Am I on my way to inducing sleep paralysis?

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
ipharsleep

Am I on my way to inducing sleep paralysis?

Postby ipharsleep » 19 Apr 2013 07:24

Here is the method I am working on when it comes to inducing sleep paralysis.

Lay on back with arms and feet stretched out.
Don't move no matter what.
I keep a pillow over my eyes to prevent them from opening (not sure if this is bad). I also do this because my previous experiences with sleep paralysis were as you might have guessed, frightening. However, I am slowly trying to approach this in an enjoyable manner and joyous experience.
Now here is where I begin to fail.
At a certain point, I begin to fill my heart pound so fast like an adrenaline rush (usually this is about 40min into not moving). After this rush happens, I find myself back to square one and feeling more awake than sleepy.

What are your thoughts? What should I try to do? Lastly, sometimes when I get the adrenaline rush, I feel my neck begin to turn (tonight it was rolling to the left). It felt like it wasn't real but at the same time it really did move into a new position.

I've seen videos of doing sleep paralysis first then taking that to an OOBE or lucid dream. Is this plausible?

Please help me as I really would like to gain more insight into creating these experience for me.

Thanks a bunch!

Peter

Re: Am I on my way to inducing sleep paralysis?

Postby Peter » 19 Apr 2013 09:10

You dont "do" sleep paralysis and its not important to experience SP to lucid dream. Sometimes you get the feeling of SP and sometimes you dont but its not a goal and then you are closer to a LD. Work on reality checks and seeding dreams to get lucid in the dream its a lot easier and more reward for the effort
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 20 Apr 2013 00:24

Sleep paralyses is just a side effect some get when doing these things.. and nothing more really then that. You dont even need to be getting it to have an OBE or a LD.

Secondly .. putting a pillow over your eyes will not necessarily stop you from seeing scary things as it isnt your physical eyes which see the images as such (thou it may seem like it) but rather your other perceptions pick up on those images. If you are that scared of the whole process it sounds as if you arent really ready to even be trying to do these things.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

ipharsleep

Postby ipharsleep » 20 Apr 2013 03:18

Great, I appreciate it. I will work on the seeding of dreams.

Peter

Postby Peter » 20 Apr 2013 03:56

write dreams down and simple is fine to get them into waking life and then each time when you go to bed think of waking up in a dream and if there is anything that is regular imagine seeing that and going I am dreaming. I have a few solid signs and one is my cell, in dreams it is often soft and pliable when I go to touch the screen and this is a good dream sign for me and works a lot.

Also for me its about 3 days from seeding to the event appearing in my dream so give it time to work
Who are you I asked, the reply "dont be silly, we are your daughers" many years before they were born

HAGART

Postby HAGART » 21 Apr 2013 02:40

Peter wrote:Also for me its about 3 days from seeding to the event appearing in my dream so give it time to work

This is uncanny because I was just thinking about this today.
I noticed that when I do something repeatedly or do something that is out of my normal routine, I expect to dream about it that night, but I don't. It always tends to be about 3 days later. So I thought to myself, if I want to incubate a dream scene, and scenario it would take about 3 days.

So I was thinking this earlier today: I tend to dream about things I do and think about in real life and it takes about 3 days to get 'subconsciously planted'. If I alter what I do and think about in real life, after a few days, I will probably start dreaming about it. And if I do reality checks when awake and doing it, I will also be in the habit of doing it in the dream.

So in a way, I don't have to get random dreams that occur on their own and actually start 'seeding' the idea throughout the day. And it would take a few days and I shouldn't expect it to work that very same night.

I think I've heard this stuff before, but now it finally clicked with me. I can be proactive and actually create the dream I want while awake if I attend to it and incubate it.
(What it hatches as, I don't know! The dream is still going to have a life of it's own!)
If we all lucid dreamed this world would be a better place.

Peter

Postby Peter » 21 Apr 2013 03:12

There is something else I read about and its something like the small things in daily life that we dont give attention to are also the seeds for dreams and its as if the mind will bring these events into awareness and have a look at them in detail and of course mess with them in the way the dream does. This might be more apparent in vivid or normal dreams and might not be literal either, its interesting to relate some abstract dream or set of events in a dream to something forgotten about from daily life. For me this is most likely to be a concept or thought that I am carrying around quietly in my mind that comes in this way.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 Apr 2013 00:33

Thanks Peter for that seed dreaming advice. It was something I actually didnt know, so you just taught me something :D . I'd tried unsuccessfully to seed dreams before but i'd expected them to happen the same night so only tried it for a day. I had no idea I should expect that it may take a few days to occur.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “For Beginners”