ok so I'm starting to doubt

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
neverlandjulia

ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby neverlandjulia » 22 Apr 2013 08:57

...if these techniques really work.
the only 2 lucid dreams I had were sort of false awakenings, like I woke up in my bed and just realised it is a dream even though my apartment looked the same (excepts some meaningless details, but in general the same). and both of them I think I got totally addicentally, because I had very strong emotions before going to sleep. and that's it.
NONE of techniques described on the site helps me. I never remember to do RC in my dreams, I don't have very good dream recall because I tend to wake up before I even dream (my REM starts after 7 hours and I live in noisy place). But even on weekends nothing happens. And WILD doesn't work for me either.
I seriously don't know what should I do now, I am becoming more and more frustrated. Maybe it's just that I'm not a person for LD, and you have to really have the talent for it or something?

tea

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby tea » 22 Apr 2013 09:56

first off: your REM does not start after 7 hours.

here, take a look at the this: http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/the-stages-of-sleep.html

and you've talked about techniques mentioned here, so i assume you're keeping a dream-journal?
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

neverlandjulia

Postby neverlandjulia » 22 Apr 2013 11:38

yes, I do keep dream journal but it doesn't help me during the nights I can't remember a thing.
the thing about is that I remember my dreams only if I sleep more than 7 hours, and that's very often impossible. but I think that doesn't even matter because on days when I do remember, I remember them very well, I can write whole 2 pages for just one night, and I perform reality checks and yet I don't get any LD.

tea

Postby tea » 22 Apr 2013 14:46

it is important to perform your reality checks correctly, otherwise they won't help at all.
i'm pretty sure you know that already but let me repeat: doing RCs is not just about quickly doing them and then carry on with your day but REALLY questioning whether this is a dream right not. that's the important part: ask yourself why you can be so sure that this is no dream. and then prove it.
it's all about training yourself to become more aware of your actual situation - by doing so you should be doing that in dreams too.

however, i know what you mean. for me goes the same; reality checks almost never trigger lucidity. i mostly do them AFTER i became aware that this is a dream, as a part of my stabilization methods.
there are people on this forum who decided not to stop doing RCs since they won't work on them either, maybe they can help you out on this one.

so you said you only remember your dreams when sleeping longer than 7 hours? yeah, that's understandable. i too have similar "problems" at the time.
but what was the reason for you to no being able to sleep long enough? the noises? have you thought about ear-protection?
☺ nice, you are a curious one! come, follow me into the rabbit hole if you want to: http://lost-and-fun.tumblr. com/

neverlandjulia

Postby neverlandjulia » 22 Apr 2013 16:19

yes, the noises, I am a light sleeper. I bought ear plugs but they don't help at all. it's probably my building which is awful because the walls are very thin and I hear neighbours constantly. I'm moving in 5 months but it's a lot of time and I wish I could learn how to LD before that time, especially since I'm gonna move to study so I'm gonna have more things on my mind.

like, for example, today I slept around 7 hours but not more and I only know I had a dream and I really relaxed in the morning and tried to focus and remember but it never works.

and I am pretty sure I'm doing RC correctly...

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 23 Apr 2013 00:37

When doing your reality checks.. what dream sign are you doing them too?
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

neverlandjulia

Postby neverlandjulia » 23 Apr 2013 11:48

nothing in particular. since, as I described earlier, both of my dreams were waking up in my own bed in my own appartment, I only had a very strange feeling, like my body is floating, and that's how I thought "maybe I am in a dream?" and started to do RC. in normal dreams I never have this feeling and never remember to do RC. which is very annoying because I keep the list of my dream signs and see them almost every night and yet don't remember to RC when I see them!

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Apr 2013 01:58

neverlandjulia wrote:nothing in particular. since, as I described earlier, both of my dreams were waking up in my own bed in my own appartment, I only had a very strange feeling, like my body is floating, and that's how I thought "maybe I am in a dream?" and started to do RC. in normal dreams I never have this feeling and never remember to do RC. which is very annoying because I keep the list of my dream signs and see them almost every night and yet don't remember to RC when I see them!

So you arent doing reality checks to your dream sign? eg by dream sign, I mean things that when those things are happening in real life you do a reality check. That's probably your issue then. You need to be doing your reality checks to something during your waking hours which is also appearing in your dreams.. so you will follow throu and do reality check too those too.

Just random reality checks dont work for many (thou do for some) need to be doing the reality checks to something in their waking life which appears in dreams too.

I personally believe everyone (as long as they are capable of remembering their dreams) can have LDs.. its a matter of just finding the right technique for you.

neverlandjulia

Postby neverlandjulia » 24 Apr 2013 13:52

Ok, I didn't understand your question. I do reality check whenever I see dream sign though 1. Sometimes it's hard to remember because I often dream about dogs and I see them all the time so sometimes I don't pay enough attention because it's like 10 dogs during one day... or for example, I dream about being in my own appartment, so how am I supposed to do RC for that... haha 2. Sometimes it's impossible because I dream about people, whom I NEVER see in the real life. See my struggle? ;)

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 25 Apr 2013 05:29

If your dream sign is seeing a dog.. you should be then doing a reality check EVERYTIME you see one in real life.. otherwise you may not start doing reality checks when you see one in a dream as you arent then getting into a habit of reality checking everytime one is seen. You need to turn things into a habit and even missing doing it occassionally, will not turn it into a habit. So then its likely to fail.

Your appartment as a dream sign.. think about what you do during the day there or see there, in which you could do a reality check EVERY TIME its seen seen or done while awake. It could be something like on entering a certain room do a reality check (If you use a room, make sure the room you choose is one in which you often enter in your dreams).

think too about what activities you do in your appartment in your dreams? If you are in your home.. you must be doing something there :) . is there a common activity there you could try to get into the habit of reality checking with before you start doing it. If you dream of waking up there.. you may need to be doing reality checks all the time (not missing doing them) every time you wake up thou as we usually only wake up once in every 24hr period, that may not be enough to get into your subconsciousness to do it (but that does sound like it needs to be one of your reality checks).

How many times do you reality check doing the day? (Just looking at a list by the bed saying when you should reality check isnt enough). 10 times a day probably would be good if you've been trying for a while with doing it less often.

Return to “For Beginners”