False Awakenings

For general lucid chat - ask questions, share advice, set lucid dream challenges and explore the lucid realm together.
DreamyDazzler

False Awakenings

Postby DreamyDazzler » 22 Apr 2013 20:05

recently i've been able to go lucid regularly, much more regular than ever before. I don't use dream journals or lots of other techniques i've read about. All i do is wake up from a normal sleep, lye in bed trying to convince myself i'm still dreaming and touch nearby objects to my bed. Also at the same time i seem to be having multiple false awakenings and looking back some of them i realise and then immediately go lucid, others i miss and wake up normally.

Last night after a few short lucid dreams i had a false awakening where i was lying in bed on my laptop and the battery leaked acid on my hands ( i felt weird burning and a smell) so i quickly jumped out of bed, put my boxers shorts on and hurried to the bathroom to wash my hands. as i tried to wash my hands i realised my hands were partially invisible so i instantly knew i was dreaming.

Does anyone think that these false awakenings are the key to reaching lucidity? or maybe going lucid produces these false awakenings? in my limited experience i feel that false awakenings are strongly linked to the ability to go lucid but i'm just not fully sure how.

taniaaust1

Re: False Awakenings

Postby taniaaust1 » 22 Apr 2013 23:40

False awakenenings are tricky things as thou ones waking consciousness is present in them, it can be hard to know one is a false awakening. If you are working this out.. you are lucky as many dont :) . I myself only realise Im in a false awakening on very rare occassions.

I had an interesting experience a couple of nights back (actually had an interesting one last night too), a couple of nights ago I was trying to go to sleep and still thought I was awake (as there was no break in my waking consciousness).

I thought I just still was physically laying on my bed awake. Suddenly I felt my body moved a little but I hadnt been aware I'd moved it myself. Then it did that again.. at this point I wondered if I was feeling my astral body moving about within my physical body as that is something I can feel just before an OBE. I still wasnt sure thou (maybe I'd moved a bit without realizing I'd moved that body part?). It was confusing.

So I tried sitting up.. my body sat up as per normal except where I got to the top of the sit.. there felt a strange resistance going on making it hard to sit up further.. so I layed back down. I still didnt know what to think. I decided at this point to put effort into trying to do a roll to see what happened.. would it make me physically fall out of bed? (if so my mattress is on the floor so I knew I wouldnt hurt myself) or would I then have an OBE? and find myself out of body? (I wouldnt have tried a roll like that if my mattress hadnt been on the floor as I was still confused if I was awake or not).

So I tried a roll with force and sure enough then I find myself summersaulting throu the air... to my surprise thou instead of finding myself near my bed like most of my OBES start off when I get free of my physcial body .. I'd actually summersaulted into a LD and now was in a dream world (subconscious mind creation) in which I was standing somewhere I didnt know, in a childrens room filled with toys. Summersaulting into a LD, is the most interesting entry I've had to a LD so far :D . (it certainly helped me to disconnect my waking mind from my physical body).

I bet many are in the right state for LD or OBE when they are just laying on their beds thinking or whatever but just not aware that they may be feeling their astral body and not their physical form, not even aware they have detatched from the physical esp. if there is no break of consciousness and they have been awake and aware the whole time, so they just keep laying there .. missing their chance to have an experience. I bet many who work hard at the LD or OBE stuff and think they are never successful.. may have this actually going on.. with just not realising if they had just got out of bed, they may of found they werent in their physical body. Maybe we all should be doing reality checks when we are in bed!

anyway.. good for you if you can work out when you are in a false awakening :D . A LD can be gotten to by either becoming aware that you are dreaming during a false awakening (when your waking consciousness is already present) or via.. having to bring your waking consciousness into a dream. They are just two completely different ways about getting into a LD state.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

DreamyDazzler

Postby DreamyDazzler » 24 Apr 2013 06:18

So you've also had false awakenings but don't often realise they are untill after you really wake up? . I only recently started having them ( or recently recoqnising them) after doing some very simple things. Waking up after sleep as normal and then just lye there questioning over and over in my head if i was still dreaming, sort of trying to convince myself i was. Also i reach out to my wall slowly pretending that my finger might go through it untill i actually touch it then do the same to the tv on the other side of the bed, all the while thinking " am i dreaming?" etc.

My memory of the event is beginning to fade now but i remember a couple of my realisations were linked with my touching objects in my dream like i had in reality seconds or minutes earlier and finding out they are reacting differently to what is normal. some of the realisations happened with my questioning my reality, again like i had done just before dropping off to sleep again. The thing is i remember having alot of false awakenings one after the other using this technique, probably about 10 or 15 times each followed by a small period of lucidity ( i struggle to extend the duration of lucidity and wake up many times in a row ) Is that many False awakenings in a row even normal? I don't know if that happens to other people.

I've also experienced like you out of body stuff years ago but not recently. Did you ever see your actual body lying in bed during the OBE's? You seem to have had alot of experience with them compared with my two times ( or maybe three not sure if one was just a dream) my first OBE really shocked me when i saw my own body and i had some kind of huge vibration thumping sensation as if i was jolting back to my body then i woke up gasping. Second time i was staring up at the ceiling and suddenly realised it was slowly getting closer untill i was actually on the ceiling. i rolled over and could see myself and the room looked exactly perfect, unlike in dreams where the surroundings can shift and be positioned in a strange manner.

It's certainly amazing how these three things could and probably are connected, false awakenings, lucidity and OBE's. Perhaps you could try similar to what i did to see if it helps you recognise false awakenings more often, i'm almost certain my touching objects near to the bed while constantly questioning reality makes me do it in the dream world if i keep waking up and dropping off multiple times after a proper nights sleep.

Thanks for your reply, very interesting stuff about astral body and OBE's! :)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Apr 2013 08:19

DreamyDazzler wrote: Is that many False awakenings in a row even normal? I don't know if that happens to other people.

No it isnt at all normal and actually extremely rare.. most people only have a couple of them in a row at the most. My experience of having 6 in a row one time is a rare one. Maybe thou its rare, this isnt going to be unusual for you (ive had that people who have lots of them, it can become common for them to do that). I usually only just have the one on the very rare occassions I get them.

Did you ever see your actual body lying in bed during the OBE's?
I dont look at my body as I know that doing that can cause a person to end up back in it. Its best to keep focus away from the physical body. Im also always blind when I first get out.. and my sight seems to take up to several minutes to come in.. possibly me getting away from my physical body helps my sight come in (or maybe its more about the length of time Ive been out.. I dont know). So anyway due to that I rarely see my bedroom during a OBE. (I'll go for walk around my house, feeling he walls while Im waiting for my sight to come in).

Second time i was staring up at the ceiling and suddenly realised it was slowly getting closer untill i was actually on the ceiling.

:) that's common to do.. I often have bumped into the ceiling which is sometimes what has made me aware that Ive had a spontanous OBE. Its like "oh shit, what are I doing up here!".

My first 3-5 OBEs were very frustrating as I had my bedroom door shut and I couldnt get my body to go throu the wall, I'd push and push with my hand and the wall would give slightly but was still too thick for me to pass throu so I was stuck there (with no sight and just stuck in the bedroom). The first two times I didnt mind as I had fun doing mid air summersaults and stuff but then that got old. (At times I seem to be denser then most when I do a OBE.. I say that as not only can I get stuck due to a wall but Ive also moved a physical chair during an OBE witnessed by others who were physical).

ive had a fair amount of OBE experiences over the years but wouldnt say Im an expert in it. I find LD more exciting.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

Return to “General Lucid Discussion”