Does the afterlife exist at all? Debate that here.

For all other chat which isn't directly related to lucid dreaming and the world of sleep and dreams.
taniaaust1

Re: Does the afterlife exist at all? Debate that here.

Postby taniaaust1 » 18 Apr 2013 12:43

Summerlander wrote:We are moving towards subjective experience, not necessarily a hypothetical non-physical plane of existence. Jack and Hagart are right in pointing out that if something is non-physical then it can't possibly interact with or be affected by the physical. For something to be affected by physical forces it has to be physical by default in order to be compatible.

Wind isnt physical and yet that can be a quite destructive force upon the physical.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 18 Apr 2013 20:44

I'm sorry to break it to you, taniaaust, but wind is very much physical. It is air in motion, a current of atoms that make up the atmosphere's gases such as nitrogen and oxygen.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 19 Apr 2013 06:06

Wind is a physical force even if you can't see it.

But IDEAS are non-physical.

What are IDEAS, and why do I have them at all? When I am asleep, and supposedly, non-conscious, I still think! Sometimes random thoughts I can't make sense of, other times I drift into life-scenarios I call vivid dreams. And then there is the other... Which I don't need to explain with this crowd... THE LUCID DREAM. SO REAL AT TIMES SOME CALL IT "OUT OF BODY".

This is starting to go off tangent but actually it is not. Questioning physical and non-physical is the essence of the notion of 'life after death'.

I will end with saying that all my dreams, no matter how vivid, great, surreal they were..... they were all internal in my own mind and nothing more... but also nothing less.

And although it pains me to say it, death is the absence of thought, and zero brain waves is a hard thing to fathom for the one thinking it... like all of us who just can't stop thinking!
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 19 Apr 2013 06:37

I will end with saying that all my dreams, no matter how vivid, great, surreal they were..... they were all internal in my own mind and nothing more... but also nothing less

I feel the same way that when you take away the belief what is left is even more amazing as if fills all the gaps and can change at will.

Also one thing that always bothers me is that all near death experiences that provide some of the fuel for the afterlife proofs all happen in a living body. They are near death not death experiences
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 19 Apr 2013 10:54

I had an NDE once when I was at uni over ten years ago now. I was in a bad way drinking and taking lots of drugs. I collapsed in a bog after feeling like I was dying...

Next thing I felt was peace and the a comfortable feeling of floating in warmth above clouds. Then, my perspective changed and I found myself stroboscopically shifting above people's heads at the uni bar.

I could hear them chattering away and nobody acknowledged my presence. The place was crowded. I finally came to and some dude was slapping my face. I was given some water and felt like I needed to rest. My head hurt. The experience had made me think: had I died?

Ok, I was not taken to a hospital and did not endure a life-threatening op but it was still traumatic and the parallels are undeniable. No tunnel was experienced but the bar was indeed full of people (which it hadn't been before I went to the loo and passed out).

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

AceOfSpades

Postby AceOfSpades » 22 Jul 2013 11:03

Personally I think regardless how destroyed your body and mind are when you die, that there is a life beyond death. I can't explain it, but logically if there was some kind of life people see when they die, that just so happens to be regarded as the mind playing tricks on the corpse it's in. The only way that would be possible would be that if the brain was in tact. However someone very close to me was cremated after death. Brain nothing but ashes. Yet I still feel that person's presence, why is that?

LCDAnthony

Postby LCDAnthony » 24 Jul 2013 04:18

I really did bring up and interesting and troublesome topic didn't I..?

Teraku

Postby Teraku » 26 Jul 2013 13:58

taniaaust1 wrote:
Summerlander wrote:We are moving towards subjective experience, not necessarily a hypothetical non-physical plane of existence. Jack and Hagart are right in pointing out that if something is non-physical then it can't possibly interact with or be affected by the physical. For something to be affected by physical forces it has to be physical by default in order to be compatible.

Wind isnt physical and yet that can be a quite destructive force upon the physical.

Wind is physical. It's the movement of air.

HAGART wrote:Wind is a physical force even if you can't see it.

But IDEAS are non-physical.

Ideas are also physical, since they're part of the brain. This brings us back to the whole consciousness debate, though.

I don't think an afterlife exists, because there is nothing suggesting that there is one. There may very well be an afterlife, though. But there's absolutely no way of knowing right now.

Debating about it might be interesting, but it always ends with the same answer: "We can't know for sure either way". And you know what? I like it that way. It adds some mystery to life.

DreamerMan99

Postby DreamerMan99 » 26 Jul 2013 17:37

Amazing topic guys.

I think afterlife is nonsense. You exsist in your brain. When you die, bloodflow to your brain stops. When that happens, your brain cannot send electrical pulses to your body. How could it be able to support an entire conscious/subconsious? Even if it could, what were to happen when your brain completely rots away?

Also, the idea that your "soul" goes to a "eternal afterlife" seems like nonsense. It wouldnt be possible for a entity? To organize a non physical universe.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Good luck,
Dream on.
LDs~32

Teraku

Postby Teraku » 27 Jul 2013 00:45

You do make a good point, but like I said, we can't know for sure 100%. That doesn't mean I will claim there is an afterlife, and I'm pretty sure there isn't, but we can't really know for sure. Logic dictates that there would probably not be an afterlife, though.

Return to “Off-Topic”