ok so I'm starting to doubt

If you're new to lucid dreaming, browse this forum for answers to your questions, or post and ask for specific tips on getting started.
User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3640
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby Summerlander » 25 Apr 2013 09:19

You gotta cultivate your practice, neverlandjulia. Get those negative thoughts of "I can't do it" or "not for me" out of your head. Sometimes a little determination and strong enthusiasm suffices. You are trying to become conscious while dreaming. That's all. Experts desctibe methods and techniques that boost memory, promote alertness and increase your chances of lucid dreaming but you still have to do the work and find out what works best for you. You may start by paying attention to your ordinary dreams for those recurrent clues.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

neverlandjulia
Posts: 75
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:09
Location: Neverland

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby neverlandjulia » 25 Apr 2013 11:37

tania - I do reality checks 10+, I would say something around 20 times a day. I'm trying really hard here, that's why I'm so confused about the fact I don't get LD.

Maybe I really should be more positive although you see how hard it is after all this time :P I literally can't believe I don't catch myself in a dream that I'm dreaming because when I wake up and remember my dream signs that sounds so terribly obvious...

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3640
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby Summerlander » 25 Apr 2013 12:32

Maybe the number of times you do reality checks is what's causing your consciousness to ease off the "dream detective" chore.

Reduce the number of reality checks to, say, about five a day. But, when you do one, make it more intense than evrr before. Don't just pinch your nose and coclude straight away that you are obviously not dreaming because you can't breathe. Don't just look at your hands and dismiss the possibility that you are dreaming just because they look normal.

Remember, these patterns of behaviour are transferable to dream states and cause you to be just as dismissive.

The solution?

Try several test in one reality check and be sceptical to the core. Can I not breathe when I pinch my nose? Let's stare at my normal-looking hands for 20 seconds to see if anything mighty strange takes place. It seems like I am awake beyond all doubt but, do I stop here? No. Let's jump up in the air to see if I can levitate. Still normal? Well, can I remember what happened two hours ago? How did I get here? Can I easily answer these questions?

Really make those reality check sessions count. Everytime you decide to do an RC, really persist with several tests even if you are sure that you are awake. The dream world will not be able to withstand such persistent testing and your brain will have no choice but to combine wakefulness and REM sleep. This is the hybrid state of lucid dreaming.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

neverlandjulia
Posts: 75
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:09
Location: Neverland

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby neverlandjulia » 25 Apr 2013 13:54

funny thing but I actually do that, I mean a few RC at 1 session :) But maybe I'm not focusing enough, I'll try to improve them then.

User avatar
Summerlander
Posts: 3640
Joined: 22 Sep 2011 19:52

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby Summerlander » 25 Apr 2013 15:38

Good luck! I really do hope you get there. Remember to have an interesting plan of action to avoid hesitation when you lucid dream.

If a lucid dream collapses it is also useful to get into the habit of attempting OBE-type exits from the perceived sleeping body in order to lucidly return to dreamland.

It only gets better once you get the hang of it!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

neverlandjulia
Posts: 75
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:09
Location: Neverland

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby neverlandjulia » 25 Apr 2013 21:03

I hope so! I was totally convinced I can do it when I got my first 2 ones, even though they lasted around 10 seconds and I think they were false awakenings. And since that, it's been around 3 weeks and nothing happens, that's where my doubts came from :)

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Apr 2013 09:08

neverlandjulia wrote:funny thing but I actually do that, I mean a few RC at 1 session :) But maybe I'm not focusing enough, I'll try to improve them then.


Yeah.. if you arent focusing hard enough on "If this is a dream???" and doing a check with that so strongly in mind and putting effort into that check.. you may be checking in dreams and ending up with wrong reality check results.
Last edited by taniaaust1 on 26 Apr 2013 09:12, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Apr 2013 09:11

neverlandjulia wrote:I hope so! I was totally convinced I can do it when I got my first 2 ones, even though they lasted around 10 seconds and I think they were false awakenings. And since that, it's been around 3 weeks and nothing happens, that's where my doubts came from :)


For a beginner who has only had 2 LDs.. having to wait 3 weeks or so for another experience isnt long at all. Sounds like you need more patience and to not allow the fact that its been just a few weeks to get to you. (thinking negative like the other said, doesnt help)
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

User avatar
taniaaust1
Posts: 2990
Joined: 07 Feb 2013 15:32
Location: Adelaide, South Australia

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby taniaaust1 » 26 Apr 2013 09:14

neverlandjulia wrote:tania - I do reality checks 10+, I would say something around 20 times a day. I'm trying really hard here, that's why I'm so confused about the fact I don't get LD.

Maybe I really should be more positive although you see how hard it is after all this time :P I literally can't believe I don't catch myself in a dream that I'm dreaming because when I wake up and remember my dream signs that sounds so terribly obvious...


oh.. so lack of reality checks shouldnt be an issue if you are seriously checking.

Confused when you say "I literally cant believe I dont catch myself in a dream that Im dreaming became when I wake up and remember my dream signs that sounds so terribly obvious".

by that do you mean you are trying to do checks at weird things in the dream too? My own brain never picks up on weirdness in a dream and I dont think ive ever come lucid from that thou many do.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

neverlandjulia
Posts: 75
Joined: 24 Mar 2013 10:09
Location: Neverland

Re: ok so I'm starting to doubt

Postby neverlandjulia » 26 Apr 2013 12:40

taniaaust1 wrote:
neverlandjulia wrote:tania - I do reality checks 10+, I would say something around 20 times a day. I'm trying really hard here, that's why I'm so confused about the fact I don't get LD.

Maybe I really should be more positive although you see how hard it is after all this time :P I literally can't believe I don't catch myself in a dream that I'm dreaming because when I wake up and remember my dream signs that sounds so terribly obvious...


oh.. so lack of reality checks shouldnt be an issue if you are seriously checking.

Confused when you say "I literally cant believe I dont catch myself in a dream that Im dreaming became when I wake up and remember my dream signs that sounds so terribly obvious".

by that do you mean you are trying to do checks at weird things in the dream too? My own brain never picks up on weirdness in a dream and I dont think ive ever come lucid from that thou many do.


I meant here that every night I see practically the same dream signs and I never perform RC and in the morning when I wake up I can't believe I did. These are THE SAME dream signs and I even read the list of them before going to bed to keep them in mind. And still I forget to do them while dreaming. SO annoying.

And hmm... 3 weeks doesn't seem like too long when you think about a newbie, now I see it, but it feels like forever :D


Return to “For Beginners”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests