality checks. Although probably people who have found outabout this forum know about reality check. I sometimes ask others if I am dreaming and sometimes I thorouhgly analyze if things are real or not.

Wolvendeer

Postby Wolvendeer » 02 May 2011 18:43

That ADA is very good advice, and though I have been trying to build that myself, I never thought of scheduling awareness 'appointments'. I have just been trying (and failing) to do it generally during the day. Now that you mention it, I think it would be good to add one more step to that, which would be to create a list of things to pay attention to, so that while you are there building your awareness, you have something to start with so that you know that you are helping rather than just 'paying attention'. For example:

1. What is the farthest object you can see? Does it fit with its surroundings?
2. Look at any people around you, and ask yourself if what they're doing makes sense (and why)?
3. Etc

AngelDreams

Postby AngelDreams » 02 May 2011 21:20

Sometimes when I am in a stressful dream I can go do a reality check and go lucid to take control of the situation. If you have a negative stressful dream or nightmare make and effort to consciously acknowledge you are in a dream. Then decide what you want to do to fix the situation or over power whatever is the source of the stress. It can be a good chance to change a negative into a positive and trigger a lucid state. I have created different weapons and escape routes and whatever helps me solve the problem on the spot before so just have fun with it.

LynnM

Postby LynnM » 02 May 2011 21:44

Wow thank you all so much! I am so excited to try some of these techniques! I hadn't heard of ADA so I will give that a try. I just bought a new notebook that would be perfect for a dream journal so I will start on that as well. Thank you so much for all the advice. Please keep it coming!

Axs3831

Postby Axs3831 » 02 May 2011 21:49

The ADA technique seems nice, but I assume that as many beginners I ask myself this question. My point is that I'm actually thinking about LD all my awake days long, with reality checks and so ...Am I not warning my unconscious state I'm trying to "break rules" by willing to get lucid ? I feel like my mind created a mental shield, and thus prevents me from dream awareness ... Did it also occured to you in the first place ?

Cris_MO

Postby Cris_MO » 27 Aug 2013 06:19

Axs, I've been wondering the same thing. In fact, that was a suggestion that was given me in another forum. But I'm going to keep trying, no matter what.

Currently, I am repeating a mantra of sorts after I go to bed. With my eyes closed and being relaxed as much as possible, I repeat the following for as long as I can: "This is a dream. I am dreaming."

It hasn't gotten me lucid yet, but I reported the results in another forum: Share Your Lucid Dreams/Lucid Dreams Aren't All What They're Cracked up To Be.

You might want to check that out. There are some good ideas there.

Good luck, and me, too. :D

Return to “Lucid Dreaming Techniques”