Narcolepsy

Do you suffer a sleep disorder? Find support on sleep paralysis, night terrors, recurring nightmares, sleep deprivation and more.
Narc56

Narcolepsy

Postby Narc56 » 23 Jan 2013 21:13

Hello everyone, I have some questions about lucid dreaming. My case is a little different than most I think, as I have a sleeping disorder called Narcolepsy. To start off, I'd like to mention where I think I may be a little different than most. Number one, I have been lucid dreaming since I was a child, until recently (I'm 21 now) I had no idea that there was even a name for what my dreams were, but here we are. I think that the reason I started doing it so quickly is because of Narcolepsy, which causes the mind to skip the normal phases of sleep and go straight into REM sleep, rather than follow the proper order of things. Number two, I lucid dream every time I go to sleep. Whether it be going to bed at night, 5-10 minute nap, I am always lucid. Now, I always had a great degree of control over my dreams when I was young and going through high school and all. But as I have been getting older, my control has been declining. Now my dreams are borderline chaotic. I have slight control every now and then, but it seems that things either play out in a chaotic, random fashion, or when I try to control things, my dream seems to create things or act in a direct counter to my desires. I have so many questions, but I'm not sure what all is allowed to be talked about on this forum, and my dreams (like any I would think) can often take odd or inappropriate turns. Anyway, I really need some help understanding and regaining control of these dreams, because since I have them every time I go to sleep, I often wake up frustrated, angry, or frightened, depending on how the dream goes. Can anyone help me out?

oliverclay

Re: Narcolepsy

Postby oliverclay » 22 Apr 2013 10:37

I need to know more about Narcolepsy i have not heard about it.

taniaaust1

Postby taniaaust1 » 24 Apr 2013 03:47

I dont know if Im right or not about what Im about to say but I do wonder that if someone has been always lucid in all their dreams, if the subconsciousness is needing to play out in an uncontrolled kind of way to work out all its stuff built up over time??

Sorry I dont know what to suggest if you have always been lucid and have been able to control your dreams but now suddenly cant. Maybe this shift is an improvement in your medical condition in some way eg sleeping deeper? Maybe with the narcolespy you were always before a light sleeper and there has been some kind of shift with your sleep?????

sorry I cant help.
The only thing to fear is the fear itself

mia

Postby mia » 27 Apr 2013 04:17

Your chaotic, uncontrolled, random events dreams, sound a lot like most people's non-lucid dreams.
The key to creativity is to remove the watchers from the gates, and realize how free you really are.

Summerlander

Postby Summerlander » 27 Apr 2013 13:30

When it comes to the induction of WILDs and OOBEs we, the non-narcoleptics, are unwittingly inducing temporary narcolepsy. This is what lucid dreamers do to consciously dream. Others seem to be hard-wired for those hybrid states of sleep.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"Empty cognizance of one taste, suffused with knowing, is your unmistaken nature, the uncontrived original state. when not altering what is, allow it to be as it is, and the awakened state is right now spontaneously present."

- Padmasambhava

d.conn3

Postby d.conn3 » 09 Oct 2013 01:07

im 14 years old and iv had narcolepsy for about three years and I can relate to being able to be lucid in a short ten to fifthteen minute nap. and I think this is why we have no trouble becoming lucid.

Goldkoron

Postby Goldkoron » 09 Oct 2013 02:01

I am pretty sure Narcolepsy is a disorder in which the person who has it can often have sudden waves of sleepiness during the day, sometimes strong enough for the person instantly needing to go to sleep. I am unsure how powerful it is, I only know that a character in a anime that I watch sometimes loses conscious because of Narcolepsy.
Do a reality check

radicaldreamer

Postby radicaldreamer » 09 Oct 2013 11:33

For the past two years I've experienced sleep apnea symptoms, but I may have narcolepsy as well because I've had all of the common symptoms of narcolepsy since the 3rd grade. I am almost always sleepy, I can fall asleep while working, driving, talking, sometimes while standing, walking, and even doing hard labor.

I too skip right into REM about as soon as I sleep and it makes it easy to plan out my dreams and remember exactly what I came in for.

Like Narc56 though, I sometimes experience semi-lucid dreams, where I know I'm dreaming, and I know that I can control the dream and I do to a degree, but the script plays out without my full control. This usually happens to me when I'm completely exhausted and have fallen asleep without preparing to fall asleep. (like if my kids keep me up all night :x )

When I want much more control of my dreams, I make myself sleep when I'm not feeling tired. For me it only takes about two or three minutes if it's quiet.
I make a conscious placement of the position of my arms and legs for my nap,
I listen to my breathing
I think about sleep and dreaming of whatever I want to dream about
And sometimes I watch the residual light behind my eyelids as it rotates counter-clockwise (or which ever direction is comfortable for you)

jasmine2

Postby jasmine2 » 08 May 2014 01:44

Narcolepsy apparently can cause a person to suddenly fall asleep in the midst of normal daily activities, even when driving. This could surely present many safety risks and social challenges.

- Here is an informative article about this disorder. -
"Narcolepsy: Symptoms and Treatment Of Narcolepsy" - www.helpguide.com

- Excerpt - "Scientists have discovered that people with narcolepsy are lacking in hypocretin (also called orexin), a chemical in the brain that activates arousal and regulates sleep."
One of the self-help recommendations is to try to take several 10 to 15 minutes naps during the day, and stick to a regular sleep schedule at night.

Return to “Sleep Disorders”